Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install your own KL-ZE ....................

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing Travis.... aka Probe GT God.
    The thing is, it’s a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the lever… ‘Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power sta– I’m a gearbox! Oh, heavens, I’m gonna swap some cogs around!’

Jeremy Clarkson on Automatics

Comment

Greg, Noted
      ......and all you “pro’s” can see if I missed anything
      ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
      ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
      ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

Totally phenominal write-up!

Regarding the power steering pump - I have found that I like to just disconnect the large P/S hose where it connects by the pass side strut. That way spillage is at a minimum and you can leave the big ass hose hanging over the motor while you pull it. To me, it seemed to be the fastest. Also, that way I don't have to worry about taking off the p/s pump pulley and tensioners. The P/S stuff is the part that I won't do during installs though because it makes me so angry....

Leaving the axles in the car saved me a lot of time too (I got this tip from you from another thread) so I highly suggest it as well.

My other suggestion to anyone doing this is to make sure the car you're pulling the motor from is running well (assuming it runs) so that you don't have to troubleshoot bad sensors, etc. when you put the new motor in, especially if you're going to re-use the majority of electric stuff. On the same note, I wouldn't suggest changing timing belts and mani gaskets, etc if it's your first time. I know it seems dumb not to change the timing belt while it's out, but I personally don't like to mess with possible timing issues if not needed. Not to mention, timing belts are actually pretty easy to change.

Mike
        Last edited by mvaughn1; March 5, 2006, 05:22 PM.
        96 PGT - 14.639 @ 91.54 mph N/A 2.025 60' - 2605 lbs
        CS Lip ll Megasquirt ll ZE-IM ll Hotshot Headers ll PRM CAI ll Illuminas/Intrax ll 6 puck/MX3 FW ll RR Shifter ll 19" Giovanna Kobell Black Roof ll Black Leather
        93 PGT-ZE - 14.433 @ 96.06mph N/A 2.159 60' - street tires - 2555lbs
        ZEX ll Seli Cams ll Walbro ll Fidanza/DXD ll Addco ll PS Headers ll 65mm TB ll PRM CAI ll Blues and GC's ll MX6 Black Leather

Comment

Grrrr.... Why did you have to write this Travis? Now when I get to the point down the road when Im ready for the ZE swap, I will be tempted to do this myself and end up digging myself a giant hole of pain and anguish.

But seriously, excellent write up! We are all very grateful for you to take so much time to put all of this into writing.
          -Jordan (the guy with the most generic handle on PT)

Comment

wow, really really good write up. Now i wanna do this haha

Comment

95-ze SOLDhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105083/1
              95 pgt with mods....sold- 4th probe gone and hopefully the last
              Acura 3.0 CL Premium....sold
              New ride: 05 Jetta 5spd.....

Comment

Yeah, I think I'l be shelling out to have this professionally done. Meaning you.
                1994 Performance White GT 5 speed - Rest in peace.[/B] My first car, totaled 10/11/09
                1996 Black Probe GT - 100k & Factory Spec.
                TW's Tilted Kilt 1997 Probe GTS - Hand built KLZE, Port & Polish, CAI, Eibachs, STS, Catless. Rides like your mistress, shrieks like your wife.

Comment

God !@#$ internet....
                  Last edited by Lithium543; March 7, 2006, 09:11 PM.
                  1994 Performance White GT 5 speed - Rest in peace.[/B] My first car, totaled 10/11/09
                  1996 Black Probe GT - 100k & Factory Spec.
                  TW's Tilted Kilt 1997 Probe GTS - Hand built KLZE, Port & Polish, CAI, Eibachs, STS, Catless. Rides like your mistress, shrieks like your wife.

Comment

awesome writeup man. i'd consider doing the swap myself with your writeup if my car hadn't been through 13 brutally cold winters. it took me like 10 hours over two days to install my Pacesetters, i couldn't imagine removing all of that shit myself on my car
                    Craig R. '93 PGT Chromeintakes CAI, MX3 flywheel, Luk clutch, JJ TP, Borla cat-back, Civic STS, Hotshot-style headers, AWR Motor Mounts, KLZE IM, Tokico Illumina Struts/springs, Probinator EPROM, 65mm TB, Hawk HPS pads, AWR endlinks, AWR rear swaybar, AWR trailing arms, traction bars
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Craigerzgt

Comment

wow, great writeup travis Theres no way i could remember all of that if i wanted to do a writeup

I always just put the car in the air, and go to town

-Ty

Comment

Originally posted by TravisWilliams_GT
                        Also make sure your neighbors will not take offense to you turning their community into their own little slice of Alabama.
                        Um, yeah, thanks Travis.
                        Seriously, I've run afoul of the law for having a partially disassembled PGT in a boat shed in my back yard. Neighbors turned me in for having an "abandoned" car.
                        That car runs nicely now.

I'll never swap a motor in a shed with a dirt floor again.

Nice write-up!

Barry
                        Registered Probetalk Member #392.
                        Co-founder of ALPOC. Formerly had '93 Rio Red GT, PRD STS-99, Bosch H4 lamps, Borla, Pilot 1055-c driving lamps. IT'S CRUNCHY!
                        '93 Teal PGT. '94 black PSE. '91 PLX, 300k+ miles.

Comment

I'll assume that eveything is correct. I'm not gonna read all of that. Got alot of time on your hands?
                          Chris Rose

Comment

No, I've been working on that in my spare time in MS

About 3 weeks more or less.

Was in 61 silchester?
                            Last edited by TravisWilliams_GT; March 8, 2006, 06:46 PM.
                            ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                            ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                            ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

1st I thought you would lose business from this.... but now you have to fix other peoples problems because you got them into thinking they could do it lol

Excellant write up, you did it again
                              1996 Ford Probe GT
                              KLZE, ebay CAI, SS header, TW Testpipe, XTD stage 3 clutch, Zip Tied VRIS, Cat-Back, MX3 Flywheel, Poly filled mounts, ill think of more later

Comment

60% of what I do is fix other people's "repairs."

But anyone on herethat has a car that I've worked on can tell you that as I work, I "educate" so that they know what to look for and do the next time around.

Comment

Working...
                                X