3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

After having not-so-great results using kits that require hand-sanding, I decided to finally try a power drill kit. I saw good reviews for the 3M kit online so I decided to give it a try. It usually sells for $20-25 in the stores, but I got mine on eBay for $13 shipped. It includes the drill attachment with velcro pad, all necessary sanding discs, foam buffing pad, rubbing compound, and what they call synthetic protectant (which I think is just some synthetic wax). Like most kits, you start sanding with the coarse disc, then progress to the 2 more finer discs, then rubbing compound. The process took me about 3 hours all together, but I'm sure a lot of people could do it faster than that.

A little background: My Mazdaspeed 6's headlights were yellowed and hazed when I bought it almost a year ago. This is typical of Mazda as I'm pretty sure they use the cheapest and least-durable plastics for their headlights. During last summer, I used a Turtle Wax hand sanding restoration kit that gave me OK results, but not that great. Fast forward to now, and my headlights have gotten so brown and hazy looking I had to do something. It was making the car look waaayyy older than it is. After completing the process, the lenses are almost totally clear now (except for a bit of interior hazing on the passenger headlight, which I can't do much about) and I can actually see my headlight beam patterns at night now! I'm not sure how long they'll last until I'll need to do another light sanding and polishing, but at least this is better than spending $600 on a new set of lights. Anyways, here's the pics. Anyone else tried this kit?

Before:

After

1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

2006 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed 6

Next time get tr3 takes about 5 min per light with some elbow muscle.
    The come back kid
    96 Ford Probe Turboed 12.202 @ 118.74 R.I.P
    97 Mx-6 all motor 13.7 @ 98 parted out
    88 Mx-6 Turbo Classic 14.5@93 SOLD
    93 323 hatchV6 turbo! To be announced

Comment

Red your PGT looks dumped!!
      1993 PGT-DE-T Silver Surfer - 8psi

1995 PGT Daily Driver - D2's - Turbo kit sitting in garage

1997 F-150 - Home Depot Getter

2004 Acura TSX - Wife Mobile

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - My new toy

Comment

Haha yeah she sits pretty low. Theres no weird camber though, I'm not sure why it looks like that in the pic. Gotta get some spacers on so the wheels aren't so hella sunk.
        Last edited by RedGT; February 19, 2012, 10:09 PM.
        1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

Comment

Hmmm. Nice. Gotta try this with my corners.

Comment

Used the 3M kit on my sisters Saturn and they came out like new. Tried Meguiars Plastx by hand before that and not even close to the results of the 3M kit with a drill.

Comment

I also have used the 3M restoration kit; amazing results.

Comment

Mother's has a kit that works great too.
                Probe out for Harambe
                94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

I've seen people use toothpaste

Comment

3M kit works amazing. Just be careful not to distort the shape of the lens with the drill.

Comment

shit guy my headlight is 10x worse than that and i think i'm sold on that stuff. i like when guys have good results with stuff i've never tried before.
                      1997 Honda Del Sol S

Comment

And another Speed 6er, so you probably know about the awful Mazda headlight syndrome. The kit works really well, just be sure to mask off the paint with a couple layers of tape and take your time. If I have to do it again, I'll remove them to make it easier to get into the corners.

Comment

Working...
                        X