Replacing the alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikexmayhem View Post
    let us know how it goes cuz i might have to be changing mine here this weekend and can use all the help/tips i can get. first-timer as well lol
    I'll do that.

But it may not be readable - I'm not sure how much cussing they allow to be posted in one go.
    1994 Probe GT - still going at 333,000 kms; 2004 Jeep Liberty; 2007 Harley Davidson Road King

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
      ^^^ all the above info is wrong and dangerous. You run the risk of cracking a very old a/c line by bending it out of shape. Am I the only one that has learned removing the radiator fans is way easier. As long as we are talking Probe and not Mx6.
      It is from the factory shop manual, yes you do stress the lines ... go ahead and take the radiator out if you want. My lines did not crack and I have
      lowered the compressor more than once.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Originally posted by Starfire View Post
      I think I'm gonna go with the rad removal simply cuz I can't find the other two bolts on the compressor, and I don't wanna risk bleeding anymore freon off of the system.

I'm already being held accountable for enough stuff without destroying the ozone too!!!!
      The bolts that are for the freon lines are fairly obvious since they go
      through the fittings at the end of the lines. If you find a bolt up there
      that is not on the fittings then you probably got it. But go ahead and
      take out the radiator if you prefer.
      Last edited by Pete93ProbeGT; October 12, 2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't mention it if I never seen it done. Makes sense for a old pressurized and hardened hose.
        ^^^ all the above info is wrong and dangerous. You run the risk of cracking a very old a/c line by bending it out of shape. Am I the only one that has learned removing the radiator fans is way easier. As long as we are talking Probe and not Mx6.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

That's why I mentioned it's a Risk, not always will it happen and by bending I mean any position other then the U shape it's in. So if you tell 100 people to do it it your way and 2 people break a hose then you just caused them to break a hose, and while some people might sit the compressor on a stand while out of the way, some will just let it hang and the weight of the compressor will put stress on a "Old hardened pressurized hose". My way may scratch your arm while trying to loosen the radiator fan bolts.
        Originally posted by lenmeister432 View Post
        I just did it with no problems ? didnt bend the line what-so-ever ? it comes straight down off the hard line that runs to the condensor...with enough slack to move it without bending it one bit. it's in no way wrong or a ...just because it's not as easy. and yeah if you bend the hell out of the line then it could possibly be dangerous. The haynes manual tells you to do it while the radiator is still in place on the vehicle.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------
        Who said anything about removing radiator? Oh and take it from a Dealer mechanic " the book is never the best way at replacing something". You think the engineers experimented 10 different ways to replace a part? Hell no, and on top of that as the car ages, parts weaken so different methods are needed. It's the mechanic that ends up fixing the car that you should listen to not the BOOK!

Not a Rant just needs to be said.

Originally posted by Pete93ProbeGT View Post
        It is from the factory shop manual, yes you do stress the lines ... go ahead and take the radiator out if you want. My lines did not crack and I have
        removed the compressor more than once.[COLOR="Silver"]
        Last edited by mac1; October 12, 2010, 10:24 PM.
        1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
        1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
        2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
        2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
        1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

It sounds like a rant, and I did it by the book and it worked out fine,
          as I stated in my first post. You do not seem to be absolutely right
          considering that your strong objection might suggest so.

Comment

You do not seem to be absolutely right
            considering that your strong objection might suggest so.
            Keeping my mouth shut on this one, I just hate that after 10 years with this site people still mention "the book", we are a revised version of it.

Comment

lowered the compressor more than once.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

The bolts that are for the freon lines are fairly obvious since they go
              through the fittings at the end of the lines. If you find a bolt up there
              that is not on the fittings then you probably got it. But go ahead and
              take out the radiator if you prefer.
              The problem I'm having with the whole process is not being able to see or easily access much of anything in that area.

Limited space and 16 years of grime are making it tough on this old boy. I'm just looking at getting at it the easiest way possible. Having said that I do appreciate everyone taking the time to express their thoughts and opinions.

As we all know there's more than one way to, as they say, kill the cat.

Thanks.
              1994 Probe GT - still going at 333,000 kms; 2004 Jeep Liberty; 2007 Harley Davidson Road King

Comment

Originally posted by Starfire View Post
                The problem I'm having with the whole process is not being able to see or easily access much of anything in that area.

Limited space and 16 years of grime are making it tough on this old boy. I'm just looking at getting at it the easiest way possible. Having said that I do appreciate everyone taking the time to express their thoughts and opinions.

As we all know there's more than one way to, as they say, kill the cat.

