Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Performance Section > Engine Electronics

Engine Electronics Do you own a Jacobs, MSD, MegaSquirt or other ignition/fuel system? Get in here and ask your questions!

Old August 13th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #1
B-Ball
Donating User

Megasquirt help

I am going to be running this set up on a 96 GT

MSPNP 2
IGN-6 Coil Pack
Quad Spark
98 626 harmonic balancer
OBD-I to OBD-II wiring harness adapter to accept mspnp made by Pile_of_rd1.

Am I missing anything to get this going? I know the first four items are for 93-95 probes.

I am needing to leave the world of unreliability and have a car that will have fewer probelums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #2
ChillinZX

You will need MSD 8849 (or similar) to modify your ignition wires to accept the coil pack. Also make sure your settings are correct in MS. And also don't forget to use a timing light to find 10 degrees, as per MS instructions.
2000 ZX2 w/ '95 Millenia KL swap, MSPNP (VAF delete, IAT mod, AEM Wideband, Coilpack), MFactory LSD and 'Plate Mod' 626 trans, Aeromotive fuel system, custom DSS 500hp axles, AWR solid trans mounts, KLG4 IM, MX3 GS brake booster/master combo, ebay headers, ebay CAI system, Ford Racing ZX2 inverted coilovers, Cusco camber plates all around, custom made traction bars mounted to frame rails, body kit, 2 tone paint, etc...
ChillinZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #3
B-Ball
Donating User

Good points. I have a timing light.

Will the disty block off plate have to be fabbed or do they make a block off plate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #4
ChillinZX

klg4-12-603, and make your own mounting braket. I just took a piece of scrap aluminum bent it 90 degrees and drilled holes in them.
2000 ZX2 w/ '95 Millenia KL swap, MSPNP (VAF delete, IAT mod, AEM Wideband, Coilpack), MFactory LSD and 'Plate Mod' 626 trans, Aeromotive fuel system, custom DSS 500hp axles, AWR solid trans mounts, KLG4 IM, MX3 GS brake booster/master combo, ebay headers, ebay CAI system, Ford Racing ZX2 inverted coilovers, Cusco camber plates all around, custom made traction bars mounted to frame rails, body kit, 2 tone paint, etc...

Last edited by ChillinZX; August 14th, 2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old August 14th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #5
B-Ball
Donating User

Diyauto also suggested using the GM map sensor. Part number GM3bar-map. Now they wanted me to use MicroSqrt3. If I use the DIYPNP2 do I need the map sensor?

Old August 14th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #6
ChillinZX

No. Per MSPNP instructions, the computer itself has a built-in MAP sensor. You tee it off at the fuel pressure regulator and run the vacuum tubing to the computer.
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #7
B-Ball
Donating User

Do you know anyone running MSPNP with the OBD-I to OBD-II adapter with this quad spark style setup?

Old August 16th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #8
yellow2point0
Donating Member

B-Ball,

I've been running the DIYPNP for a few good years now. If you want to use the GM IAT, you can. I would highly recommend it, especially if you're going to run some boost. It's pretty sturdy. However, the oem KL VAF has the pins for getting a reliable IAT reading (pins 3 & 5 if looking at the VAF connector).

The 36-1 harmonic balancer from KLG4 is perfect for converting to wasted spark. Use your stock Probe GT crank position sensor. It is a VR type and works fine. Just make sure you set the settings properly in TunerStudio decoder wheel/trigger wheel settings.

Don't stress it: as long as you convert OBDII to OBDI via the harness, you'll be fine.

here are my settings for the ignition settings while using the stock PGT crank position sensor and the KLG4 crank pulley with 36-1 teeth. Be advised, yours might be a bit different, especially if you're using the QuadSpark. ( Also, just follow the step by step directions here: http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/docs/ms....php?isModel=1 )
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #9
B-Ball
Donating User

Thanks for the info. My fear is the whole 96 obd II jargon. I am down here in Fort Walton Beach, so not that far from you.

Old October 8th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #10
mjohnson
Slow Learner

Do you need to use the QuadSpark? Or is there a way to setup the BIP373 kit from DIYAUTO with the MSPNP wasted spark setup?
mjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 01:58 AM   #11
yellow2point0
Donating Member

If you're using the MSPNP, yes, quadspark is the way to go. I'm a DIYPNP guy who assembled the Microsquirt-based system to my specs to fit my requirements. MSPNP is an already assembled system. Quadspark is much easier and convenient for your case, mjohnson
Old November 12th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #12
B-Ball
Donating User

How would I set timing if I am using quardspark and ign6 coil packs?

upon more reading I found what is wasted spark. Is that how the timing is set so I won't have a disty or cam sensor to turn to set timing? I am used to working on old v8 motors with carbs. This world of fuel injection is a whole new animal.

Last edited by B-Ball; November 12th, 2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Matt Cramer
Authorized PT Vendor

You would still put the timing light on the wire to the #1 sensor. You just change the tooth #1 angle in TunerStudio to move the timing.

My PM box fills up fast - it's much better to email me at
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 02:32 PM   #14
ChillinZX

Instead of turning the distributor, you would type in what you want it at, and change the offset to read it correctly.
Old December 6th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #15
B-Ball
Donating User

I have installed the unit with quad spark ignitor, ign6 coil packs, 36-1 toothed pulley, and OBDII to OBD I harness adaptor to make my stock wiring pnp with the ms2pnp unit. This car is a 96GT. Current list of obstacles are as followes; only four cylinders are firing, the AEM wideband is only reading full lean with the three --- on the display then bounces around and reboots.

I have chatted with Darren (king6fab), he suggests checking the voltage for each set of coils and cutting the distributor wire at the ECU.

My thought is maybe the OBD II to OBDI harness may be causing some issues, has anyone else ran this same setup before?

The harness was build by Scott D.

Old December 6th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #16
projectB10
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Ball View Post
..... only four cylinders are firing, the AEM wideband is only reading full lean with the three --- on the display then bounces around and reboots.

I have chatted with Darren (king6fab), he suggests checking the voltage for each set of coils and cutting the distributor wire at the ECU.

The harness was build by Scott D.
I had a very similar experience with a MSPnP2, using a king6FAB loom. Take a look at my fix on the following link which points at my Worklog on MX-3.com.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...80304&start=99
Eunos Presso HI-XS Special Edition, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , walbro 255,short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI,Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
projectB10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #17
ChillinZX

I had a similar issue with mine, one end of each of the 3 coils (1,3,5) were not firing. I switched ground sources for everything and it worked.

Last edited by ChillinZX; December 8th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:46 AM   #18
StreetThisMX6
PT Guru

B-Ball - Did you every get this issue resolved. I will be going down the same path here soon and am trying to do all of my research now. Thanks!