Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miatafied Triumph Spitfire 1500 (and possibly KL-ified)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt, I sent a Probe circle track car owner your way and told him that you were probably the best source for an engine management system to fit his needs. I told him that you might also be able to help him out with tuning software and other info. He is the car owner -but I don't think he is the driver. From the photos he sent -they look like a fairly professional team. They were holding a first place giant check (quite a few zeros) for one of their races. I don't know as though I have ever seen another Probe in a major circuit first place win.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Thanks! I think I spoke with him on the phone yesterday.
      Matt at DIYAutoTune.com
      My PM box fills up fast - it's much better to email me at websales@diyautotune.com

Comment

Aren't the Getrags also known to have issues? I did marginal research more than 3 yrs ago and didn't like the results of the V8 guys with the GM pumpkins. Ford 9" is 'slight' overkill but the innards are nearly infinitely customizable and the volume means prices are reasonable.

Spotting a T-bird/Ford aluminum IRS pumpkin might be a bit of work though.
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
          Aren't the Getrags also known to have issues? I did marginal research more than 3 yrs ago and didn't like the results of the V8 guys with the GM pumpkins. Ford 9" is 'slight' overkill but the innards are nearly infinitely customizable and the volume means prices are reasonable.

Spotting a T-bird/Ford aluminum IRS pumpkin might be a bit of work though.
          Yes they are -found out after purchasing. But then I researched more and found that they have problems of leakage. If leaks go undetected and unattended -this could explain grenading diffs.

And yes the Ford aluminum IRS pumpkins are a bit harder to locate. That is why I chose GM. I guess they are more available due to the reported problems. But I know there are a lot of GM products out there using this pumpkin which makes the failure rate fairly low.

I also do not intend to put lots of miles on this car -and it would be hard to put lots of load on the pumpkin due to the weight of the car. I am going to press on with the Getrag -unless I spot a Ford one for fairly cheap.
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

I think you went in the right direction - was just wondering if you found out new info about the GM line. I agree that for your TQ output the Getrag will do the job just fine, and since you'll be spending as much time under it as in it, you'll be on top of maintenance

Looking forward to the progress!
            90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
            93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
            97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
            90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
              ...I was just wondering if you found out new info about the GM line...
              I had done a lot more reading up on the problem and found way more people saying they haven't had any problems with them under much power. So I think I should be OK. I plan to at least peek into this one to see the internal condition and then do a really good seal job on it. I may even add a thin gasket if it doesn't affect shimming.
              Restoration of a legend

Comment

Im glad to see you are still playing around with some funky stuff. Your threads and also Dan[Sac]'s builds are what made me decide to do build a KL-miata
                Mazda 626 GT - 2.5 V6 - KL31
                Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

Originally posted by Zepticon View Post
                  Im glad to see you are still playing around with some funky stuff. Your threads and also Dan[Sac]'s builds are what made me decide to do build a KL-miata
                  The day that I die -will probably be the day that I stop playing around with "funky stuff". For me -it is the spice of life! Spicy girls cannot be the spice of life for me -so cars come in from 2nd place for a strong 1st place win!

P.S. Please be sure to post up that KL Miata. I love anything and all "KL-ified".
                  Last edited by KLZE Porsche; January 10, 2018, 10:03 AM.
                  Restoration of a legend

Comment

Rear A-arms re-finished and bushings installed

Here is the latest. I burned out the old decaying rubber bushings and installed all poly bushings. Before installing the bushings -I sandblasted and refinished the A-arms. I thought about getting them powder-coated -but the chances of them seeing lots of time outdoors or exposed to corrosive things or leaking oil etc. are extremely slim to none. This will be a definite garage queen when finished. It will see occasional sunny weekends or perhaps a car show or two -and so I don't think the durability of powder-coating is a necessity. And besides -at some point -I may even have a full set CNC machined from billet 6061. So these will do for now:

I am still in the holding pattern for welding. The friend that is supposed to do the welding for me has been extremely busy. So if his time doesn't free up soon -then I may be investing in my own MIG welder and learning how to MIG. My daughter says it is easier to do than stick welding and I used to be fairly good at stick welding -so maybe I will pick it up quick.
                    Last edited by KLZE Porsche; January 20, 2018, 09:10 PM.
                    Restoration of a legend

Comment

And just when I was beginning to think it would never happen...

I was starting to think that my friend would never have enough time to do some welding for me -when I got a call from him yesterday and he asked if 2pm today would be good for me and I said "sure".

So now it is time to start hacking on the main frame. I am thinking that I will definitely have to go with a cantilevered strut system and so as soon as I have the basic frame layout -I will then need to spend some time in the CAD software to design up something that I can do with some aluminum cantilever arms.

I have ordered a few different motorcycle -used rear shock knuckles which look to be a good cantilever arm with roller bearings. If these turn out to be beefy enough -then I think I can work with them:

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; January 31, 2018, 05:28 PM.
                      Restoration of a legend

Comment

thats is very cool. id like to see it when its done
                        Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

I guess my project is also kind of all over the place as well. I had been trying to do lots of the math calculations for determining desired spring rate and that was difficult enough as it was.

There are so many variables thrown into these calculations that it is nearly impossible to calculate accurately without known un-sprung weights (which I have no idea of as of yet) or spring angles (again -no idea as of yet).

So I found a website where a guy was good with all of these calculations and these guys in England are modifying some sort of small British roadster with cantilever suspensions. He said that they are also using motorcycle suspension knuckles and to be exact -Hyabusa -and also the adjustable coil over shock. I find it very perplexing that every bit of research that I do in the interest of performance improvement -always seems to lead me back to the Busa.

I thought that the Busa spring would not have near enough spring rate -but this guy said they actually have too much (750 lb). But he also said that these shocks are very high quality with double valve adjustments (rebound & compression) as well as the threaded body for length.

I was so sold on this that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on eBay for one:

I am sure that I can find a way to work with too much vs. too little. There is a very wide variety of knuckles with varying ratios and so I can experiment there -and I am also sure that you can get springs to fit in less rates than stock.
                          Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 1, 2018, 09:33 AM.
                          Restoration of a legend

Comment

Do you have the calculations for determining spring rate and suspension design? If you are in need of these I can try to get on my laptop and copy them onto here somehow. Been awhile but went to school for automotive engineering awhile back. The notes are on my old laptop still if they would be useful?
                            1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                            2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                            99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Originally posted by Level 9 View Post
                              Do you have the calculations for determining spring rate and suspension design? If you are in need of these I can try to get on my laptop and copy them onto here somehow. Been awhile but went to school for automotive engineering awhile back. The notes are on my old laptop still if they would be useful?
                              Oh definitely yes! If you have calculations for a cantilever system -it would be so much appreciated. Thanks!
                              Restoration of a legend

Comment

I will see what I have. Is on a thumb drive here somewhere or my stepdaughter has my old laptop. Once I get a hold of one or the other I'll get you what I have.
                                1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                                2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                                99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Working...
                                X