• Show
Clear All

• F40 transmission

anyone know the most power a f40 transmission will hold

I searched a few forums and the most I have seen so far is 600hp

Originally posted by P1P View Post
    anyone know the most power a f40 transmission will hold

I searched a few forums and the most I have seen so far is 600hp
    There have been a few Fieros that have pushed the 1000 hp range with the F40. Second gen F40 is supposed to hold up to more abuse.

Although I do not think that using a Fiero to measure the transmissions ability to hold up to power/torque is a good data base since the wheels would obviously spin long before the transmission would break.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
      There have been a few Fieros that have pushed the 1000 hp range with the F40. Second gen F40 is supposed to hold up to more abuse.

Although I do not think that using a Fiero to measure the transmissions ability to hold up to power/torque is a good data base since the wheels would obviously spin long before the transmission would break.

so is that a built tranny is that stock tranny ?

also I know at one time you was tinkering around with the f40 tranny did you eva get it to bolt up to the probe engine

Comment

so is that a built tranny is that stock tranny ?

also I know at one time you was tinkering around with the f40 tranny did you eva get it to bolt up to the probe engine
        That is stock.

Yes I did finish the transmission -but have never mounted it in a car yet. I have been distracted by other project cars that needed to go ahead of it. If I can finish up the one I am working on now -I plan to attempt to make a go at the F40 Probe.

These are fairly stout transmissions. And the Gen II is even more stout. I still have a low mile (30k) pull from an AWD with the transfer case that I would also like to cut and splice the same way I have done the first one. I also have the matching rear diff to go with it.

However -I do not feel that the AWD components would hold up to large HP. The rear end and transfer case are rather measly.
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

do you know any links with this tranny in a fiero making a 1000hp

i tried searching google ran into a few build threads but nothing over 600hp
          Last edited by P1P; April 9, 2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

do you know any links with this tranny in a fiero making a 1000hp

i tried searching google ran into a few build threads but nothing over 600hp
            If memory serves me correctly one was a dual turbo Northstar.

I have not looked into this for many years now -but I think the two websites that I was checking out the most were:

http://www.v8archie.us/

http://fiero.nl/

There were probably a few more websites -but those two are a good start.

I have done a little looking myself and am unable to find any of the beasty Fieros that I thought I had seen back in the days. Perhaps my memory is not serving me correctly -or they have disappeared. However, I was able to find like you said -a few making close to 600 hp. So let's just say then that a F40 will handle as much as 600 hp.
            Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 10, 2017, 04:15 AM.
            Restoration of a legend

Comment

If memory serves me correctly one was a dual turbo Northstar.

I have not looked into this for many years now -but I think the two websites that I was checking out the most were:

http://www.v8archie.us/

http://fiero.nl/

There were probably a few more websites -but those two are a good start.

I have done a little looking myself and am unable to find any of the beasty Fieros that I thought I had seen back in the days. Perhaps my memory is not serving me correctly -or they have disappeared. However, I was able to find like you said -a few making close to 600 hp. So let's just say then that a F40 will handle as much as 600 hp.
              thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
              X