No announcement yet.

My cure for the far too common low oil pressure gauge reading problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody using a touch of dielectric grease to help keep a good, corrosion-free contact?

And as a reminder to anybody thinking about it, this trick only counts if you have a 93PGT, not a 94+PGT, unless you've replaced the sending unit AND the oil gauge or gauge cluster in the dash.
    Jin "Time Traveler" Kim
    chrono@chrono.org
    http://www.chrono.org
    '95 PGT own
    '06 Mazdaspeed 6
    '13 Evolution GSR
    '90/'91 PGT owned

Comment

thank you!!

Originally posted by probepimp
      I tried searching to see if this has ever been posted before but the search function seems to be down.

On both of my 93 PGTs, the oil pressure has always read low. I know it's a common occurance on these cars, but it annyoyed the hell out of me and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do. On my red PGT, the gauge read between the 'A' and the 'L' of 'NORMAL" on the gauge; not too bad but low enough for me to be unconfortable. On my black daily driver PGT, it was extremely low, being only a hair above the red line on the bottom.

I decided to pull off the oil pressure sending unit located to the left of the exhaust manifold (if looking into the engine bay). I took it off and noticed the electrical connector on it was a little corroded. All I did was simply take sandpaper and sanded it clean, installed it back on the car and plugged it back in. I did this on my red PGT first. Went and started the car and the oil pressure read perfecrtly in the middle of 'NORMAL' now. So far it seems to be staying there too. I did the same thing to my black PGT, and it also raised it, moving it from just above that red mark to the 'A' of the 'NORMAL'.

Like I said, I don't know if this was ever posted, but I thought I'd share my little find.
      I have just subscribed to this gruop and your post solved the big question about my ressurected wreck-now just have to set camber.John Pierson-Minnesota

Comment

I hope more people go do this if they have oil pressure gauge problems. It worked for me, hopefully it works for others as well.
        will be doing this the next time i change my oil, great find darren ...
        Pictures - Videos
        1993 Mazda RX7, 35R swapped R1

Comment

Originally posted by Nechronius
          Anybody using a touch of dielectric grease to help keep a good, corrosion-free contact?

And as a reminder to anybody thinking about it, this trick only counts if you have a 93PGT, not a 94+PGT, unless you've replaced the sending unit AND the oil gauge or gauge cluster in the dash.
          why not? 94's have the notorious "shitty oil pressure gauge" mod to, all of my 94's have had it...
          Pictures - Videos
          1993 Mazda RX7, 35R swapped R1

Comment

I'm sure he was just mistaken, and meant '95+, since that's when the OPSU was changed to a switch-type unit.
            '95+ will either read that you have pressure, or you don't. They aren't variable.
            '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
            '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

i took out the oil sending unit. sanded it even took it apart and looked inside, but it looked like it was fine and no corrosion anywhere, but still oil pressure was low. I tried to put aftermarket gauge and sending unit and still oil pressure was low. I also here a tiking noise from my engine when idle, so i think the last thing to try before oil pump change is to shim the oil pump(i'm 100% sure that shimming will rise oil pressure) shim worked fine for many people here on probetalk and mx6.com! So I'm for the shimming the pump well it is not hard to do the job!!!
              Last edited by estonez; November 26, 2004, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by estonez
                I tried to put aftermarket gauge and sending unit and still oil pressure was low.
                I had an inaccurate reading on my aftermarket guage / sender until I cut the wire to my stock guage. Now things are fine.
                Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
                1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

i did that thing too. send aftemarket unit / stock gauge (in this case stock gauge needle read the oil pressure not upwards as it should when pressure rises instead needle was going downwards, i mean that sending unit was operating normaly but only reading the pressure backwards in stock gauge)

Comment

To expand on my previous post....

I had my autometer OPSU installed with my stock guage still in place without the aftermarket guage because my ZE's OPSU failed shortly after it was installed. It appeared to make the stock guage actually work as a functional guage rather than the dummy guage.

It wasn't until I hooked up the Autometer guage itself that I found I could not have my stock guage hooked up or it would throw the reading off. Unfortunately, I don't remember how off since it's been over 2 years... but I *think* it left the AM guage pegged.

Hmm, my Oil Pressure on my AM guage has been ~20psi lower than it should be even tho I have no HLA ticking at all. I wonder if having it hooked up to the stock guage and then combined with the AM guage could have potentially hurt the sender and maybe my oil pressure is actually just fine.
                    Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
                    1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

• if you don't here hla ticking, then you possibly have normal oil pressure.
                      my oil gauge reads lower then two years ago and i here hla, espesialy when the engine is cold, so shiming is my next project!
                      Last edited by estonez; November 29, 2004, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• my red 93 gt has same probelm

If i knew were it was i would clean mine off to cause mine somtimes gets right over the L in normal but at idle its lower but its been runnning strong for a while now.
                        I tried searching to see if this has ever been posted before but the search function seems to be down.

On both of my 93 PGTs, the oil pressure has always read low. I know it's a common occurance on these cars, but it annyoyed the hell out of me and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do. On my red PGT, the gauge read between the 'A' and the 'L' of 'NORMAL" on the gauge; not too bad but low enough for me to be unconfortable. On my black daily driver PGT, it was extremely low, being only a hair above the red line on the bottom.

I decided to pull off the oil pressure sending unit located to the left of the exhaust manifold (if looking into the engine bay). I took it off and noticed the electrical connector on it was a little corroded. All I did was simply take sandpaper and sanded it clean, installed it back on the car and plugged it back in. I did this on my red PGT first. Went and started the car and the oil pressure read perfecrtly in the middle of 'NORMAL' now. So far it seems to be staying there too. I did the same thing to my black PGT, and it also raised it, moving it from just above that red mark to the 'A' of the 'NORMAL'.

Like I said, I don't know if this was ever posted, but I thought I'd share my little find.

Comment

• Just replace mine last week and it stop doing that bobbing effect...
                          Black 93GT. KYB G2 struts, drop kit and pretty cool sounding res... more to come....

Comment

• BEFORE I WANTED TO SHIMM MY OILPUMP I DID THE OIL CHANGE WITH KEROSENE FLUSH TWO TIMES IN A ROW AND IT ENCREASED MY OIL PREESURE AND KILLED THE HLA TICKING!!!
                            CHECK THIS THREAD
                            http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701134760

Comment

• in the same place on 97 gt
                              89 LX 2.2 atx
                              97 GT 2.5 mtx
                              zenon 200.4 diamond d6

Comment

• what is kero flush any adverse affects from it
                                89 LX 2.2 atx
                                97 GT 2.5 mtx
                                zenon 200.4 diamond d6

Comment

Working...