Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Photography, Video, Photoshop > Probe Pic & Video Post

Probe Pic & Video Post Post your PROBE-RELATED pics and Videos here!

Old March 24th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #101
proboner

There has been more than one occasion in this (now mulit-year) project when it has just seemed like a practice in futility. NEVER getting the MS to pick-up crank signal is definitely one that comes to mind. Back around Christmas when I finally said **** it and pulled the entire harness, the end had never seemed so distant.

Over my extended Christmas break I spent a lot of time on this car... to the point that my girlfriend was genuinely sad that I was "choosing the car over her". But even with those many days of straight car work, I had really only made a decent sized dent in the to-do list. I kept slogging at this project weekend after weekend and as many weeknights as I could, all with the understanding that I was WELL into uncharted waters and really flying by the seat of my pants. The small successes along the way kept me going, but the small failures always had a particularly deflating effect.

Getting crank signal for the first time last week was probably the biggest victory for me in this fight. Megasquirt had this mysterious hold over my psyche, like a unicorn that was all together understood but elusive at the same time. Starting the car this week, for the first time in over 2 years, while an enormous accomplishment, wasn't quite as exciting as it should have been. There are still trials ahead and some potentially large obstacles presented by relatively small items. Months ago I had assumed the brake electrics would be a straight forward task, but after my first failed attempt, I was left baffled at their operation. I'd also tried and failed to wire 2 separate starter buttons, and was left to starting the car with a remote button from the engine bay. As well, on Wednesday night when going to start the car again, I found that the fuel/ignition relay wasn't clicking on when I flipped the switch. Ugh, the setbacks were coming almost as quickly as the victories!

The latter half of this week I spent obsessively buying parts to redo the fuel system in the engine bay and get the car REALLY running this weekend. I had 2 orders from Summit and 3 from Amazon to get the parts that I needed, from Wednesday to today. I was reservedly excited for the work ahead.

Well when I got home from work today I was greeted by boxes on my doorstep. I diagnosed last night that the issue wasn't with the ignition/fuel relay, but that the main 150amp remote battery isolator (with all of like 1 hour of overall use) was only intermittently transferring power across it's posts. I opened the new Cole Hersee (brand name and expensive hopefully equals quality) isolator and installed it in place of the broken no namer.

Went in the passenger compartment and checked the switches... all is well again. At that moment I looked up at the brake pedal switch and saw that one of the electrical wires coming out of hit was bare and unconnected. Huh, surely that must have been connected when I'd previously attempted to wire the brake lights. Lets just plug it in real quick and see what happens. ****ING BRAKE LIGHTS WORK! YES!

As I was basking in joy, I realize that this may be the fix to the starter button as well... let me explain. I purchased this ebay alarm system that has an included/hard wired remote start button. It requires that you disarm the system before the start button can be used. There are a couple harnesses that connect to this alarm, and I had installed the main one, but couldn't get the start button to work, despite the main box being wired directly to the starter solenoid. Looking over the installation instructions, which were written in VERY broken English, I found step 3 which stated: "Foot brake inspection wire. This wire need to connect or not able to use smart push start/stop button. The input wire for this foot brake inspection wire is positive (+) 12V wire. If this wire not correct connect, when press the push button which just blinks but not able to keep lighting on continuously."

Well with the brake lights now working, this is the time to test that theory. Quickly spliced a few wires together, got in the drivers seat, flipped the main and MS isolator switches to the on position, pressed the braked, and pushed the start switch and guess what happened. When I press the push button it no just blinks it able to keep lighting on continuously!

For those of you who are rightfully confused as to what that means, she starts from the security system push button! YES!

Anyways, this is massively long winded. I've just got very high spirits and am excited for the work to come this weekend! The list consists of:
-redoing all the engine bay fuel lines/routing
-mounting the AFPR
-replacing the fuel filter
-setting the timing (except I don't have a timing belt cover to go off of, so I'll by trying to set it to 0 off the camshaft timing marks?
-replacing the spark plugs
-changing the oil
-changing the coolant
-setting the base and WOT fuel pressure
-bringing her up to operating temp for the first time
-reinstalling the dash
-reinstalling the passenger seat
-trying to do some custom wiring of the exhaust cutout
-ALL THE THINGS!

See you all on the other side!
-

Elo-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Project RWD- RWD PGT For Sale... pm me if interested
proboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #102
proboner

Bored at work, but I did test fit the dash, center console, and run Shadow Dash on my tablet in demo mode yesterday...

Elo-

Last edited by proboner; March 28th, 2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old March 29th, 2017, 04:44 AM   #103
Greg 94 PGT
Donating Member

Congrats on the most recent victory. Keep at it.

My project car is not nearly as detailed of a "rebuild" as yours and mine took a while too (probably longer than yours so far). Still working out bugs here and there too.

Don't let the setbacks discourage you. When you have one - try to slow down mentally and break down the problem into smaller steps, don't look at it as one big problem. It can help you from feeling overwhelmed and getting discouraged.

