Dash lights went out tail lights out parking lights out fog switch out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash lights went out tail lights out parking lights out fog switch out

My apologies if this isn't the right forum for this...but it's dark and raining here so I can't check much myself. My dash lights went out today....fog lights wouldn't come on...nor would the switch illuminate. The rear wiper switch works and illuminates.

I presume a fuse blew...but just wondering which one and what type/amperage it is so I can see what I have laying around and fix it in the morning.

I also noticed water on my kickpanes woofers after lots of rain(I never popped the white grommet back in after I ran 2 gauge through it because I was going to do my sleepy eyes too)...hope this didn't cause the above mentioned failures.

I believe it is the first or second fuse under the hood -- it is usually a blue one.

Dorothy
    Dorothy
    93 PGT ATX -- Audrey
    94 PGT MTX black -- 100% stock -- Edward -- he's looking for a new home
    A-Team
    www.GodsRods.com

Comment

I checked with what available light was out there (no batteries for my flashlights....arghhh) and it looks like one fuse is missing the tiny white plastic cap....but the metal is there. 40 amp I believe. Would excess rain/moisture/humidity be a possible cause or these things just happen?

If I recall it was the front left one and is the only one that is installed rotated 90 degrees.

Comment

Check the TAIL Fuse (15A) in the Main Fuse Panel (under the hood).
        KevinD
        1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

Originally posted by KevinD
          Check the TAIL Fuse (15A) in the Main Fuse Panel (under the hood).
          KevinD
          Thanks....searched for it and sounds like that's gotta be it. Is that Tail Fuse located in the kickpanel fuse (where I may have taken in water) or under the hood?

Comment

Originally posted by eFertLIS
            Thanks....searched for it and sounds like that's gotta be it. Is that Tail Fuse located in the kickpanel fuse (where I may have taken in water) or under the hood?
            kevin's post said 'under the hood'.
            ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Bad enough that I skipped it....but I quoted it too and still missed. Only defense is that it was 3 am....going to check now.

Comment

Okay....so my tail 15 amp fuse was out. I replaced it and that one went out. One more time and it went out to.

So I did just swap head units the day before I had this problem...which works fine as it isn't on the same circuit. I hooked up the illumination wire (which if I remember right didn't do anything) and used the ground in the stock harness.

There was massive amounts of rain and humidity here...I have Pilot 2055C fog lights and there is moisture in the bullet connections (I never taped them up) I spliced into the factory wires.

The only other thing is under the hoods fuse box...the one marked MAIN says it should have a 100 amp....well mine has a 30 amp fuse and appears to be in tact...has to have been there for a really long time as I never switched that. Also just checked and the 30 AMP head fuse under the hood has a 40 amp fuse. I am going to Pep Boys to get a 100 map and a 30 amp and a bunch of 15 amp fuses so let me know what else I can check. Hmmm? Any ideas?
                Last edited by eFertLIS; July 24, 2004, 01:23 PM.

Comment

If your main fuse is actually only 30A, it would be blown.
                  The Instrument Light Circuit feeds the Radio Illumination Circuit, as well. Double check the head unit wiring. If necessary, disconnect the Illumination & Illumination Return wires (IIRC, Orange & Orange with a White Stripe) and tape them off.
                  KevinD
                  1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

It is actually a 30 amp fuse and it's not blown....hmmm I am gonna snap a picture right now maybe I just don't know what that fuse type looks like blown.

Comment

http://www.eFertLIS.com/probe/main.jpg

Haynes manual said it would be melted if blown....doesn't look melted to me...unless they meant the plastic being melted.

http://www.eFertLIS.com/probe/all.jpg

And since there is another without the plastic cap I figured it was okay.
                      Last edited by eFertLIS; July 24, 2004, 01:35 PM.

Comment

That's not a 30A fuse. Look how thick the bridge is. Pull the big white cover off. Is it a 130? Or maybe the clear plastic piece got swapped over from the one that's missing it.

edit: Plus, 30A fusible links (those big fuses) are pink colored. That one is blue.
                        Last edited by CajunCC; July 24, 2004, 01:46 PM.
                        Matt Martin
                        2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Comment

Let me go and see....but I think the one you believe is "missing" it is rotated 90 degrees and a different brand...cause it says 40 amp (supposed to be a 30 amp) there.

So it definitely says 30 amp on the main fuse...but it's the same brand as the pink 30 amp.

The other 40 amp is actually a different brand and is in tact.
                          Last edited by eFertLIS; July 24, 2004, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eFertLIS
                            http://www.eFertLIS.com/probe/main.jpg

Haynes manual said it would be melted if blown....doesn't look melted to me...unless they meant the plastic being melted.
                            That's actually a 100A fuse for the main; for some reason it's got a 30A cover on it (they just snap on & off).
                            And the melted part would be the metal strip; if the plastic tried to melt, you'd have an engine fire in the making.
                            http://www.eFertLIS.com/probe/all.jpg

And since there is another without the plastic cap I figured it was okay.
                            I don't see any missing plastic caps in this picture
                            Do you mean the white part is missing? That's a support structure for the fuse element, and it varies by the fuse manufacturer.
                            KevinD

Comment

I am off to Pep Boys for some more 15 amp fuses...thanks guys for saving me from buying more then needed with the other ones. I will try the radio method Kevin....your help is much appreciated.

Nobody mentioned the fogs....that shouldn't be a problem? The connections are covered by rubber so no metal on metal shorts....the water won't affect anything?

Comment

Working...
                              X