MSD 6AL Wiring - 1996 Probe GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD 6AL Wiring - 1996 Probe GT

I've got a 1996 PGT with a 6AL w/MSD external coil installed. The ignition was installed years ago with a small wiring harness that connected everything through a little 3 pronged transistor.

I'm trying to get the car running for an event and have been having intermittent spark issues. While working through the wiring to diagnose the spark problem, the MJE305 transistor in the MSD harness broke off.

Does anyone have a good install thread they can link or wiring instructions so that I can get this thing wired correctly? I saw in other threads that this transistor often fails, and that it's possible to wire the MSD without it?
    05' AM General 1151 Up-Armored HMMWV "Humvee" TurboDiesel V8, 190chp - 400ctq on JP8
    99' Honda VTR1000F 996 Superhawk
    94' Ford Ranger 4.0L XLT
    96' Boysenberry Probe GT - ZE Swap

So I bought a 3055 transistor and found an old wiring diagram for the 96+ models. I guess my next move is to install that when it comes in and go from there. If it doesn't work I may convert to HEI.
    05' AM General 1151 Up-Armored HMMWV "Humvee" TurboDiesel V8, 190chp - 400ctq on JP8
    94' Ford Ranger 4.0L XLT

Comment

I used to have the MSD Digital 6 Plus controller and Blaster HVCII coil. I never even used my MJE3055 transistor. I used only the HEI module.

Ive still got the original transistor from MSD. It has some resistors and a bit of wire attached to it.
      DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
      94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

So you ran the MSD and a GM HEI module? I've ever understood the advantage of that.

I think the problem is a ground. The flat white connector near the transmission mount was not connected, the little tab coming off of it was gone.
        94' Ford Ranger 4.0L XLT

Comment

The HEI module is basically a really efficient transistor, which is the driver for the MSD box.
          When coupled to the HVCII coil, it produced TRIPLE LIGHTNING at idle speed. That spark was so powerful, it ate THROUGH the distributor cap in no time. Before it had the ignition melt-down, that ZE got about 35 MPG. Spark gap on the Denso Iridiums was set somewhere around .050 which is like double the original OEM gap.

Also, when the air got too moist, getting zapped from FOUR INCHES AWAY was not uncommon!
          DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
          94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Working...
          X