'04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?"
379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*
Greg 94 PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 01:04 PM   #104
proboner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 94 PGT View Post
Don't let the setbacks discourage you. When you have one - try to slow down mentally and break down the problem into smaller steps, don't look at it as one big problem. It can help you from feeling overwhelmed and getting discouraged.
Yeah, learning this one slowly and the hard way. I try to break all the individuals projects down into specific steps, and if I get to the end of one and it doesn't work out well, I just move on to the next project for the day and let it all process overnight. Usually I come to much more rational conclusions and ways to troubleshoot later on in the evening than I do on the spot in the midst of frustration.

Elo-

Old April 2nd, 2017, 10:16 PM   #105
proboner

So things have been happening, despite my lack of posted updates. Starting off with last weekend...

Had leaks in the fuel system, notably at the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. This was my fault, trying to use -6AN steel braided fuel lines to rubber fuel hose push on connections. Also went ahead and put new fittings at the fuel rail inlet and outlet to run the lines a bit cleaner.
AFPR before

AFPR after

Routing before

Routing after

It's not particularly visible, but there is a new black anodized 90*, 45* bend, 135* bend at the AFPR, and -6AN fuel filter all hidden in there. Allows the fuel lines to be run a bit more out of sight, and below the TB/intake system.

I had long finished the power wiring from the battery to the interior, and went on to run all the accessory stuff from the interior out to the front of the car as well. Turn signals, fans, and fan. I did this so that I could cover the individual "harnesses" and button everything back up.
General idea of what it looked like before (minus the new stuff)

How it looked after it was all wrapped

And the fender and bumper back in place

Even reinstalled the stock grommet

Decided to test fit the headlight idea again

And then for shits and giggles, as I posted evidence of previously, I threw the dash back in to remember how it all looked

This weekend I was determined to get the car back on the ground. to do this I had to pull the exhaust back off to paint the underside of the cutout cover, replace the 10 year old wideband, mount and run the ancillary pieces of the nitrous bottle, and reinstall part of the exhaust shield.

Pretty much 100% that I can put it down for good, but decided to leave it up until I'm ready for it's first drive. Next I pulled the dash and front seat and started into some more wiring, specifically mounting the relay box.

Took a step back during the process to document the insanity!

Managed to get the fuel pump/ignition relay and fans relays wired up, however my initial attempt to trigger the fans from the MS3X VVT output was a failure. Haven't researched it much, but casually read it was a negative trigger, which it doesn't seem to be... or I'm missing something in my Tuner Studio settings.

Finished covering the MS/Main power wiring as well... it's the lone piece covered in black loom in the mess below, heading to the switch panel

That is the example of what all of this will eventually look like

Lastly I finished up the modifications to the drivers door, including filling all the unneeded holes and painting it. Just need to order some new (3M this time) carbon fiber vinyl to cover the door panel and its good to go. Also removed the hood, which really should have been done like 3 years ago, but hey! How she looks now (don't mind the overflow canister sitting there):

Elo-

Last edited by proboner; April 3rd, 2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:17 PM   #106
panic37
Donating User

I always look forward to your updates. Seeing others continuing to stay motivated somehow motivates me to stay motivated-- make sense? Lol. All in all, great work man and keep those updates coming. Look forward to seeing this on the streets!
panic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #107
proboner

Quote:
Originally Posted by panic37 View Post
I always look forward to your updates. Seeing others continuing to stay motivated somehow motivates me to stay motivated-- make sense? Lol. All in all, great work man and keep those updates coming. Look forward to seeing this on the streets!
Thanks man. Don't have the community that we did a few years back, but it's nice to know SOMEONE is on here! Hopefully she'll be on the streets after this coming weekend. Need to get the wiring close to completele behind the dash before I "permanently" reinstall. Updates shall follow!

Elo-

Old April 6th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #108
proboner

Got a new thing

And it went here

Elo-

Old April 11th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #109
proboner

And then the rest of the crew showed up...

Elo-

Old April 12th, 2017, 07:34 AM   #110
plx92

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboner View Post
And then the rest of the crew showed up...
http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...ps473dcmss.jpg
That looks great
2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
2017 BRZ Premium_Daily
plx92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 09:38 PM   #111
proboner

Let us continue!

Next step is to get things ready for the dash to go back in. First things first, decided to get that bad boy painted up so it doesn't look like a rusty POS. Separated the skeleton from the dash and weighed them... roughly 18lbs each. Then went about sanding the loose rust off.
Before:

After:

And with the dash reinstalled along with the gauges

Looks alright, but not quite as planned... so I applied some CF vinyl.

Then I moved back to the wiring behind the dash. I had run most of the circuits and spent most of my day today getting it all organized in preparation to be wrapped. To break up some of the tedium, I also went ahead and wrapped all the wiring in the back of the car, running to the tail lights, fuel pump, and 3rd brake light.

You can see here what I'm working with. The PO dynamatted the entire rear and I am DREADING trying to remove that crap. Anyway, hold downs will need to be installed to clean this all up, now that it's wrapped.

And that's unfortunately all I've got picture wise! Not really a lot to document, but much of the minutia was addressed. Tomorrow calls for wiring of the gauges, the parking lights, and if I'm lucky, getting some of it wrapped up.

Wrap.

