No announcement yet.

Car will crank but wont start. car died while driving and hasn't started since

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car will crank but wont start. car died while driving and hasn't started since

1996 2.5 V6 (UK) KL Manual

I was doing 15 mph at a constant speed engine warming up but not at operating temp and the engine just cut out and died. - luckily i was not going fast so could steer it safely.

When i turn to start the car it cranks forever and will not start (even with abit of gas pedal).

The other week the car would not start for a day but that time it would not even crank (wiggling the starter wire and earth wire solved it) -this time it cranks but wont start.

What are the main / common problems that it could be that the car has?

Its got 97k on the clock - how long do fuel pumps last?
    Last edited by l20kev; March 3, 2008, 03:04 PM.

Check to make sure that the timing belt didn't break (12year old with 97k on it). If the timing belt check out OK, then check to see if you're getting a spark to the spark plugs.

Comment

my mechanic is looking at it on wednesday, but i said id see if there were any common faults etc.

The timing belt was done 1k ago and the water pump./tensioner looked good apparently.

Is there a how to for reading the Engine Management Light Fault code?

Comment

any codes?
        96 PGT. Pacesetter 2.5" Catback, Test Pipe, ChromeIntakes CAI, Clear Corners, Pilot Fogs, 3rd brake light GT symbol, sts, squeaky clutch mod,
        2004 Suzuki GS500F. Polished Rims, broken fairings mod.

Comment

hey bro if you looking to read check engine codes here's the site i use. Hope it helps:

http://www.scpoc.com/MaintMod/codes.htm
          07 Mazda3 bone stock daily
          87 Foxbody 5.0 - 217whp/272tq 12.4:1afr!
          94 MX-6: SOLD!
          93 PGT- ZE, headers, exhaust, CAI, Capsule Racing intake manifold (VRIS delete), Mx3 fw, Act 6-puck, AEM af guage (SOLD)

Comment

did you run out of gas? just wondering or maybe the fuel pump went out
            My '97 GTS in its prime
            New GTS Stripped and gutted rebuild from ground up.
            2000 Explorer XLS 2 inch lift 32 inch BFG's My Wifes Daily

Comment

Originally posted by l20kev View Post
              1996 2.5 V6 (UK) KL Manual

I was doing 15 mph at a constant speed engine warming up but not at operating temp and the engine just cut out and died. - luckily i was not going fast so could steer it safely.

When i turn to start the car it cranks forever and will not start (even with abit of gas pedal).

The other week the car would not start for a day but that time it would not even crank (wiggling the starter wire and earth wire solved it) -this time it cranks but wont start.

What are the main / common problems that it could be that the car has?

Its got 97k on the clock - how long do fuel pumps last?
              its your ignition coil

Originally posted by l20kev View Post
              my mechanic is looking at it on wednesday, but i said id see if there were any common faults etc.

The timing belt was done 1k ago and the water pump./tensioner looked good apparently.

Is there a how to for reading the Engine Management Light Fault code?
              well I am guessing your mechanic forgot to tell you about the coil so I can almost guarantee that it is your ignition coil

maybe fuel pump but when you turn it to cut it on do you here the fuel pump? you can hear it before you try to crank it if you listen.
              Last edited by man/plansPGT; March 3, 2008, 09:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              1995 PGT-T
              EBAY Turbo = 8 psi
              BUILT-BLOWN-
              Be back SOON!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by man/plansPGT View Post
                its your ignition coil

maybe fuel pump but when you turn it to cut it on do you here the fuel pump? you can hear it before you try to crank it if you listen.
                yep when its turned to ign i hear a click from under the hood.

Im guessing that my mechanic is going to say its the distributor as it looks common on these.

is the ignition coil and distributor the same thing?

mine is a 1996 with CEL so i can read ant codes unless its plugged in?

UPDATE.

Mechanic has found spark but no fuel.

He's going to be looking at the fuel issue tomorrow.

Please can someone list what it could be that he needs to check? i.e. fuse? any relay? immobilisor key? cut off switch? pump?
                Last edited by l20kev; March 5, 2008, 01:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Would a dirty VAF connection could it to not start as i did fit an induction kit the other month? or would it start and then die?

Comment

with the vaf unplugged the car would start but wouldn't want to run very well.

Fuel pump has an inertia switch in the boot - left side behind the wheel well under the carpet.

There is a fuel pump power test in the diagnostic box at the battery.
                    '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
                    '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
                    '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

If mine doesn't have the CEL light etc would mine still have thepump power test?

from what ive been told it looks like the pump relay isn't getting its signal to turn on.

Is it the job of the ECU to tell it to turn on or something else? could the ECU be dead or would there be other symtoms like no spark as well?

If the immobiliser is faulty would it be installed inbetween the ECU & relay or inbetween the relay & pump?

Comment

Working...
                      X