Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > General > Probe Lounge

Probe Lounge Discussion about most everything Non Probe related goes here.

Closed Thread

Reason thread was closed:
See last post. Politics are banned. What more do you need to know?
Thread Closed By: phreakintheroom
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #1
phreakintheroom
PT Master

REMINDER: Politics, religion and other hot-button topics are banned

Apparently some of you are forgetting that there is an INDEFINITE MORATORIUM ("ban" for those of you who can barely make a coherent sentence) ON POLITICAL THREADS AND SIGNATURES.

I'm getting tired of having to play house in the lounge with this stuff. From here on out (or until the moratorium is lifted) all politics-oriented threads will be closed with no warning. All signatures will have 24 hours to be changed before the staff does it for you.

Furthermore, I suggest EVERYONE read the FAQ:

**EDIT** A couple specifics from the FAQ I want to remind you all of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT FAQ
Illegal Content - You may not post any content that is illegal including, but not limited to, copyright material, serial numbers, links to sites hosting pirated or illegal material, or other proprietary information without obtaining the prior written consent of the owner of such proprietary rights. Exceptions to this standard are covered by the US Federal law regarding fair use, 17 USCS 107, and related case law, which holds that only partial excerpts of copyrighted material may be reproduced, and only as necessary for criticism or comment.
Quote:
Personal Attacks - They will not be tolerated anywhere on the board. Topics and/or posts containing personal attacks will be closed, edited or deleted. If any member continues to disrupt the message board this way, appropriate actions will be taken.
Quote:
Closed topics - If one of your topics is closed or deleted, please do not start another thread dedicated to why was your post locked, or even another new post regarding the same subject matter or to garner 'support'. If you have a problem with your post being closed, please contact a member of the Administration with a private message describing the problem.
Quote:
No Crude Posts - Even if you find these types of posts funny, they are offensive to many people. Please do not post about bodily functions, sexual experiences or personal problems. If you have a network of friends here, please feel free to use the Private Messaging system for that kind of material. It should not be posted publicly.
If you require translation of the FAQ or this thread, I can translate to the following languages:

Spanish
German
Portuguese
Italian
Dutch (sort of)
Russian (VERY poorly)
French (sort of)
Leetspeak
Cockney
That ghetto shorthand I hate

Any questions? If so, ASK THEM HERE AND I WILL ANSWER THEM.

Thank you.

-phreak
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by phreakintheroom; July 19th, 2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Scummer
1-800-U-SQUIRT

I'm using you for an example, Scummer. If it's not a question, or something even remotely useful, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD. All non-related posts will be deleted. -phreak

Last edited by phreakintheroom; July 19th, 2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #3
Probesport
20 years of Probin'

I would also like to add political comments in an otherwise acceptable thread is also not allowed. It has happened so many times that a thread can go from "going to teh zoo this weekend" to "George Bush is ... " and/or "the war in (insert 3rd world country here) is ...." for no good reason other than to be arguementative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
| 2005 VW Touareg V8
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #4
phreakintheroom
PT Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probesport
I would also like to add political comments in an otherwise acceptable thread is also not allowed. It has happened so many times that a thread can go from "going to teh zoo this weekend" to "George Bush is ... " and/or "the war in (insert 3rd world country here) is ...." for no good reason other than to be arguementative.
100% right.

Also, Ken (Probesport) is just as high if not HIGHER up the "PT Food Chain" as I, so don't question me about his actions. He holds just as much authority in the lounge as I do. If you have an issue with something we've done that we have not resolved with you personally, please contact Damon (dmark101).

-phreak
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #5
dmark101
Obfuscatory & Abstruse Nomenclature

Old July 19th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #6
blackpgt1994
North North American Mod

just so were (as in me, and other people) are clear on this:
a ban on all politics would also include things such as "support our troops" etc etc, correct?

93 Black probe (K-sporting)

Old July 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #7
phreakintheroom
PT Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpgt1994
just so were (as in me, and other people) are clear on this:
a ban on all politics would also include things such as "support our troops" etc etc, correct?
I see no problem with having something along the lines of "support our troops" in a signature. Things like "Eff ewe, Osama, we gonna kill ya'alls" and "BusH is a d3lud3d m0ron!!11!1one!1!!" are not going to fly.

