Things to look out for during road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to look out for during road trip

About to drive my ford probe with a 160k on it from NYC to Miami just because road trips r awesome with cars that you like anything special I should check before I set off

Originally posted by 2.5gt View Post
    About to drive my ford probe with a 160k on it from NYC to Miami just because road trips r awesome with cars that you like anything special I should check before I set off

that you got gas

Comment

You should check your fluid levels, belts, rubber hoses.
      Take a small set of metric tools with you.
      Check your spare tire, make sure it has air and is in usable condition.
      I would bring a small gas can, gallon of water, and quart of oil.
      I've Been Probed.

Comment

keep spare distributor with you... cuz yeah, they go when you least expect it.

* and just be sure your tires dont have those tiny cracks in them!! Cracks in tires= boom your fender, mirror, door cap, door skirt, etc gets ripped out.
        Last edited by MSDKLZE; August 20, 2017, 11:34 AM.
        DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
        94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Another random question for you all how far have you driven your probes

Comment

I have only driven 300 miles round trip in my 97. I can tell you if your valve cover gaskets leak at all that you will need to closely monitor the situation. A 5 speed car will sing along a 4000 to 4500 RPM if you are moving at 75-80 MPH. The valve cover gaskets will leak the entire way if they are already leaking.

When they leak they saturate the belts and the alternator so you risk failure on both belts and the alternator.

I try to keep the RPM's down as much as possible just because I am paranoid.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

I would take a spare alternator and distributor with me LOL!!!!! Plus tools to change said parts.
            1991 Ford Probe GT: Walbro 255HP,TKT T3/T04 .50 GN wheel, External Tial 38mm, .020 over, total seal rings, p&p, FMIC 28X7X3 core,440cc injectors

1996 Ford Probe GT: KLZE ATX daily driver

Comment

I had to drive my friend back to college after spring break on a whim and drove 750 miles in less than 18 hours at an average between 85-95 miles per hour (I stayed the night there) and my 94 PGT did very well. I keep my car well maintained all around and did an oil change immediately afterward, though.

Comment

A few years back I made a round trip from southern IL to North Carolina (Asheville area), then to South Carolina (Greenville), then back to IL. About 10 hours one way.

I keep my vehicles maintained and up to date too, and wouldn't worry too much about making a similar trip right now. Was getting ready to make a weekend day trip to Dayton, OH recently to pick up a bicycle but ended up being to arrange shipping with someone at a local bike shop. Would have used the Probe for that one too.

Never hurts to have tools, an extra quart or two of whatever oil you use, some extra coolant and water, and some towels for extended road trips.

Safe travels and have fun.
                Last edited by Silverprobe; August 23, 2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

at the beginning of July we drove from orlando to ohio (akron area) and back...straight through each way. It makes for a long day of driving. Nice thing is.....when going through the mountains gas mileage goes up to close to 30 from the 25-26 I get around florida. Just note, going through the mountains will also consume more oil as you have a good amount of time spent coasting in gear down hill which draws a bit of oil out the pcv system.

Make sure your transmission fluid level is up as well.

A bunch of years ago we drove from down here to ohio then over to missouri and back with the drives being straight throughs as well. Lost the radiator on the way back about 40 miles from the florida border. Plastic end tanks will fail at some point...just happened during a trip. If you want to invest in something...invest in a metal radiator.
                  '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
                  '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
                  '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

used to do Myrtle Madness back in the day 814 miles from Florida one way whipped Squids ass from a 70 roll in an almost stock pgt and he had bolt ons that was before he had the ZE
                    Last edited by j-dogg; August 23, 2017, 10:47 AM.
                    PhotoPOC(tm)
                    MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
                    93' PGT not stock
                    91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

yeah...you by yourself and me with my wife and a full trunk.....
                      '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
                      '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
                      '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Excuses....
                        PhotoPOC(tm)
                        MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
                        93' PGT not stock
                        91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

Working...
                        X