Still leaking oil after changing VC gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still leaking oil after changing VC gasket

Because oil was leaking, I changed the left valve cover gasket. However, now I find more oil leaking than before. Here's what I did in the process of replacing the gasket:

1. Properly cleaned the mating surfaces of oil and old sealant.
    2. Fitted the gasket properly in the groves of the cover.
    3. Applied new sealant in all the corners, as indicated in Haynes manual.
    4. Closed up the cover -- I didn't have a torque wrench, but I screwed the bolts neither too tightly nor too loosely.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to prevent the oil leak? Should I be applying the sealant all along the edges rather than just the corners?

I am a novice as far as car repair is concerned and would appreciate any help.

Thank you.
    Troy.

where is it leaking oil at? in the plug wells or around the edge? Did you put the isolators back on?

The only thing I can think of that may be the problem is perhaps your cracked your valve cover itself. The only reason i say this is because I cracked mine and didn't even know it. I changed the gasket and didn't have a torque wrench so I tightened them down to where i thought they sould be. I noticed an oil leak and would tighten the bolt a little more and more. Last week I finally took off the cover and a large chunk around where the bolt goes it simply fell off- it cracked somehow and I have no idea how. I got a new one at a yard and now no more oil leaks.
    '04 Silver Mazda3s Hatch... not really stock
    '89 Blue Jeep Cherokee 4x4....yea this isn't stock either
    '46 Gray Pontiac Coupe.. this one is very stock
    '02 Red/Black Honda CBR 600 F4i... some go fast goodies

Comment

Looking from above, I couldn't tell where it is leaking; I will remove the sparkplugs and looks around the edges to figure out where it's leaking and post back here. All I can see is a small oil puddle (bigger than before) on the ground. I surely hope it is not a crack. I remember putting everything back meticulosuly, but what are isolators?

Is it required to put the sealant all along the edges rather than just the corners?

-troy

Comment

you only need RTV on the edges and where indicated in the manual. Isolators are the little inserts and gaskets that the bolts sit in inside the valve cover. They are black with silver tops.

Comment

Yes, I made sure all the isolators are in. However, I checked and found that it is actually the coolant that is leaking, and not so much the oil. I was fooled, because the original problem was in fact oil leak and just assumed that whatever is dripping is oil.

The coolant problem has also been going on for a while -- it just seems to have intensified. I took it to a small shop to find that there is a problem with the water pump. The estimate to replace the pump is around $700. These maintenance expenses are killing me. I will be going to college this fall and desperately trying to save some money. I am just getting beat up by these repairs. When it rains it pours, I guess.

Is there anything I can do on my own? To replace the water pump, I figured I need to remove the timing belt and the pulleys etc. Not sure how tricky this is going to be for someone who has never done this before. Any suggestions?

Also, the car stutters and thought it was because of oil that leaked into the plug holes. So, I am going about changing the valve cover gaskets. Replacing one gasket didn't fix it. So I am going to replace the rear gasket also. But in the meantime, I want to see whether the plug wires are OK. How do you check whether a sparkplug wire has gone bad? I checked to see whether there are any cracks or any sparks when the car is running. No visible damage to the wires. Any thing I can do to check whether the plug wires are working, just as you check whether the plugs are good? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

P.S. Mileage on the car is around 79,000 miles and have not done any major maintenance to it except changing oil and replacing sparkplugs and wires 2 yrs ago.

Comment

For someone who has never done any repair, water pump replacement is gonna be a major pain. It's not THAT bad tho. There is a write up somewhere on this board. Someone has also posted it on his webspace. Search for it.

As for the wires, you can check for the resistance. I don't remembet the exact numbers on the top of my head tho. Again, search for it. My guess is your disty (rotor/cap) is going bad. I had to replace mine (96 GT also) even before 60k.

Changing the rear vcg could be tricky (when you remove the IM). Go slow and watch for the vacuum hose underneath the IM. Many people (including myself )broke the vacuum chamber nipple while doing so. You could do a lot of things while you're at it. Phenolic spaces, vacuum check valve, replace crappy old vacuum hoses with silicone hoses, etc etc. Make sure you get all vacuum hoses hooked correctly.

If you're still using cheapo dino oil, it's time for a flush and switch to synthetic. Again, search for kerosene flush.

I can provide you a shop manul CD at no cost (minus the shipping, of course). E-mail me at onlyp@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Good luck.

btw, $700 isn't THAT bad (parts included) for water pump AND timing belt. You should also replace timing belt tensioner arm while you're at it.

knb13, go get a torque wrench and properly re-torque your valve cover bolts.
            My car - another fully functioning OBD-II ZE.

What the hell is Lomo?

Comment

My VC bolts broke when I torqued them to much. Actually it was to spec, but the bolt must have been fatigued. I can't imagine you breaking the VC with the little bolts that hold it down. Unless you didn't put the inserts in.
              Good luckon the water pump.

Comment

I was very careful with those bolts and I am sure I didn't over torque. Like you said, I am guessing the one bolt that broke was fatigued. Now, looks like Ford doesn't supply these bolts any longer. Mazda does (80 cents apiece), but they are back ordered.

Can you suggest any place I can find replacement bolts for the VCG? As far as I can think, I have to go to a parts store and match up the bolt with whatever they have.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_mn
                  I was very careful with those bolts and I am sure I didn't over torque. Like you said, I am guessing the one bolt that broke was fatigued. Now, looks like Ford doesn't supply these bolts any longer. Mazda does (80 cents apiece), but they are back ordered.

Can you suggest any place I can find replacement bolts for the VCG? As far as I can think, I have to go to a parts store and match up the bolt with whatever they have.
                  80 cents? Wow!!! I paid like $18 for an entire set of front VC bolts!!! I'd jump on that and sell them!

ßill
                  2006 MAZDASPEED 6 GT
                  94 PGT- w/some mods
                  Midnight's Domain
                  NEPO NY LONG ISLANDâ„¢
                  -oh yeah and "underground"

Comment

Your $18.00 was prob for both the bolts and washers. I priced them when I broke two of mine. They are sold separately. I ended up going to a junk yard..... Free!
                    I needed them now, the dealer had to special order them. It was going to be nearly $4.00 for two bolts and washers!

Comment

Washers??? For what?

What the hell is Lomo?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyp
                        Washers??? For what?
                        they are the same thing as isolators...the "washers" or gromets that sit under the valve cover bolts.

Comment

Grommets are not washers. They don't look the same. Their purposes are not the same.

j/k Um just messing with y'all.

What the hell is Lomo?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyp
                            Grommets are not washers. They don't look the same. Their purposes are not the same.

yes i know they are different but some people use them as the same terms.

Comment

Originally posted by knb13
                              they are the same thing as isolators...the "washers" or gromets that sit under the valve cover bolts.
                              You are correct, washers are not the same as gromets. The gromets go inside of the rubber isolaters to keep the Valve Cover from being tigtened down to much. The washers that I was refuring to go between the bolt and the rubber isolator and helps even out the presure on the rubber isolator.
                              What is my car the only one that has the stock slightly dome shaped washers??? I doubt it. The metal object that cover the rubber isolator
                              There are 4 peices per bolt hole, the rubber isolator, the gromet that goes inside the isolator, the "washer" that goes on top of the isolator and the bolt that goes down thur all of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X