Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get into 1st gear without going into 2nd gear first.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get into 1st gear without going into 2nd gear first.

Like the subject says...a typical scenario is when I stop at a stoplight....put it in neutral....when I clutch in to put the car back in first...in just won't go. But if I dip down into second or any lower gear just slightly....it will go right in. Its not a random thing....it happens everytime.

I should mention that I had a new clutch put in less than a month ago as well. But it was fine for the first week. What I think might have caused some damage was driving it to the mechanic to do the install. For the most part I just shifted without the clutch...but had to force it in and out of 1st once or twice. I took it back and he tried adjusting the clutch...but all that did was fix the free play. And I just put in Redline MT-90 in today and that improved the notchiness, but unfortunately didn't fix the problem.

If its the first gear synchro, I guess I'll just have to adapt to this new annoying method for a little while.
    '93 Mazda Mx-6 LS 271k kilometres/'07 RX-8 18 inch wheels/2006 Mazda6 calipers/rotors/ Tokico HP blues/Tokico red springs/'01 Mazda 626 rear sway bar and nissan altima endlinks/Bosal Bro Speed muffler
    '95 RoyalBlue PGT
    MTX 247k kilometres OR 153,500 miles (R.I.P.)
    14.961@89.8mph CAI, MX3 flywheel, stock cat,Magnaflow muffler

well, it could be the syncro, but i'd check out your shifter linkage bushings. do you have a lot of play in the shifter? if those are bad enough, it could cause that problem. if the bushings are good, then it's probably a syncro.
    '01 Silverado 1500: Wait4me tune, Gibson catback, Detroit Truetrac locker, 4:10s, K&N intake, 2" lift, 33" tires, Escalade gauge cluster, Pioneer DVD, Pilot HIDs
    '05 Honda Superhawk: 996cc v-twin, Jardine dual exhaust, Dynojet, K&N, Pilot Power 2CTs and more.
    '04 Cannondale Scalpel: noisy race bike

Comment

Mine does that too, but ever since I have been driving a standard (long before I ever drove a auto) I have always shifted to second then up to first. Kinda like when backing up, drop it in 2nd then reverse. It just helps to syncronise the gears alittle better.

After awhile of doing it, it becomes second nature.

~Aaron
      ~Aaron~
      1993 Silver PGT MTX ~~R.I.P~5/7/14

Comment

double clutching.. lost art but sometimes applied when syncros are shot =]
        -torp.
        94 Mx-3 1.8l 4 Banga of Furay

Comment

My first and rev. gear do this sometimes.

Usually letting the clutch back out and the pressing it again will do the trick. (i.e. double clutching )
          Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
          06 Legacy GT
          98 Legacy GT

Comment

Well I changed the bushings at the shifter less than 2 years back when I threw in my PRD shifter. So unless the larger shifter bushings further up can be a factor in this problem....then I guess its the synchro.

Oh well...I'm starting to adapt I guess.....but 3 point turns are a bitch when you're in a hurry!
            '93 Mazda Mx-6 LS 271k kilometres/'07 RX-8 18 inch wheels/2006 Mazda6 calipers/rotors/ Tokico HP blues/Tokico red springs/'01 Mazda 626 rear sway bar and nissan altima endlinks/Bosal Bro Speed muffler
            '95 RoyalBlue PGT

Comment

Mine does this too for reverse and 1st sometimes. What I've found is that the last 1/4 inch or so of clutch travel means everything on my car. If it doesn't go in on the first try, I push the clutch in a little more and it goes in. Seriously like 1/4 inch... Most of the time I push the clutch in enough, but once in a while my shoe gets caught or something and it doesn't go all the way. I'm also still on the original clutch with 122,000+ miles on it. I think I'll replace the clutch when I get back from vacation.

Comment

Well this problem seems to be getting worse. I've almost been rear ended like 3 times (once by a city bus) because I was stuck at a light trying to get the damn thing in 1st gear. Its to the point where sometimes I have to turn the car off and then on again...then re engage the clutch to get it in first. Then at the next light....I'll go into second and then 1st no problem! I'm at the point where I'm having little fits of road rage every time this happens...some times so bad I'm surprised the shifter hasn't broken (damn PRD quality!)

I can't figure this thing out. If say the stoplight I'm at is angled slightly downward...as I release the brake and the car starts rolling, the car will slide into 1st as it rolls foward with ease. Otherwise it won't budge.

Just to recap:

1) clutch is new OEM replacement w mx3 flywheel

2) clutch engagement in every other gear is fine, grabs hard, releases fine

3) will go into 1st if rolling forward slightly

4) will go into 1st just as I stop at a light...slides in just before I
                stop

I do remember my mechanic saying something about maybe changing the master cylinder at some point....but I didn't detect any urgency, nor did he stress that it HAD to be done. Does it sound like the master cylinder would have anything to do with this anyway?

With this problem combined with the power steering cut-out on the highway off ramps...this car is going to get my F#%$ing killed!

One of the many disgruntled Probe owners
                '95 RoyalBlue PGT

Comment

TTT!
                  '95 RoyalBlue PGT

Comment

its not a synchro if it were you wouldnt be able to do what your douing. Hard to explain but it cant be that. well good lucj finding the problem. You'll definately have to do a tear down.

Comment

Would a shot rear engine mount be enough to misalign something?

Berto

Comment

Originally posted by Berto2112
                        Would a shot rear engine mount be enough to misalign something?

Berto
                        I wonder....my car is a little bit more jumpy/jerky of the get go than my GF's pgt. I sure my motor mounts are getting pretty worn, but don't think they're shot completely. Like I mentioned before, when the car's on a decline...I can get it in gear. When the car is level, I can put it in 2nd gear then 1st and it'll go in. When the car is on an incline, I have a hell of a time with whatever method....but eventually I get it...a few honks later
                        '95 RoyalBlue PGT

Comment

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but why not just start in 2nd so you don't get stuck in an intersectin until it gets fixed.
                          Matt Martin
                          2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Comment

Originally posted by CajunCC
                            I know this doesn't solve your problem, but why not just start in 2nd so you don't get stuck in an intersectin until it gets fixed.

Yeah thats what I've started doing...its sounds kinda like I don't know how to drive to everyone else behind me...but its better than getting rear-ended.
                            '95 RoyalBlue PGT

Comment

Working...
                            X