Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old June 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #1
slinkyPgT

Egr delete

i know wats a egr is and does....(as im a auto tech by trade)

i just wanna know who has done the egr delete on a stock de engine....all ze's are excluded from this thread sorry

i have already made my block off plate...

of the people that have done the delete?

do any of you have spark knock? from the extra carbon in the #5 cylinder and the added cylinder temp

and is there any ecu chip i could do to get rid of the egr codes? im not sure that the probinator chpip is right for me as i dont have a ze

Last edited by slinkyPgT; June 13th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
slinkyPgT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #2
1fastsilverGT
PT Regular

ive had my EGR blocked off for like 12k miles now with no known issues, my car is a 93 so my CEL is on and it really doesnt bother me, my car is also boosted. As far as getting rid of the light, i think alot of guys on here leave everything plugged in and all the vacuum lines hooked up but then they block it off where it goes to the exhaust manifold.

1997 Ranger 4.0 V6, 5spd, 4" lift 33x12.50's
2007 Suzuki DRZ400SUMO, all blacked out---WHEELIE MACHINE!
1fastsilverGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
slinkyPgT

^ thats a good reply..
thanks

im blocking my egr off at the head I.E the egr completely removed...including ,boost/position senors and egr purge valve..are gonna be gone...freeing up vacuum and a little engine space
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Peteroo

yea i just did this the other day actually. my egr tube had a hole in it and it wasnt running correctly resulting in crappy idle. way too annoying for me to replace just the tube and didnt want to pay for it so i deleted it and plugged the vacuum line. still not sure what to do with the coolant lines i just plugged those too. but either way car runs great no problems that i have experienced. is it recommended to put a small coolant tube bridging the two that connected to the egr?
Peteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #5
1fastsilverGT
PT Regular

umm.....why do you have coolant running through your EGR?????
i think you have the IAC confused with the EGR somehow??

1997 Ranger 4.0 V6, 5spd, 4" lift 33x12.50's
2007 Suzuki DRZ400SUMO, all blacked out---WHEELIE MACHINE!
1fastsilverGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #6
slinkyPgT

yea no coolant lines running to the egr man...reconnect them to the iac..that will give u a shitty hot/cold start
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #7
hockeystyx16
Donating Member

i pulled out all my EGR garbage including the valve, then took the biggest bolt i could find thatd fit in the EGR hole on the head, JBwelded all over it and screwed it in. free EGR delete.

no side effects at all, slightly lower gas mileage but not a big deal, and i can get to the back of the engine real easy now without that mess back there. and my intake manifold is clean inside
94 325i...boring dd
02 R6....toy
hockeystyx16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #8
c-man
Mega Moderator

The solenoids keep the cel off though. Personally, I like knowing when something new triggers the cel, which is why I kept the solenoids properly routed for vacuum/electrical.

That would also keep the cel off without actually having the egr since there are no eproms currently available that only shut off the egr code 16.
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #9
short4stuff
On the Cutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastsilverGT View Post
umm.....why do you have coolant running through your EGR?????
i think you have the IAC confused with the EGR somehow??

My egr also had coolant lines going to it...

The whole thing is gone now anyways.

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life
short4stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #10
c-man
Mega Moderator

Umm, yep. The EGR valve has coolant hoses running through it. I've attached a pic thanks to the doc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egr.jpg (34.9 KB, 365 views)
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #11
Peteroo

yea defenitly has coolant going through it, if it doesnt then i have no clue what the f... is going on. eitherway plugged em. still kinda wondering what should be done...route a line to connect or plug em?
..btw clean pic
Peteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #12
slinkyPgT

yea my bad also for saying no coolant tubes...
i did my headers this weekend and saw the tubes.. just ran a new line from the TB to the coolant tube.. added a homemade block off plate... moved the vac source from the egr boost soleniod to a (vris soleniod) just under the boost soleniod...

c-man so u say i should keep the egr plugged in? as thad require me to go dumpster diving...but if it shuts the CEL off then im all for it otherwise it dont bother me
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #13
c-man
Mega Moderator

Keep the solenoids with vacuum and electrical top avoid the cel. I ran no egr without any cel's on the ze. The actual valve doesn't need to be there.

