Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe they may be smaller all around...i ordered 24 brand new ones from the dealer (my car is a '96 so i ordered for a '96...stupid mistake) and they didn't fit my ze valve locks properly.

Originally posted by 92PGT-S 3.0V6
    adjat84th what you sayin is that 96+ have smaller upper retainers and smaller locks on exhaust side, BUT they have same intake retainers/locks like 93-95 (wich is with bigger hole in retainers and bigger locks)
    Am i right ?

Comment

• Does 93-95 have same size retainers/locks in intake and exhaust side and are they bigger ones or smaller compare to 96+
      Last edited by 92PGT-S 3.0V6; October 14, 2005, 01:15 AM.
      Proud ex owner 92 Probe LX 5 speed
      94 Mustang GT vert H/C/I 12.76 @ 105 with 4050lbs
      My "Slow5.0 Compilation" video
      My "Slow5.0 Dyno Compilation" video
      89 BMW 325i Winter ride

Comment

• well when i did my DE spring and retainer swap on the ZE heads, i used both intake and exhaust locks and retainers on just the intake side of my ZE heads and they all fit fine
        94 PGT-T Blanchard V "most interior panels missing" winner (parted out)
        90 miata t3/t4, meagsquirt, and more
        95 lincoln mark VIII
        06 GSXR 600

Comment

• www.fordparts.com list different retainers for 93-95 than 96/97.
          Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
          1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

• Originally posted by Fastest95PGT
            www.fordparts.com list different retainers for 93-95 than 96/97.
            https://www.trademotion.com/partloca...96&catalogid=1 ???
            Local Ford Dealer told me they don'r make retainers or locks any more
            89 BMW 325i Winter ride

Comment

• Originally posted by bryantaylor
              well when i did my DE spring and retainer swap on the ZE heads, i used both intake and exhaust locks and retainers on just the intake side of my ZE heads and they all fit fine
              You probably ordered them for a '94 seeing as that's what's in your sig. So, yes...they should all be the same intake and exhaust....the '96+ have different sizes as Jeff reaffirmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by adjat84th
                You probably ordered them for a '94 seeing as that's what's in your sig. So, yes...they should all be the same intake and exhaust....the '96+ have different sizes as Jeff reaffirmed.
                96+ save smaller sizes on just intake or exhaust side ???
                89 BMW 325i Winter ride

Comment

• Originally posted by 92PGT-S 3.0V6
                  96+ save smaller sizes on just intake or exhaust side ???
                  On BOTH, because all are the same on the DE motor regardless of year...just for '96+ they used different sizes for both I/E. The ZE exhaust retainers are the same as the '93-'95, whereas the intake are larger in diameter with the same size hole for the keepers.

Comment

• my motor is a 93 and i just used springs and retainers from my 95 junk motor, looks like i got lucky, lol
                    94 PGT-T Blanchard V "most interior panels missing" winner (parted out)
                    90 miata t3/t4, meagsquirt, and more
                    95 lincoln mark VIII
                    06 GSXR 600

Comment

• There have been recent, interesting developments in the area of valve spring technology that some of you may be interested in.
                      Racers have found that much of the valve float problem has been caused by the spring harmonics, not spring pressure.

Previously the solution to valve float was to throw the motor a heavier valve spring. Sometimes this worked sometimes it didn't. Years ago there was never an answer to why this is the case. The invention of the spintronic machine which has recently been in wider use gave the answer.

The springs reaching a certain resonant frequency is the cause of much of the problems all engines have with valve float. When that frequency is reached, the spring loses its ability to hold the valve against the seat or cam lobe. Resulting in bashing of the valvetrain breaks parts like springs, retainers and locks.

What many V8 builders have found is the use of ovoid(egg shaped) spring wire reduces the tendency of the spring to resonate.

More revolutionary but unusual looking is a new, old spring design.
                      what has been found is that the use of a "bee hive" springs design can really reduce the onset of valve float. Because the diameter of "bee hive" springs changes from the spring seat(bigger) to the retainer end (smaller) the spring(which is shaped like a bee's hive) tends to not reach that critical resonant frequency.
                      As a side benefit, the retainer end of the spring is smaller, resulting in a smaller, stronger and lighter retainer, which increased rpm potential.
                      Probe is now gone!

Comment

Working...
                      X