How much would it cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
    ... Tomcats had direct linkages running through the plane, but if you didn't have hydraulics you were going down anyway...
    Yes and no! They have push rods (linkages) that run through the backbone -but they hook up to pitch, yaw and roll mixer assemblies that are similar to power steering assist. Like you said -without the hydraulics -the plane would go down. At the end -there is always a large hydraulic cylinder that moves the fight control surfaces. That cylinder is controlled by the assemblies that the control rods hook to.

And then there is a "Feel" unit that provides the stick with the proper feedback to make it feel like the stick is connected directly to the surfaces. Without the hydraulics involved -the forces acting against the surfaces would be so great that the pilot would never be able to move them at speed.

But I still believe this (dual engine) can be accomplished electronically in this situation. And the clutch would be a problem even if you drove them from one master cylinder. You would need a proportioning valve -and how would you control that? Differences in inside linings of the hydraulic lines could vary the dividing of fluid. Small differences in cylinders could also make a difference as well as the lengths of hyd lines. And the pressure "feedback" from the clutch itself depending upon wear may cause differences in the engagement. There are too many variables to not have some sort of smart proportioning system involved.
    Last edited by KLZE Porsche; August 13, 2017, 09:14 AM.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

True, and don't forget about the eddy current damper in there. You wouldn't need a proportioning adapter for the clutches... necessarily... when plumbing the lines start with 2 lines the same length, coil up or zig zag the one that doesn't need to run as far. If there is a spring pressure difference I guess it could cause one clutch to open first and close second. It would probably work though. Start with 2 brand new identical clutches.

KLZE Porsche... Do you think you could have rigged up some kind of framework to hold an engine and trans in the back of ye olde electric car
      Probe out for Harambe
      94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
        ...KLZE Porsche... Do you think you could have rigged up some kind of framework to hold an engine and trans in the back of ye olde electric car
        Oh -I am sure I could have. However, it is a matter of incentive, spare time and years of life left. I don't have much of any of these! Oh and let's not forget about the $$$.

I have two or three major projects lined up that I would like to finish -and if I start another major project -one of these in the lineup may never be completed. I would still like to do Bonneville. I would still like to do the AWD Probe -and I would like to shove a KL into my Spitfire. I ordered the paint ('15 Mustang Magnetic Metalic) for the spitfire yesterday.

I think I could actually complete the Spitfire in a couple of months because there is not really much to it. The Bonneville project is no real big rush -but I would definitely like to do it before I kick the bucket. And the AWD has all of the parts sitting -I just need to finish up my two current big projects first. Then my time will be free (somewhat).

Time is never really free!!!
        Last edited by KLZE Porsche; August 13, 2017, 09:00 AM.
        Success is a measure of determination!
        Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
        $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
        Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

Okay more on the theoretical build here... Cut one cylinder each off of 2 blocks so the 2 5 cyl. blocks left can interlock. Use 2 cyl. heads to hold the 2 blocks together perfectly while the blocks get welded together. Do the same and opposing cyl. with the cradle and then the heads. So that the cradle seam and engine block weld seam are not on the same line and then do the heads the same as the cradle. Then it is just 4 cams, a crank, custom headers and ecu? Provided a 10 cyl KL wouldn't shake itself to pieces.
          Probe out for Harambe
          94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Working...
          X