Best braking bang for the buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best braking bang for the buck

Okay, I need to redo the stock brakes on my 94 PGT and am wondering what would be the greatest bang for the buck for a mostly street brake system. I don't want to spend >$1000 on big brakes, so these are my options (I think):
    1. No-name brake pads from parts store and re-surface rotors
    2. Performance brake pads and new rotors
    3. The RR-Racing $580 kit

Well, don't go #1. I bought some cheap pads from canadian tire awhile ago and they completely ruined my braking.

Pick up some PBR or Axxis pads (or something similar). Pads alone can have a large impact on braking. If you want to combat fade then you could buy some cross drilled or slotted rotors, but you'll only notice the difference if you work your brakes hard.

Rafi kits are really nice, but you will probably never require that much stopping power. Spend your money elsewhere.
    1994 PGT (15.15@92.3mph 60'-2.46) R.I.P.
    2006 Mustang GT Whipple Supercharged @ 11 psi - Stock engine, stock trans, stock clutch
    11.69 @ 122.6 mph

Comment

EBC Green brake pads from www.tirerack.com and powerslot or powerstop rotors will work great. I also have the EBC spot drilled and slotted rotors and while they have lasted a long time, I dont much care for them. Definitely go with these pads though. They are frickin awesome.
      Mike Bandy

Comment

Originally posted by RONINDICE
        EBC Green brake pads from www.tirerack.com and powerslot or powerstop rotors will work great. I also have the EBC spot drilled and slotted rotors and while they have lasted a long time, I dont much care for them. Definitely go with these pads though. They are frickin awesome.
        Mike Bandy

Ditto but I got mine from www.brakeco.com They were very cheap(for EBC's) and I got them in about 3 days!!! You might want to pick up some steel braided brake lines, cross drilled rotor's(maybe if you really want to), look into some duct work for the front brakes, sticky tires, hi temp brake fluid(I use wilwood 570 racing brake fluid), and the suspension is directly connected to braking. If you have worn out suspension that will hurt your braking. But for sure get the Green Stuff from EBC!! also I would do the steel braided brake lines before the rotors.

Jake
        Old Prober!!! Woot

Comment

unless you plan to goto a few HPDE's or something similar, you dont need ducts or bigger brakes.

Good pads (Hawk HP streets, for example) (DO NOT BUY race pads)

Good fluid (Valvoline Synthetic is dirt cheap and is sold damn near everywhere, and has good wet boiling point

Fresh rotors, and dont spend your money on crossdrilled or slotted unless they are cheaper. There is ZERO advantage.
          -Jesse
          "Racing makes herion addiction look like a vague desire for something salty."
          -93 MR2, #129 ES, SCCA ProSolo Season: 2nd place: 2004 & 2005 & 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by PseudoRealityX

Fresh rotors, and dont spend your money on crossdrilled or slotted unless they are cheaper. There is ZERO advantage.
            Zero advantage?? Then what's the point of people buying them if there is no advantage? I'm in the same market right now and was thinking of slotted rotors because of their abilty to dissapate the gases created by braking. Not to mention the better wet braking abitlities??
            Hope this helps,
            Eli

Comment

Slotted rotors, good pads (depending on car use) & lines

Thats all that matters...
              Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
              PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
              1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
              1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

Comment

Thanks and one more ?

I noticed that the Hawk pads and others have slots in the pads themselves. Would this slot work the same as a slotted rotor??
                Or is there unique differences between slotted rotors and pads? Thanks.
                Hope this helps,
                Eli

Comment

I bought my slotted and dotted Brembo rotors off of ebay. Granted I only have front discs and rear drums, the set of 2 rotors was 120 shipped. Then I got some Axxis Metalmaster brake pads for around 40. So the whole deal wasnt too bad, the next thing I need to go is Steel Braided brake lines.

Josh
                  Silver 2011 5.7L Toyota Tundra CrewMax
                  Former Owner of The Fastest N/A 2.0 Probe

Comment

hey, i was wondering because i heard that the crossdrilled rotors are bad, that they crack. i was wondering if it was just better to get the slotted, and decent pads instead of the crossdrilled. also, where would i find slotted only rotors, and also decent performance pads? also, what do the steel braided brakelines do exactly? where could i find these at and how much would they be? thanks for all the help, i'm just starting to research brakes and stuff
                    klo3, borla muffler, indiglos, red undercar neons, visonik 12", 800 watt amp, pioneer mp7400 headunit, and a lot to be added soon ;-)
                    look for me on mx6.com most

Comment

Braking best bang for the buck? Uh, have good tires, inflate them properly, and align them correctly....othersie the best brakes in the world won't do jack

Comment

Originally posted by Ely 626 V6
                        I noticed that the Hawk pads and others have slots in the pads themselves. Would this slot work the same as a slotted rotor??
                        Or is there unique differences between slotted rotors and pads? Thanks.
                        usually all the good brake pads have a slot in the middle. i do not know the real use for it, but i believe its use to release the brake dust. if you buy those $10 pads, you'll notice there are no slots on them and after a little while they start squeaking and makes a wooooooooooooooo noise.

Originally posted by nolanspawn
                        I bought my slotted and dotted Brembo rotors off of ebay. Granted I only have front discs and rear drums, the set of 2 rotors was 120 shipped. Then I got some Axxis Metalmaster brake pads for around 40. So the whole deal wasnt too bad, the next thing I need to go is Steel Braided brake lines.

Josh
                        i brought these rotors too. they're pretty good other than the fact that they rust

Comment

Originally posted by lavajumper
                          hey, i was wondering because i heard that the crossdrilled rotors are bad, that they crack. i was wondering if it was just better to get the slotted, and decent pads instead of the crossdrilled. also, where would i find slotted only rotors, and also decent performance pads? also, what do the steel braided brakelines do exactly? where could i find these at and how much would they be? thanks for all the help, i'm just starting to research brakes and stuff
                          I have brembo crossdrilled rotors that have not cracked...and I autocross. I think it depends on the quality of the rotor. I know die hard racers that will never use crossdrilled or slotted rotors...I only have them to be cool!

Steel Braided Brake lines don't swell with the heat caused from braking. The OEM rubber lines will swell and cause a "soft" brake feeling. You get more swelling/fade with lots of hard braking. Brake fluid has a boiling point..braking causes heat...lots of heat...heat is bad. Heat is bad for rotors..pads..fluid..lines.

Before I get flamed your braking system does have an operating temp that it works best at. The more Hi-performance your baking is the more heat you need to make it work better! I typically warm up my brakes before my autocross run.

Jake
                          Old Prober!!! Woot

Comment

Working...
                          X