Yes, I understand that there's a lot of "grey area" here. My advice is this: If you're not sure, PM me and ask. I'm more than happy to clarify any of the forum rules for anyone.

-phreak
Old July 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #8
blackpgt1994
North North American Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakintheroom
I see no problem with having something along the lines of "support our troops" in a signature. Things like "Eff ewe, Osama, we gonna kill ya'alls" and "BusH is a d3lud3d m0ron!!11!1one!1!!" are not going to fly.

Yes, I understand that there's a lot of "grey area" here. My advice is this: If you're not sure, PM me and ask. I'm more than happy to clarify any of the forum rules for anyone.

-phreak
What about something along the lines in an opposite view, such as "I do not support your troops", would such a statement be an equally acceptable?
I know there is this grey area to political statements, which is why wanting some clarity to this. So please, I mean no offence you, Dmark, or any of the other administration here, when I ask is this a 1 way street ban on politics?
As you said, a “Support our troops” would be acceptable in a sig, as you know, many people disagree with what that implies. However would “I do not support your troops” be considered un acceptable? I do believe you know where im going with this correct?

Believe me when I say the extent of my political agenda on PT consists of “vote for Anomaly for PT’s prom queen!!1one!”, so I would be happy to see politics leave PT forever. What I fear is happening tho, is that a one way ban is coming into effect where suddenly no one will be able to disagree with all the …. Well dis-agreeable things that get posted (such as pro-war, pro-troops in country X, pro-Bush, down with hippy threads, etc etc etc)
So to sum up my question, are these grey “issue” going to be banned as well?

Thank you for your time

Old July 19th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #9
Andrew
Turbo Member

My only question is why? Why can't we have political threads if there are no personal attacks? If this phreak guy was willing to take on the for sale forum problems, he should be able to removing the personal attack posts and keep the threads reasonable. They don't have to be, some of the best threads in PT to read are the ones that closed, like the recent Cobalt SS one. Why probesport why? That was great!

These threads are just fun, it just a message board. Obviously most people aren't going to change their minds on something is deep rooted as political beliefs, it's just a laugh reading about how some people (no names )justify them
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #10
PGT1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
My only question is why? Why can't we have political threads if there are no personal attacks? If this phreak guy was willing to take on the for sale forum problems, he should be able to removing the personal attack posts and keep the threads reasonable. They don't have to be, some of the best threads in PT to read are the ones that closed, like the recent Cobalt SS one. Why probesport why? That was great!

These threads are just fun, it just a message board. Obviously most people aren't going to change their minds on something is deep rooted as political beliefs, it's just a laugh reading about how some people (no names )justify them
Probably b/c those threads always lead to flame wars. Always the same i'd say 3 or 4 ppl argueing with eachother, and trying to build their e-ego's up. I don't really agree with the political threads being banned, b/c i think they're intresting and can be fun, and a good read. But if them being banned is going to mean we all don't have to hear stupid opinions from the usual suspects then i'm happy they're not allowed.

Last edited by PGT1993; July 19th, 2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #11
phreakintheroom
PT Master

Quote:
What about something along the lines in an opposite view, such as "I do not support your troops", would such a statement be an equally acceptable?
I know there is this grey area to political statements, which is why wanting some clarity to this. So please, I mean no offence you, Dmark, or any of the other administration here, when I ask is this a 1 way street ban on politics?
As you said, a “Support our troops” would be acceptable in a sig, as you know, many people disagree with what that implies. However would “I do not support your troops” be considered un acceptable? I do believe you know where im going with this correct?

Believe me when I say the extent of my political agenda on PT consists of “vote for Anomaly for PT’s prom queen!!1one!”, so I would be happy to see politics leave PT forever. What I fear is happening tho, is that a one way ban is coming into effect where suddenly no one will be able to disagree with all the …. Well dis-agreeable things that get posted (such as pro-war, pro-troops in country X, pro-Bush, down with hippy threads, etc etc etc)
So to sum up my question, are these grey “issue” going to be banned as well?

Thank you for your time
Here's my viewpoint:

Saying one "supports the troops" does not necessarily reflect a political standpoint, it just means that you support the individuals. Saying you don't support the troops is usually construed as you not supporting the reason they're there, not wishing ill on the individuals. Personally, I support the troops but don't support the reason they're there. Make sense? I guess what I'm saying is that showing support is not a bad thing. Saying you don't support them is a bad thing. It's an issue of negativity.

