Endurance Racing/Front Hubs Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endurance Racing/Front Hubs Help!

Hey guys, new to the forum. Some friends and I have a 1991 Ford Probe that started life as a GT but has since had the 3.0 engine swap done. We use it for endurance racing and have had quite a bit of success with it. It's a pretty fun car to drive on the track and surprises a lot of the people around us.

Problem we are having is a lack of hubs. Our front hubs are damaged and I am finding it very difficult to find new or used hubs. Rockauto has several 4cyl base model hubs, but nothing that fits the GT or V6 model. Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated!

I'll post some pictures and check out the for sale section once my post count gets high enough.

I found a hub assembly from a 626 in a salvage yard, can anyone here confirm whether or not this will work? I already learned the hard way there is a difference between the 4cly NA version and the GT/V6 versions. I've also heard a rumor that 2nd generation hubs will work also, can anyone confirm this? May help in my search of salvage yards.

Comment

When you say hub, what part specifically? The part you press into the wheel bearing that has the lug studs on it? The whole knuckle assembly?

I don't believe any of that is interchangeable with the 2G...Preparing to stand corrected...
      Ryan
      '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
      SMF Prep:
      MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

Originally posted by dillinr View Post
        When you say hub, what part specifically? The part you press into the wheel bearing that has the lug studs on it? The whole knuckle assembly?

I don't believe any of that is interchangeable with the 2G...Preparing to stand corrected...
        I just mean the hub assembly. The portion that is pressed into the knuckle/bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by gavinegr View Post
          I found a hub assembly from a 626 in a salvage yard, can anyone here confirm whether or not this will work? I already learned the hard way there is a difference between the 4cly NA version and the GT/V6 versions. I've also heard a rumor that 2nd generation hubs will work also, can anyone confirm this? May help in my search of salvage yards.

The whole knuckle assembly from the 626 would be compatible with your car if it has the h type trans (Turbo model) However make sure you note the difference in tie rod ends if its from a gen1a (88-89)
          1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
          1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
          2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
          2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Okay, found a local Mazda dealership that has a couple of 1991 626 hubs. Part number is GJ5533060A. Will these work?

Comment

626gt hubs will work. 2nd gens hubs will not. The center point is different which effects handling. Not something you really want to do.
              PaTricK
              ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Thanks guys! We have a race coming up in April and I was starting to wonder if we'd be able to make it. We really like racing the probe platform and getting a couple of hubs, and maybe a couple of spares will go a long way in ensuring a future with it.

Comment

Okay, found a local Mazda dealership that has a couple of 1991 626 hubs. Part number is GJ5533060A. Will these work?
                  Those should be just what you need, the LX with the V6 and the GT used the same hubs. Mazda dealers will probably be one of the last sources for that part. You do want the GJ55 model and not the GJ51.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Also, where are you located? I would love love love to check out endurance racing prep and results for a probe with the 3.0L. I hope to provide some identical competition for you guys in the future. In which series do you participate?
                  Greg Martin
                  2009 BMW 328i
                  2017 BMW X3
                  1990 Probe LX

Comment

Originally posted by Bufalo View Post
                    [/COLOR]Also, where are you located? I would love love love to check out endurance racing prep and results for a probe with the 3.0L. I hope to provide some identical competition for you guys in the future. In which series do you participate?
                    Thanks for the help! I'll give them a call Monday morning. I have managed to secure a couple of used hubs from people I have met here.

I'm
                    In east Texas, Tyler, to be exact. You close? We are in the 24 Hours of Lemons and are probably going to do the Chump Series race in Texas this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
                      626gt hubs will work. 2nd gens hubs will not. The center point is different which effects handling. Not something you really want to do.
                      yes but that is regarding the position of the knuckle, not the actual hub itself.
                      1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
                      1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
                      2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
                      2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                      2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

I'm in east Texas, Tyler, to be exact. You close? We are in the 24 Hours of Lemons and are probably going to do the Chump Series race in Texas this year.
                        I'm way up in the north east, but I'll be watching for your pictures and results.
                        Greg Martin
                        2009 BMW 328i
                        2017 BMW X3
                        1990 Probe LX

Comment

I know its an old thread, but I'm needing a hub to keep my 92 LX going. Anybody got one?

Comment

Originally posted by 92v65spd View Post
                            I know its an old thread, but I'm needing a hub to keep my 92 LX going. Anybody got one?
                            I found 1 thread about hubs that you managed to not post in from 1994!
                            Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
                            Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
                            Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Working...
                            X