X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pittsburgh trip mishap

see this thread for details.
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701128712

took it to the mechanic down the road for an inspection to see what was messed up.

well, turns out the Power Stearing fluid is the smoking factor. the power stearing pump has been bad for a while they said, and both powerstearing lines are leaking.

the CV boot where it connects to the tranny is torn to pieces, due to the deer.

i was almost empty on powerstearing fluid, added more and it smoked like crazy on the 3 min trip home.

now, will no power stearing fluid **** up my car if i drive it home?
    H&R Springs * Tokico Blues * 2.5L KLDE Swap * ZE Pistons * Colt Cams * Custom Cold Air Intake * Hot Shot Headers * Custom 2.5" Magnaflow Exhaust
    6 6 8 8 8 4 6 9 9 3

I can't remember how the 2nd gens are, been a while since I had mine....what belt runs the PS? IF it is only connected to ps and a/c, I would just take the belt off and drive it wout the PS. If it's onthe alternator too, then you won't be able to do that..

With the belt on, I would worry about the pump seizing up due to lack of fluid...

Check and see what belts run what...
    Member # 258
    '93PGT - SOLD(twice) '92PGT - parted, '90 MX-6 GT - SOLD
    '18 Ford Super Duty SuperCrew 4x4

Comment

Running the power steering system out of fluid will damage the pump. It may cause it to seize, with would probably break the belt, and that same belt runs the water pump. So it is likely that it would leave you stranded. It shouldn't damage the rack. It *might* damage the rack as well, as I believe it uses the PS fluid for its internal lubrication...

Have fun with that, and I hope you have a good bit of money in the "busted car" fund...
      Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
      06 Legacy GT
      98 Legacy GT

Comment

Working...
      X