I'm not about to suggest that we ban people from saying they support the troops, as many members on PT ARE troops and I can only imagine the fuss over it. Really, what kind of sadist does it take to NOT support the troops?

I think this is something that may require more discussion...let me know your opinions on it. I'd like for this to be as democratic as possible.

-phreak
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #12
c-man
Mega Moderator

Quote:
Here's my viewpoint:

I'd like to be a democrat.

-phreak
Aha! I think "support our troops" implies the reasoning behind their deployment just as much as a "don't support the troops comments."

I guess a more neutral comment in opposition to the reasoning for deployment, yet still supporting the actual troops as fellow americans would be:

"bring our troops home safely" or "god bless our troops" (sorry atheists)

Last edited by c-man; March 28th, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #13
phreakintheroom
PT Master

"Support are troops", eh? What an interesting ideological metaphor.

I think your take on it is acceptable. Let's not bring religion into this as well, though.

-phreak
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #14
blackpgt1994
North North American Mod

Quote:
Here's my viewpoint:

Saying one "supports the troops" does not necessarily reflect a political standpoint, it just means that you support the individuals. Saying you don't support the troops is usually construed as you not supporting the reason they're there, not wishing ill on the individuals. Personally, I support the troops but don't support the reason they're there. Make sense? I guess what I'm saying is that showing support is not a bad thing. Saying you don't support them is a bad thing. It's an issue of negativity.

I'm not about to suggest that we ban people from saying they support the troops, as many members on PT ARE troops and I can only imagine the fuss over it. Really, what kind of sadist does it take to NOT support the troops?

I think this is something that may require more discussion...let me know your opinions on it. I'd like for this to be as democratic as possible.

-phreak
As you said, your not about to ban someone for supporting the troops, but if one does not support the troops do they get banned? (er... actually with the way that reads, im not sejesting your going to ban non-supporters, but those who do not agree with support would get banned for expressing such a view point)
This is what i hoping not to see here on PT, where a poltical ban comes into a effect, but only "certian view points" are the ones getting censord.

a more neutral tone such as c-man sujested such as "I support human beings in general" would be much better then a suto-plotical slogan, but would probably seem to bland for some. As saying "support the troops" is almost, if not the same as saying i support the conflict.

Last edited by blackpgt1994; July 20th, 2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #15
anomaly
Official Pr0n Approver!

I support Kyle for Prom Queen's Little Bitch!

~
=
&
~

"Let me hear you make decisions without your television."

Enjoy PT?
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #16
phreakintheroom
PT Master

Quote:
As you said, your not about to ban someone for supporting the troops, but if one does not support the troops do they get banned? (er... actually with the way that reads, im not sejesting your going to ban non-supporters, but those who do not agree with support would get banned for expressing such a view point)
This is what i hoping not to see here on PT, where a poltical ban comes into a effect, but only "certian view points" are the ones getting censord.

a more neutral tone such as c-man sujested such as "I support human beings in general" would be much better then a suto-plotical slogan, but would probably seem to bland for some. As saying "support the troops" is almost, if not the same as saying i support the conflict.
Trust me, I will NEVER support one-sided censorship. EVER.

I think I came off wrong. What I meant is that what defines something of this nature as "inappropriate" is when someone can be offended by it. I doubt many will be offended by someone saying they "support the troops", but many would be offended by someone pointedly saying they could care less if they die.

-phreak
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #17
phreakintheroom
PT Master

OK, I'm getting tons of PMs and such from people asking "well what about this" etc. There's no way to plan for every contingency. Just know that politics are BANNED from PT, so don't post anything regarding that topic or it will be removed. Repeat offenders will see the hole. Period.

Any further questions? No? Good.

Any disagreements on how the rules are carried out should be PMed to myself or Ken.

-phreak
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM   #18
pgtfreak
Born a poor black child

Religious threads are also against the rules, as they get a bit too heated with this group. It's sad, anything that is a hot button topic is not to be talked about in the public forums.

there's always the no-holds barred 5-star forum though

Last edited by pgtfreak; May 9th, 2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #19
pgtfreak
Born a poor black child

Just a reminder. These topics are still banned in the public forums.