Racing Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Radiator

I wanna buy a good radiator. Which brand is the best and why? Koyo, be cool...Howe?? I want something 3" thick
    Any idea? I am planning to take my baby to the dyno and that's why i wanna have something which will cool enough to prevent overheating, which might prevent head gasket fail

a nice aluminum one from summit racing would probably do the trick

hows the vulcan comming? any progress?
    1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
    1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
    2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
    2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
    2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Shouldn't overheat with a regular radiator, must be something wrong with it.

Modine All metal oem replacements work great.
      Need a chip or parts for your 1st gen GT go here----->Fordprobeparts.com

Floridafordprobeowners.club

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedMan View Post
        Shouldn't overheat with a regular radiator, must be something wrong with it.

Modine All metal oem replacements work great.
        It is not overheating, but when the engine under the load, the temperature is going up very fast and it is only under 7-8 psi of boost. I am planning to go until 20+ psi and i am sure my radiator will not cool enough the engine

Originally posted by plx92 View Post
        a nice aluminum one from summit racing would probably do the trick

hows the vulcan comming? any progress?
        well.. waiting a dyno tune. She is ready
        Last edited by supercharged3.0; October 17, 2009, 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Maybe your water pump is not working correctly, or you have a clogged radiator presently and or you just need a lower thermostat

Comment

Put a balanced thermostat in that Vulcan, Mr gasket makes 160* 180* 195* It will prevent the water pressure from forcing the thermostat closed and that will result in a temp spike until the rpms/water pressure get's low enough to let it open again. Stock replacement thermos can vary 15* in their actual opening temps, A balanced is within 2*!

Comment

Probably just a clogged radiator
              Last edited by BoostedMan; October 18, 2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Anyway, i need a better radiator. I will change the thermostat and radiator

Comment

i am running a h22 turbo in my accord 14 psi with 35r with STOCK OEM honda civic radiator i think stock will be fine but u can find the aluminum ones on ebay
                  Leo
                  94 PGTze - sold vid 1 vid 3 vid 2
                  98 Pontiac firebird formula WS6 the race car.
                  95 PGT-T..AKA..The ReD GhoSt KLDE turbo Built by me ..sold

Comment

please never compare anything honda to a mazda again......
                    PaTricK
                    ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

The only aftermarket radiator that is a direct drop in for our motors that I have ever seen is one that I had custom made to my specs about 5 years ago. We used stock endtanks and had a custom core fitted to them. It worked great, but my project changed so I ended up selling it. A PT member bought it and to my knowledge has been happy with it since.

Other than that, you can sure fit any old radiator, it just won't be a direct drop-in.
                      Jesus is the remedy
                      Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
                      Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
                      Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

hey man, I have an all metal radiator for your LX. It's brand new and I'll include the fan with it.
                        89 Probe GT "Ruby"
                        06 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

Is your blower intercooled? Maybe the blower is causing your motor to run hot while under boost?

I would think that the stock radiator should be able to cool even a boosted Vulcan. I would also try cleaning out the motor with some sort of flush, maybe you have a clog somewhere. Once I cleaned out a heater core that was clogged and messing with the flow and it helped a ton.

Good luck with your motor, Do you have pictures of your setup?

ALSO!

You live in LA, It's HOT there 99% of the time, is it not?
                          Last edited by diamondragon16; November 4, 2009, 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i can see him needing a bigger radiator. hes supercharged, and turbo. both create massive amounts of heat.

from looking around, i saw at least a dozen aftermarket aluminum ones that would work on our car. hit up summit and look at the ones there. i saw one for under 200 that would fit in our engine bay, and the inlet/outlet were in our factory locations. hardest part would be fabbing mounts. but even thats not too bad.
                            PaTricK
                            ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

i have one of those summit racing summit aluminum radiators is their smallest one for a chevy hotrod

the main, HUGE problem is running the hoses since the bottom outlet is angled upwards and pointing towards the oil filter, from what i remember when looking at your car that thing has that huge downpipe and that is going to create a problem with that hose, in my case i had to cut the neck from the radiator bottom outlet to force a very tight radius hose in there and still leaks a bit and have to keep checking it to make sure it does not leak a lot or can come off.

the other problem is that the radiator is way too thick and it will not mount properly so you have to have angled a little bit since the crossmember is on the way.

i have had it for years and it works but its all custom, and if you dont have enough fans to move the air it will overheat, that is why im running 3 fans all the time to make sure it does not blow up.
                              1991 3.0 LX fully built, aftermarket everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X