A smoking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A smoking problem

When the turbo is spooling and i'm at positive psi, i'm seeing a decent amount of smoke coming out of my exhaust. When at idle it does smoke a little bit too, but it always has just a little, even after my motor was rebuilt like 13,000 miles ago. Also, i felt the BOV opening and there was some oil there, but the turbo is brand new, and it has only been on the car for a couple months. The motor makes absolutely NO ticking sounds, or anything, when i just popped the hood, it sounded like a brand new engine, just FYI.

BEsides that, the car is driving unreal, it takes off by just resting my foot on the throttle.

The only other thing i have noticed, is sometimes it will idle really low, like 700 or so, and the car will vibrate, i don't really know what this means though..

any thoughts??? thanx Chris

Get an oil pressure gauge and put it on the oil feed line to the turbo. YOu probably have too much oil pressure at the turbo and it is blowing oil by the seals. You may need to get a restricter to lower the oil pressure.
    My SRT-4
    Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

that sounds like that could be causing it, the oil coming from the engine is tee'd off the oil sending unit by the oil filter, and its a steel line, not braided, just steel. I don't know if this would make a difference, but the line coming out of the turbo is freaking huge!! like its a bigass steel braided line. If u have a though, please post!! thanx

Comment

The line coming off the turbo to the oil pan should be huge. If it was too small it could also cause a high pressure problem and cause the seals to leak. THe line going to the turbo from your block should be small like -4an. IIRC the oil pressure should be around 5-10 psi at the turbo. If you put a pressure gauge at the turbo and it is higher than that that is probably your problem and a restrictor would probably fix it.
        My SRT-4
        Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

do u know anywhere where i could get a guage for real cheap and test it?? Also, would it be bad to just get a restrictor and see if that takes care of the problem??

Comment

yeah i had that same problem. either you need to decrease the size of your feed or get a reducer on you current feed. i picked one up from homedepot and just put a guage on it. But one thing that you will need to worry about is backpressure from the reducer which will cause leaks. Or you can get a bigger drain. like 3/4 or 1 inch. Also i hope that you have your feed at 12 and your drain at 6 o clock or somewhere around there.

i hope this helps bro

MATT
            my email address is still NOT working!

Comment

YOu can probably get a cheap oil pressure gauge at summitracing.com. a Mechanical one will do fine.
              My SRT-4
              Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

Originally posted by IM2GQ4U01
                yeah i had that same problem. either you need to decrease the size of your feed or get a reducer on you current feed. i picked one up from homedepot and just put a guage on it. But one thing that you will need to worry about is backpressure from the reducer which will cause leaks. Or you can get a bigger drain. like 3/4 or 1 inch. Also i hope that you have your feed at 12 and your drain at 6 o clock or somewhere around there.

i hope this helps bro

MATT
                Can u describe what u got, like maybe part numbers if u still have them offhand??? Also, where did u get ur gauge?? I'm hoping soo much this is the problem, it sounds like its coming from the turbo since there is oil in the bov, but i just hope the seals are still ok, cuz that was an expensive ass turbo!!!

thanks for both of u guys giving ur input!! later Chris

Comment

Hey Chris, have you talked to Andy and Anthony about this?

Comment

yes, andy thinks this sounds like it is prolly this..

Comment

Hopefully so!

Comment

Either your turbo seals are shot, your drain is too small, or you have part of the crankcase being pressurized. This happens by having a bad pcv valve, or the valve cover ventlines that used to enter the plastic elbow before the throttlebody getting boosted air and pressurizing the oil pan, which then pushes oil up INTO the bottom of the turbo instead of out.

Check them all out.

Nick
                        1993 PGT KLZE Turbo - Sold (12.9 @ 118mph)
                        1995 240SX RB20DET swap - Sold (330whp)
                        2000 Audi S4 TT - Sold (too heavy)
                        1995 BMW M3 - Custom made turbo kit (420whp/398wtq) Sold to pay for school
                        2003 VW GTI 20th Anniversary Edition - Chipped, exhaust, etc...

Comment

been waiting for a post like this for a while now....

i'm seeing a little blue smoke after letting off the throttle from boost. This only happens occasionally, but it still happens enough to bug me. Any ideas?....

i considered a restrictor, but all the turbo tuners i've spoke too have said it would be a bad idea, as you are better having too much oil rather then too little. Most have recommended i give the turbo a service and have the seals checked and rebalanced.

wat u reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by My_Probe_is_faster
                            Either your turbo seals are shot, your drain is too small, or you have part of the crankcase being pressurized. This happens by having a bad pcv valve, or the valve cover ventlines that used to enter the plastic elbow before the throttlebody getting boosted air and pressurizing the oil pan, which then pushes oil up INTO the bottom of the turbo instead of out.

Check them all out.

Nick
                            Hey i will check that out. Yesterday i went in for a quick oil change and they said the pcv valve looked ok, but maybe they are wrong, who knows, anywyas, i will try and see whats up, thanx again Chris

I JUST CHECKED, it seems that the rubber piece by the throttle body is on all they way, however, it feels like it could ne on further, i will check when its light out, also, there is alittle oil on the outside of the outlet pipe on the cold side of the turbo, so i think some is getting through that ic coupler, it made my hand wet with oil and i haven't driven since last night. THe drain coming formt he turbo is pretty damn large, but the tap in the oil pan isn't any larger then a 1/2 and i do'nt know ofthat big, i'm trying to remmeber what i put in there, its been a couple yrs since its been tapped, so i don't remmeber, anywyas thanx for all comments!! hopefully i can get this taken care of so i can boost and not smoke!! peopel prolly think my engine is shit now, until i take off like whoa!! haha, later

Comment

Ok,
                              The line that used to go into the back of the plastic elbow that went into the throttlebody...where is that line now? I need to know where you have that connected (if at all).

Also, how high up is the oil pan tapped? The .5" SHOULD be big enough, but if it isn't, an oil restrictor could help it. Too much actual oil flow to the turbo is common only in mitsu turbo's pretty much as they are meant to have low pressure feeds.

good luck, let me know about that line.

Nick
                              1993 PGT KLZE Turbo - Sold (12.9 @ 118mph)
                              1995 240SX RB20DET swap - Sold (330whp)
                              2000 Audi S4 TT - Sold (too heavy)
                              1995 BMW M3 - Custom made turbo kit (420whp/398wtq) Sold to pay for school
                              2003 VW GTI 20th Anniversary Edition - Chipped, exhaust, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X