how can I check if fuel is good/bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I check if fuel is good/bad

my 89 has been sitting a few years and I've just replaced the alternator but worried to just start it up without knowing the quality of the gas. what's the best way to check if the gas is healthy still or not? or should I just turn the key and see if she runs? thanks

Bad fuel can cause her not to run. It won't hurt to try to start her up in my opinion. How much fuel is in the tank? At parts stores they do sell stabilizer for fuel. You could always add that and then add fresh gas.

Bad gas can also clog the fuel filter. If you can not get her running try changing the fuel filter. If she starts I would look into changing the fuel filter after you run a couple tanks through her too.
    1993 Probe GT
    2003 Bagged Chevy S10

Comment

thanks, I started her up. there was a ticking sound that goes away at higher rpms and the rear turn signals dead.

Comment

Now you just need a fresh oil change, check to make sure the antifreeze is good and don't need changed. If the front turn signals are working you most likely will only need to change the bulbs in the rear.
        1993 Probe GT
        2003 Bagged Chevy S10

Comment

thanks for the tips! I had to change the whole light harness, the old one was rusted and damaged from a leak I used to have. fortunately I kept a spare laying around. it's all good now, just need to change the fluids.

Comment

Working...
          X