Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the PGT's hp and torque numbers underated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the PGT's hp and torque numbers underated?

I know the PGT's horsepower and torque are rated in the mid 160's, but gang, I think it must be more than that. I've driven cars with 180 to 200 horsepower that do not seem to pull as strongly as the Probe. Also our performance numbers are comparable to cars with more power. How can this be? I know most vehicles are rated on the dyno at the crankshaft. Is it possible Mazda did their ratings at the wheels? A car with only 164 hp should not be as fast as ours. I think the rated numbers are short by about 20.
    96PGT MTX. Totally stock and keeping it that way

uh NO
    its called power to WEIGHT ratio
    '06 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B - BNR HTA68 on E85
    '93 Volkswagen Corrado SLC VR6
    '06 Acura RSX type S - daily driver

Comment

uh NO
      its called power to WEIGHT ratio
      I considered that. The GT weighs in at nearly 3000lbs (at least mine does). That's not exactly light for a small coupe.
      96PGT MTX. Totally stock and keeping it that way

Comment

The KL's torque and power curves are broader than many other cars, which can make up for a considerable difference in peak power. A single HP number just doesn't tell the whole story.

Former PGT-turbo owner... now 2010 VW Golf TDI

Comment

On Friday August 10, 2001 6:40 PM, ASword wrote:
          The KL's torque and power curves are broader than many other cars, which can make up for a considerable difference in peak power. A single HP number just doesn't tell the whole story.
          Well said

New motor has 1700 miles on it running good so far...

Ross Pistons 10:1/Eagle Rods/66.5mm TB/Ported manifold/P&P heads w/5 angle valve job/Interprep "street" cams and springs/Pace$hitter headers/JJ RTP/Greddy Exhaust/Aeromotive FPR/Walbro 190/Fidanza FW/Clutchmasters Stg 3/Tokico Illuminas/Eibach Springs/Kosei K1 15lb wheels/gutted from front seats back-177whp 159ft/lbs SAE corrected stock ecu, N20 to come

Comment

Keep in mind gearing also has a lot to do with it.
            Chris

Comment

yes gearing is important
              2006 Mustang GT Premium -FRP Headers - Bassani X Pipe - Borla Axle Back - 15% tint - Granatelli CAI - FRRP 4.10's - Pro 5.0 Shifter - Brenspeed tune - 6000k HIDs - Clear Corners
              2006 Yamaha R1 50th Aniv. Edition

Comment

also keep in mind, the probe LOOKS fast :grin:

Comment

i drove my friends '90 Maxima SE for 1/2 the day yesterday... DIDN'T HOLD A CANDLE! didn't feel a fraction as fast as my MX-6. even when i was stock! and i know i smoke them all the time. especially now w/ mods. i even beat newer SE's (not the 222hp, the 190hp. i haven't run a 2000+ yet) with no problem at all. the broadness of the power band & gearing are VERY important.
                  MY OLD 17" RIMS ARE FOR SALE WITH TIRES!****
                  VAF for sale****
                  TPS for sale****
                  Valley Friction clutch for sale****
                  EMAIL ME!

(bloo-em-ex-six)
                  '94 MX-6 V6. LOTS of bolt ons!
                  and its FOR SALE!!!

http://www.probetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1921190820#post1921190820

Comment

but no, they arent under rated. check anyone's dyno plots. its legit.
                    MY OLD 17" RIMS ARE FOR SALE WITH TIRES!****
                    VAF for sale****
                    TPS for sale****
                    Valley Friction clutch for sale****
                    EMAIL ME!

(bloo-em-ex-six)
                    '94 MX-6 V6. LOTS of bolt ons!
                    and its FOR SALE!!!

http://www.probetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1921190820#post1921190820

Comment

UNDERATED? NO
                      with mods we normally dyno around 135-150. and then their is a couple of us at 161., but that is heavily modded,

Comment

So howcome the stock specs are rated at 160 if heavily modded people get only 161?

Comment

On Sunday August 12, 2001 12:38 AM, 93PGT_Neal wrote:
                          So howcome the stock specs are rated at 160 if heavily modded people get only 161?
                          Stock HP rating is 164.
                          That is at the flywheel which means the engine is producing that much HP.

By the time it makes its way through the drivetrain to the wheels, some of it is lost.

-Steve-
                          '04 IRL
                          the.transfer

Comment

Feeling fast and being fast are two different things. My '66 mustang feels more slugglish, but it rips apart my "faster -feeling" probe.

Gearing,
                            fwd pull,
                            suspension,
                            power band,
                            etc,
                            etc,

Theres a lot of factors for "seat of the pants" power.
                            2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
                            2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

i always try to tell people a powerband is what counts...not peak power!!
                              I had a grand prix that "felt faster" but that was only because it had more torque. When i raced a pgt with it i got stomped :grin:
                              The only under rater probes were the 1st gens with the turbo.
                              also remember we have gearing that coincides with the motor.
                              You just gotta love the probe
                              former 97 PGTS owner

i need to fix my e-mail address. it don't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X