Elo-

Old April 23rd, 2017, 01:22 AM   #112
stoker100
Donating Member

the CF over the gauge cluster looks great! what are the 3 buttons for? keep up the awesome work!

Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34
Nitrous oxide. - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. Current
stoker100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 11:24 AM   #113
proboner

Thanks mang! The buttons are for calibration and some of the peak/hold functionality of the gauges.

Elo-

Old April 23rd, 2017, 05:03 PM   #114
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

What did you use for the CF? Is it an overlay or sticker type material? I am digging it as well. I may want to do one of mine that way.

-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

KLZE Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 07:24 PM   #115
proboner

It's just CF vinyl... sticks on.

Little more wire cleanup and wired up most of the gauges. Tach is working with Tacho output from the MS, fuel is running to what I assume is the fuel level sensor (it's still sitting at zero but I believe it's pretty likely that the tank is close to empty), installed the new oil pressure sending unit that came with the gauge, and now I just need to find the pigtail for the VSS to get it hooked up to the speedo.

I am having one issue, and that is with the parking lights. If I connect the parking lights for both tail lights to get signal from a single source, it causes the turn signals to both blink when I turn one or the other on. Not sure how I'm going to solve this yet.

Anyway, here's a quick video of the tach and oil pressure gauge working. As a side note, my previous car's oil pressure at idle was like 35-45 psi, and this one is showing 70psi. Anyone else have oil pressure numbers to compare to?

edit: is it the case that I literally CANNOT link to YouTube at all? this is the same issue I had last time.

here's my attempt to get around it
Code:
https://youtu.be/bq1m23eKq2c

Elo-

Last edited by proboner; April 23rd, 2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old April 24th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #116
Onyxhammer
PT Regular

Beautiful work! Can't wait to see more progress!
Onyxhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #117
proboner

Poquito mas

Elo-

Old April 24th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #118
panic37
Donating User

That setup is super clean. I must say I was a bit iffy on the layout before you put the CF vinyl on there. The idea was perfect but I'm glad you stepped away from the stainless steel/brushed aluminum look. Awesome work.
panic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #119
proboner

Yeah, I imagine most of this project is like that. Most all of it has looked iffy over the course of the project, but if it goes as planned it should all come together in the end!

It was never going to stay aluminum by the way... that's just what it was made out of. Wouldnt have made sense, with all the other accents being CF!

Elo-

Old April 30th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #120
BradsPGT
Donating Member

Awesome updates, love the dash. I've tossed a similar idea around a few times as well...
2011 Impreza Limited Hatchback - Daily, Lowered, WRX Wheels & Wing
BradsPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:06 PM   #121
proboner

We're getting close here folks!

I'm really regretting not keeping the crossed off items on my to do list in Evernote. I have spent so much time working on this that it all starts to just blend together!

As is often the case, much of the recent work has been clean up, organization, routing, running of new circuits and relays, figuring out issues, researching etc. So much work, so little to "show" for it.

Spent a good amount of time on the alarm. The model I bought has a couple features that I was particularly interested in and that I finally got all up and running. Specifically, an arm/disarm proximity sensor and a start button tied in to the system. When I ordered it I actually thought the functionality was a little different, but I've since gotten it to all work to my intended result.

Took a couple days trying to get the wiring of the door locks tied together with the stock lock relay... mainly set back by the horrendous instructions/wiring diagram that I've noted before. Then I had to wrestle with running a proximity sensor for the automatic lock/unlock functionality, into the drivers door. Unfortunately this is a super boring picture, but without pictures, this doesn't belong in the picture post!

But I had an issue to get around...
Things were all well and good when the battery wasn't isolated, but with the isolator in the "off" position, how would I unlock the doors? The answer, a small hidden momentary button that, when pressed, flows power to the alarm long enough to unlock the doors.

With the door locks/relay all situated, I went ahead and wrapped that sucker up!

While I was in the mood, I cut to length, organized orientation/compatibility with Molex connectors, and wrapped the Quadspark input/output wiring (you can reference the picture above to see what it looked like before).

Then moved on to taking apart the DB37 MS3 and MS3X connectors and removed all the unused wiring, cut everything down to length in preparation to be wrapped, and organized/routed the MS based harness. I've got about another hour to get that situated, at which point I'm going to throw the dash back in temporarily to actually drive the car and make sure all the gauges and relays are working correctly.

Also put the drivers door panel on

and tied down the wiring in the rear of the car, which has no picture because all there really is, is wiring that's no longer hanging and sloppy!

Elo-

Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:08 AM   #122
GTcruiser33
Juiced Member

Love seeing your updates, I've been without a probe for oh, at least 10 years, but I keep coming back for threads like this!

1993 PGT sold
1993 PGT died
GTcruiser33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #123
proboner

So she went on her maiden voyage today! Drove 3 whole blocks and turned around and came back. Tune leaves a lot to be desired so far... especially with this 75mm TB.

Started getting her situated a few days ago. Took everything out and prepped the floor for paint

Then painted that bitch

Threw the dash and seats back in

Took her out for a drive and gave her the first bath she's had in years

Elo-

Old May 14th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #124
proboner

Went about installing the hoodpins on the CF hood today

Elo-