Peter: I would just loop the coolant lines as short as possible, not cap them.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #14
ya_whatever
Donating Member

if you don't have the egr valve wont you throw the code 16.. It's not the solenoid, but the position sensor mounted to the top of the egr????
ya_whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #15
slinkyPgT

right i removed the position sensor...but i remembered that i broke a vac fitting on the egr vsv so that goes out the window until i find a new vsv...but thanx c-man
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM   #16
c-man
Mega Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_whatever View Post
if you don't have the egr valve wont you throw the code 16.. It's not the solenoid, but the position sensor mounted to the top of the egr????
An electrical harness plugs into the egr valve itself? Bear with me, it's been a while but I thought the valve just has a vacuum line running from the solenoid mounted on the back of the IM.
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM   #17
polarexpress17
bibliographically epic

^ your correct, no electrical plugs going to the EGR valve.
polarexpress17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:00 AM   #18
c-man
Mega Moderator

^^^ thought so, unless the engineers like to further encourage melted solenoids. Don't mess with any of the vacuum routing/wiring to the solenoids, loop the coolant lines, cap the rear exhaust manifold port, and either block the open port running to the de im or upgrade to a ze im. OBD-I does not monitor the mechanical functioning of the egr system.
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:41 AM   #19
ya_whatever
Donating Member

Oh I got ya know. Ive never looked at it that close other than the tube to the headers and slipping a vac line on it, but I couldn't see. Thanks
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM   #20
WhiteDart
POC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarexpress17 View Post
^ your correct, no electrical plugs going to the EGR valve.
Wrong-o.

There is a three pin plug that plugs in directly to the EGR valve. This is the valve position sensor and it WILL cause a code to be thrown if it is left unhooked. Like was stated earlier, if all the vac lines, solenoids, and wiring is still plugged in, there should be no codes thrown. When the solenoids operate, and vacuum pulles open the EGR, the valve position sensor confirms to the ECU that its opened. The exhaust gasses don't need to flow through the valve, the ECU just needs to see that the valve opened to avoid codes. So the easiest way that I have to several cars is to cut the egr pipe off and pinch and weld it shut on the eger valve AND the exhaust manifold, that hook everything up like normal. Or if you are in CA or someplace that inspects the emission control systems like the egr, a cut pipe will be a dead giveaway. The pic posted by C-man would be a stealthy way to disable the system if it was bolted up like it is shown. The coolant lines are there to keep the egr valve from overheating from the hot exhaust gasses flowing through it and damaging the internals of it. But if there are no exhaust gasses to flow through it, then one doesn't need them.
Here you can CLEARLY see the plug on top of the EGR valve.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...nuary07006.jpg

Now, on an OBDII car, its a bit more difficult. There is a map sensor that actually monitors the changes in intake manifold vacuum caused by the opening of the egr valve. This is hit or miss with a 96+ as far as a code it concerned as some can disable the EGR system the way I stated, and the ECU never throws a code (the infamous P1195), but others throw one the first time driving the car. I got lucky and I never threw a P1195. But now I have MS and no emissions testing so I don't worry about codes anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gone but not forgotten:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(
) Its not purple dammit! Its
BOYSENBERRY!
New project
Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Last edited by WhiteDart; July 1st, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
WhiteDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM   #21
ya_whatever
Donating Member

So I'm only 50% nutz and 100% confused now ..
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:46 PM   #22
WhiteDart
POC Mod

To disable the EGR without codes, cut the EGR pipe and weld both ends shut while leaving the rest of the system intact. Done.

Gone but not forgotten:
(
) Its not purple dammit! Its
BOYSENBERRY!
New project
Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.
WhiteDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #23
suprakid366
Turbo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDart View Post
To disable the EGR without codes, cut the EGR pipe and weld both ends shut while leaving the rest of the system intact. Done.
hmm maybe ill do this then, and just jb weld the ends
suprakid366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #24
PGTphotographer

Does anybody have any near exact mpg #s that they were found to lose after the egr deletion? I keep reading about a 1-2 mpg drop being standard but nobody has said the actual affects they experienced.
PGTphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #25
Gt-Addict
BATN, but aka:
magnaflowsystem
Myfast93
kl93419
96kl
killzsrt's

and all these egr stuff is 4 what exactly?
Gt-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote