Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > Racing/Suspension

Racing/Suspension Drag Racing, AutoX, Road Racing and Suspension.

Old July 19th, 2015, 03:57 AM   #1
stoker100
Donating Member

looking at getting mags for track days

Im looking at getting a 2nd set of mags for the occasional track day and have a few questions (wheels have never been my forte). They need to be 17" to clear my brakes. I just wanted to confirm the best offset to go with is 35mm? i believe factory is 40mm, is there any advantage to going to 35mm?

I think 225's will be fine as i have a manual rack and still want to be able to turn the thing. I am looking at the following options because they are light and i believe would look good on the PGT.

- OZ Forgiata
- OZ Superleggera

opinions are appreciated!

Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nitrous oxide. - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stoker100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #2
yellowrob
Donating User

What kind of brakes are you running?
yellowrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Brizzy
Turbo Member

Probably Mazda speed 6 brakes.

M62 In Progress...
Brizzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 09:25 AM   #4
dillinr

17x9 +22 with 235/40/17
MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []
dillinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 09:37 AM   #5
yellowrob
Donating User

^^^ what he said.
The Mazda 6 rotors fit with the stock wheels too.

The spare can still be used in the back, but it pretty much becomes useless. Don't forget to get a full size spare.

Last edited by yellowrob; July 19th, 2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old July 20th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #6
stoker100
Donating Member

yes mazdaspeed 6 brakes. whats the benefit of going to a +22 offset, factory is +35 so wouldn't this bring the wheels in and decrease handling? The stock wheels 7" and fit 225's so whats the benefit of 9"?

As for the spare i already have a 17" steel spare (i have had these brakes for a long time now). I should also mention i have TEIN coil-overs that sit quite low, i have rolled the guards but don't want offset getting in the way.

Nitrous oxide. - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc.
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #7
yellowrob
Donating User

I don't know about the offset.

A 17 steel spare.....I'm gonna have to get me one of those.
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #8
poissonn
PT Regular

+22 offset will bring your wheels out compared to +35mm! I'd go with a 17x8 with a 225 tire or 17x9 with a 245 but it might be hard with the manual rack

Last edited by poissonn; July 20th, 2015 at 10:02 AM.
poissonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #9
dillinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoker100 View Post
yes mazdaspeed 6 brakes. whats the benefit of going to a +22 offset, factory is +35 so wouldn't this bring the wheels in and decrease handling?
Negatory. 22 offset will place the wheels further out giving you a wider track and better handling.

http://cocomponents.com/dealer/blog/...set-explained/

Quote:
The stock wheels 7" and fit 225's so whats the benefit of 9"?
If stock was good, nobody would change. A wider wheel will flatten and widen the tire reducing tire squirm, enhancing steering feel, response and overall grip.

And go for 235/40/17. Light for reduced inertia means better steering feel, response and acceleration, short for better gearing and acceleration and lower center of gravity, and many many many awesome options in that size, and they fit very nicely on a 9" wide wheel.

Quote:
I should also mention i have TEIN coil-overs that sit quite low, i have rolled the guards but don't want offset getting in the way.
So raise it up, if you've lowered it from the pre-set position it's probably too low and compromising suspension geometry and thus handling.
MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []
dillinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 03:44 AM   #10
stoker100
Donating Member

thanks for your help Ryan and everyone else, im going to start looking for options now, the wheels i like dont come in 17" so ill have to look around for a few others.

Old October 4th, 2017, 02:05 AM   #11
stoker100
Donating Member

Ok... so its been a while but im finally getting new wheels. I had a look at my current wheels (terrible), 17x7.0" wide and ET42 (2mm more inwards than stockies). The rubber on these wheels is older than most cars on the road (so ill be keeping the set for casual use) I may get some small spacers to put them back to original offset.

The new wheels I decided to go with are 17x7.5" wide with a offset of 35, this puts my wheel out 13mm further which is what i really wanted (pretty close to flush with my fenders). Its a lighter rim (8.7kg) so its better for track days and im slapping on some Hankook RS4's so i should have some grip finally. I decided not to go any wider as turning with a manual rack on semi slicks is going to be a workout and im not a big bloke.

test fitment pic

ill post an update when they are on the car in a few days time.

Old October 4th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #12
BLUEnoEQ

Nice lookin wheel.

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:01 AM   #13
stoker100
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
Nice lookin wheel.
Thanks, here is a fitted pic

Also added 1deg more of camber at the front and the car turns in really well now with the manual steering rack, just need to shorten my custom steering rack end adapters so i can get the toe-in correct.