Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Performance Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Performance

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Performance Discussion of Performance topics for V6 2.5L

Old October 10th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #1
rod bender
Donating User

A mystery code.

My 95 GT will not start. I get a code 3 and a 41. OBD 1 of course. My Hanes book says 3 is cam sensor. The book does not list a 41. Are there other codes listed somewhere?Also when I back probe the red with black line wire that provides current to the distributor that powers the cam position sensor there is no current. I notice this wire also goes to about a half dozen other places. Surely I will not have to go from this point to every other sensor and position that has the red with black. Is there not a simpler way to diagnose this issue? Maybe the 41 code will provide a solution.
rod bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #2
dmark101
Obfuscatory & Abstruse Nomenclature

check out this page: SCPOC - Ford Probe Diagnostic Codes - 2nd Generation (OBD-I - 1993 to 1995)

Code 03 - Cylinder Identification (CID) Sensor

Code 41 - Variable Resonance Induction System (VRIS) Solenoid #1/High Speed Inlet Air (HSIA) Solenoid
dmark101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #3
BLUEnoEQ

The wire for the CPS goes up and down near the dipstick. Do you have timing covers on? Mine aren't on, so my CPS wire is zip tied to the dipstick tube but still very close to moving parts. It's one place to check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #4
rod bender
Donating User

Thanks for the response dmark and Blue. I will be sure to check that area.
Old October 13th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #5
rod bender
Donating User

My Haynes book says the cam position sensor is in the distributor. However, I do not seem to be getting any current to the distributor on the red and black line wire. Also, does the virs which gives a code 41 have anything to do with the cam sensor? What if I just run battery current to the red/black wire connection at the distributor?
Old October 13th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #6
BLUEnoEQ

No, do not hookup 12v to anything like that. That is a good way to make sure something is broken. What wire is the red/black wire, what is it supposed to do?

You should be able to read the wire out. I.e. disconnect at both ends ends and use a meter to read whether the wire is open somewhere. If one end is in the car and the other under the hood, you ground the wire at one end to the chassis (the outer part of the cigarette lighter works as a ground) and touch the red meter lead to the other end of the wire and the black lead to the chassis completing the circuit. If it reads 0 or a few ohms the wire is good. O.L. or really high resistance the wire could be broken. Also test if the wire reads to ground without your added wire. If it does then you could have a short.

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote