Need help!!! S.o.s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help!!! S.o.s.

Okay I took on the challenge of trying to replace the clutch, flywheel and throw out bearing. I managed to take the trans off and replace all mentioned above. BUT for the life of me I cannot get the trans to mate with the block.

This is a cry out for some hands that will be able to give me a helping hand and get a little dirty.

Please I need HELP to get this done by Sunday.
    1994 Coral Mist Metallic PGT
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701308460

Okay, I finally managed to put the trans on but there is about 1/2 an inch from the trans to the engine block. The input shaft is in and everything seems to line up even got all the bolts threaded in.

My question is can I force all the bolts evenly until they both mate without damaging anything? Again, everything is lined up but I cannot push the trans to the engine block anymore.
    Oh and it was a mission to take the trans off, I would not slip off. So I'm guessing that it would be difficult to put back on as well.
    So can I force all the bolts evenly until they both mate without damaging anything?

Comment

No do not force it. It has to be mated.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Wiggle it some more.
      Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowrob View Post
        No do not force it. It has to be mated.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Wiggle it some more.
        I've been wiggling for the past 20min and nothing.

Comment

Lol. I'm sorry I can't help much more, I haven't done it my self yet either but I have help Xrp861 swap stuff and stuff but I just know you can't force it. Try the alignment tool again, .... I dunno.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

I do remember we were man handling the beast.
          Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric351M View Post
            I've been wiggling for the past 20min and nothing.
            Tilt your head to the right and not the left. Also -it wouldn't hurt to close your right eye.

It is likely that your clutch plate is not aligned perfectly centered. If so -the input shaft might go through the splines in the clutch disc -but the pilot snub won't line up with the pilot bearing. And if you have forced it a bit too much -your pilot bearing might have been pushed back some in the flywheel. It might be a good idea to check it to see if it is still centered in the flywheel and not too far towards the crank.

I never use those plastic alignment tools because they are very sloppy and don't necessarily line things up perfect. I use a tool that I made that gets a much more accurate alignment. I took a socket that fit into the pilot bearing and found a socket that it slips into and used some epoxy to glue it into the larger socket. And the larger socket wasn't quite the diameter of the ID of the spines and so I tightly wrapped it with aluminum tape until it was the same diameter with a very slight slip fit. So it slips in very snugly and doesn't have much of any play. I get a perfect alignment every time.
            Last edited by KLZE Porsche; October 11, 2013, 08:36 PM.
            Success is a measure of determination!
            Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
            $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
            Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
            Restoration of a legend

Comment

eric,

first thing, remove the bolts. second, find another body to help with this [mr man should be able to help with this, if necessary].

next, if the splines aren't lining up correctly, get a socket and wrench, then very slowly turn the bolt that is on the crank pulley clockwise.

at the same time, apply a little bit of pressure to the transaxle housing.

by turning the crank, you will be able to get the splines to line up right and the input shaft will slide right in. remember to go slowly. i've had this happen a couple of times when either replacing my own clutch [or release bearing] or helping a friend with theirs.

i agree with michael [klze porsche], those plastic alignment tools aren't always reliable.
              ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

it's always hard to get those suckers mated back together. 20min is not long enough. My preffered tool is a input shaft from inside one of my bad trannies but you wouldn't have something like that. just need more power!
                1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

This happened to me about a month ago. It turned out to be that pos alignment tool didn't center the clutch disc so like KLZEporsche said the input shaft wasn't lined up properly. As soon as removed the pressure plate realigned the clutch disc and reinstalled the pressure plate the trans slid right on.
                  97 pgt, manual swap, jdm lsd trans, cm stage 2 clutch, mx3 flywheel, cai

2001 626

Comment

Okay, from the other day that I got the trans on I have not been able to take it off to re align the clutch.
                    mr man will be helping me today so I hope we can get it to come off and see if I didn't mess up any of the parts and get it re installed.

Comment

sometimes it's good to center the clutch by checking the clearance on the outside of the disc as compared to the flywheel.
                      1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                      1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                      2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                      2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                      1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

this situation is a little worse than what many of you may think. The transmission will not slide off the clutch/engine. We have used crowbars and other things wedged between the block and the trans to pry them apart and they will not separate. It is my opinion that clutch disc is stuck on the trans and now it will not come apart without a lot of force by prying. Think 2 of those tiny, thin, 2 hole lego pieces kind of stuck when you stick to of them together.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2183/...91be0261d5.jpg
                        it is better to be a smart fella than a fart smella

Comment

ugh. i get the feeling the input shaft isn't sitting completely in the slots on the end of the crankshaft.

can you guys even see the input shaft? maybe spraying pretty liberally with some pb blaster might help.

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

can't see shizz at all. Right now if a crow bar is used it will engage the clutch then pull it back into place once the pressure is removed. I don't think the shaft lined up properly with the splines and they were forced over each other. I think there has been a little movement but it is going to take far more force to get it off. I may go over again tonight once eric is back home and see if we can make some more headway. I need to take over another crowbar and something to wedge in there as well.

I think I mentioned that the problem was likely caused when the bolts were tightened down before ensuring that the splines matched up first
                            it is better to be a smart fella than a fart smella

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Man View Post
                              I think I mentioned that the problem was likely caused when the bolts were tightened down before ensuring that the splines matched up first
                              yeah, that's what i was thinking too.

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Working...
                              X