Mustang throttle body on klg4??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang throttle body on klg4??

Has anyone had experience using a mustang throttle body on one of the klde or klze setups? I have a few extra and was wondering if it is beneficial and how hard it is to swap it on there . Thanks guys .

Originally posted by 9gt5 View Post
    Has anyone had experience using a mustang throttle body on one of the klde or klze setups? I have a few extra and was wondering if it is beneficial and how hard it is to swap it on there . Thanks guys .
    Not beneficial at all unless you make your KL breath more. The KL was designed for maximum Volumetric Efficiency (VE) with all of the parts in the stock combination. If you stray away from that VE by only changing to a larger throttle body -then your engine performance begins to slope downward. So first make it breath more (IE cams, intake, exhaust) and then worry about a larger TB.

It is much like people that think they can just dump more fuel in with larger injectors and make more power. People on here warn them -and then they do it anyway -and then later on come back complaining about crappy performance, stumbling and smell of fuel in the exhaust.

Or -if you are not interested in performance and just want some "bling-bling" -then throw it on there along with a fart can and you will be good to go!
    Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 11, 2017, 12:35 PM.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Well I have intake and borla exhaust .... cams will be next I'm trying to find somewhere other than colt though that seems to be the only option ..

Comment

Well I have intake and borla exhaust...
        By intake -do you mean a cold air intake? That doesn't really improve air flow and most of them aren't really cold air intakes like they say they are. They take air from behind the radiator -which means hot air and not cold. So I do not know where they got that term from. If you were to take the intake all the way under or around the radiator to grab air from in front like the stock air neck -then you would have a cold (or at least cooler) air intake.

If you are running a stock DE intake -you need to ditch that thing for either a long neck KLZE intake or a ported KLG4.

... cams will be next I'm trying to find somewhere other than colt though that seems to be the only option ..
        ... Unless you source though Australia or New Zealand. There are a couple of places down there. But Colt does a great job. I have had them make me two sets. I am impressed with their work.
        Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 11, 2017, 03:23 PM.
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

I have a klg4 intake I need to get it ported yet to match my klze heads ... I wish they made more performance items for these motors considering so many cars had variations of them ! I'm trying to find the phenolic spacers as well

Comment

I have a klg4 intake I need to get it ported yet to match my klze heads ... I wish they made more performance items for these motors considering so many cars had variations of them ! I'm trying to find the phenolic spacers as well
            Phenolic spacers don't really do a lot for you either. They keep the intake marginally cooler for a little longer (20-30 minutes) than without them. And once the engine bay becomes heat soaked -the manifold will be just as hot as it would be without. So you end up with 20-30 minutes of run time with unmeasureable gains from an unproven mod.

Try to find one instance where someone has dynoed before and after installing spacers alone -with no other mods -to support the claim of gains -and you won't find one. It doesn't exist. And also -if you install a KLG4 intake with phenolic spacers -you will 100% for sure have hood rub problems.

I already have had KLG4 rub against the OEM hood insulation -and with the spacers it would likely end up being metal to metal rub. But again -if you want them -throw them in along with a grossly over-sized TB, some Millenia "S" injectors, a fart can and a big "H" sticker in the rear window. It works for some!
            Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 12, 2017, 08:38 AM.
            Restoration of a legend

Comment

How much porting does the klg4 intake need ? can I just port match and do the throat or does it need more work than that ? I'm just trying to get the most torque that I can out of this klze motor !

Comment

How much porting does the klg4 intake need ? can I just port match and do the throat or does it need more work than that ? I'm just trying to get the most torque that I can out of this klze motor !
                The most torque with the least invested would be the curved neck intake. If you do decide to port the KLG4 -yes the neck would need to be opened up some. I will have to re-do my photo links for the "How To" on porting the KLG4 intake.
                Restoration of a legend

Comment

Thanks I appreciate all your responses .

Comment

curve neck millennia intake is best for torque on a klze then ? I got this car with the klze and it had the DE intake manifold on it I took it apart and the heads and cams are kl31 I just need the intake for most power

Comment

just want to be sure if I buy a curve neck millennia intake that's the one I need for torque

Comment

just want to be sure if I buy a curve neck millennia intake that's the one I need for torque
                        The DE intake is the worst.

The curved neck is best for low to mid range torque compared to unmodified intakes.

The long neck sucks for low end torque but is good for upper end RPMs.

The KLG4 is the best for both worlds when you do the work to it. But it takes a lot of work to get it there.

So your best "bolt on" torque will definitely be the curved neck.
                        Restoration of a legend

Comment

that is the curve neck from the millennia ? I see one on ebay for 69.99 !! I'm considering buying it right now

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Sorry I probably sound like a dumbass but I'm just trying to figure this part out the right way the first time .. I have a klg4 sitting here but I don't wanna do the port work .

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intake-Mani...97.m4902.l9144

Comment

that is the curve neck from the millennia ? I see one on ebay for 69.99 !! I'm considering buying it right now
                            Before you do -keep in mind that it is a taller intake manifold and if you have a Probe -you will have rub. What some people have done is to elevate the hood hinges with some washers. This lifts the rear of the hood some and gives you more clearance to the intake manifold.
                            Restoration of a legend

Comment

that's the link for it .. let me know if I should get it please !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X