Thanks.
                Especially the ones that chill on top of my cars . But on a more serious note, my way doesn't require jacking up the car, kneeling down or getting crud in your face while down there I get lightheaded after doing all that.
                Last edited by mac1; October 12, 2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Especially the ones that chill on top of my cars . But on a more serious note, my way doesn't require jacking up the car, kneeling down or getting crud in your face while down there I get lightheaded after doing all that.
                  Well the car's already jacked up, I knelt down, and I have crud all over the place. Lightheaded doesn't begin to describe.

And after all that I came here.

Now I get to put it all together again and try the other way.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to suggest solutions. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

easy way to do it, disconnect battery and and all wires going to the alternator, one plugs in and the other bolts on. jack the car up and support with jack stand,loosen belt tensioner lockdown nut(17mm) and turn the 10mm adjusting screw until you can remove the belt, remove the top radiator hose, always access to top alternator bolt, you dont have to but it makes it a whole lot easier. remove the four(4) compressor bolts they have a rectangular pattern i think there 12mm bolts at least mine is.behind the passenger side headlight the ac line is held on a little rubber bracket with a 10mm bolt remove it and it allows you to move the compressor down and to the side( if your worried about your lines just simply tie it up with a piece of string or wire). now you can remove the top alternator bolt(12mm) and the thru bolt on the bottom of the alternator(14mm)*the thru bolt will come out as it hits the frame so just pull it out as far as you can now u can let the alternator swing down you might have to use a little force not much to get alternator of the block and there u go pull it out the bottom install is just the reverse

Comment

I JUST DID THIS A WEEK AGO. There are 4 bolts holding the AC compressor in. You have to remove the compressor first, or the alternator will not be able to swing down far enough to come off. The whole take the fans/radiator out is crap. You down need to mess with that if you don't want to. The fans may give you a little extra room, but you don't have to. So get the compressor out with the 12mm socket. You got the first two out, the other two are right above them. AC comes down. Unhook the wiring to the alternator. I would advise unhooking the battery, or you may get some unwanted sparks will put some brown in your pants. Unbolt the top bolt on alt. (12mm) then unbolt the lower bolt (14mm I think) and pull the bolt out until it hits the engine bay wall. Push the alternator down and it will swing right off. Then put your new one on. Easy as pie.
                      95 pgtze RIP
                      93 pgtze the powerplant of my 95 lives on.
                      94 pgtze-t Work in progress.
                      95 pgtze DD
                      63 Pontiac Catalina 389cid stock except for MSD

Comment

yep 4 bolts , i have my poor ol car dissembled for hg replacement if you need any pics.
                        96 MX6 M Edition , V6 5 speed. 95 MX6,I4 manual - work in progress,but still DD . 94 626,V6 automatic - the family (wife's) car. 94 626 V6 auto ,parting out.

Comment

Originally posted by klzeprobe View Post
                          I JUST DID THIS A WEEK AGO. There are 4 bolts holding the AC compressor in. You have to remove the compressor first, or the alternator will not be able to swing down far enough to come off. The whole take the fans/radiator out is crap. You down need to mess with that if you don't want to. The fans may give you a little extra room, but you don't have to. So get the compressor out with the 12mm socket. You got the first two out, the other two are right above them. AC comes down. Unhook the wiring to the alternator. I would advise unhooking the battery, or you may get some unwanted sparks will put some brown in your pants. Unbolt the top bolt on alt. (12mm) then unbolt the lower bolt (14mm I think) and pull the bolt out until it hits the engine bay wall . Push the alternator down and it will swing right off. Then put your new one on. Easy as pie.
                          SOrry but what is it with all the misread, and wrong information being mentioned continuously. YOU DONT NEED TO REMOVE THE RADIATOR OR THE HOSES!!! the fans are held on by 4 10mm bolts and 2 for the degasser, once the bolts are loose you raise the fans up on the driver side END and slide it out. Do I need to do a write up with pics? Holy hell peeps
                          Last edited by mac1; October 13, 2010, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjvjr View Post
                            yep 4 bolts , i have my poor ol car dissembled for hg replacement if you need any pics.
                            It isn't news to anybody, just an FYI I dont think there is a a/c compressor in the world that is not held on by exactly 4 bolts

Comment

Tjvjr and mac1 and anyone else for that matter.

Pics are good. Pics are very good.
                              It's been my experience that most people are visual learners.
                              The training officer's sop - "I tell you how, I show you how. Then you tell me how, you show me how"

Comment

Okay, it's out!!!!!

Ended up taking it out the bottom simply because the car was jacked up and two of the compressor bolts were already out. Amazing what a brighter light will reveal.

Thanks everyone for your help. With 330,000 km on the car I've a feeling I'll be returning for advice regularly.

Comment

Working...
                                X