Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove the factory stereo in a 1st Gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove the factory stereo in a 1st Gen?

Im really stupid and I cant get my stock AM/FM Stereo out of my car. I can remove the shift cover and the ash tray trim piece, and the two screws below the stereo, but after that I can't do anything. I have browsed the form from top to bottom and this is as much as people say. The holes in the side of the deck do nothing when i stick a coathanger piece in them. Im really confuused right now. If someone could elaborate a little more that would be great. I want to make sure I know how to remove the stock stereo before i buy a new stereo online.

jam the coathanger in there really far, mine took alot to set it free.

Comment

SOMEBODY GIVE ME A LITTLE MORE INFORMATION. AM I DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT AND IT IS JUST A MATTER OF JAMMING THE COATHANGER IN FARTHER OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING.

Comment

You have all the trim pieces off,that is a good start, once everything is off there are two holes on the side that clips inot the radio. A coathanger or a slim piece of medal is used to seperate teh clip form teh sides of the car. If those don't move then you have two choices.

A. Break that thing to piece, you'll never need it again.

B. Take a small screwdriver and pry the sides out enough to rip out the whole thing.

that how i got mine out cuase no one ever told me about the damn security clips.

Just becareful and not to damaage your trim.

Goood Luck man
        1991 Probe LX - Dead, Murderd, Its.. Just Gone
        1994 Probe GT
        Home Depot CAI - (2) Rockford Fosgate 800.2 - (2) Soundstreme Mules - Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Cap
        (Wasn't Stock For Long)

Comment

I must be incredibly stupid or something. I was completly dense to the fact that you leave the coat hanger in the holes and then remove the stereo, coat hangers and all. I was inserting the coathanger, then removing it and trying to pull out the stereo. Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

No problem

1991 Probe LX - Dead, Murderd, Its.. Just Gone
            1994 Probe GT
            Home Depot CAI - (2) Rockford Fosgate 800.2 - (2) Soundstreme Mules - Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Cap
            (Wasn't Stock For Long)

Comment

Working...
            X