Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh... thats ok.. I thought you were going to say you used your OLD head bolts!!
    2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport- Traded

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- Totaled

Comment

Mine have been used twice already, to be honest I never checked the spec. length of them. When I worked for an engine rebuilding shop my boss told me not to waste time and measure them because if they are bad you will feel them stretch while torquing them... I had that a few times as well as some that just snapped right off.
      1994 PGT MS2 LC-1 370cc 190lph KLZE intake ported heads Turbonetics T4 2.5" Magnaflow STS MX3 flywheel ceramic clutch, 355fwhp ** sold
      1980 Fairmont 4-door, S472, Megasquirt, 351C, 678rwhp.
      2003 Mach 1, FR500 engine, 372rwhp w/out spray.
      2003 Escape, slow.

Comment

Here is a question about valve jobs...When the seats and valves are ground, the valve stem will mount a little higher in the head. My understanding is that the machinist has to grind a little off the stem to get the height to spec so the HLA's can properly do their job. Am I correct on that and how critical is that dimension?
        96 Rio red GT

Comment

The machine shop I used to work at had a Serdi machine that would shorten the stem however much was ground off the seat of the valve, to compensate for the seat in the head being machined you had to do that in a seperate step. A LOT of shops skip that step from what I have heard... you have to be picky and be sure its done right.
          1994 PGT MS2 LC-1 370cc 190lph KLZE intake ported heads Turbonetics T4 2.5" Magnaflow STS MX3 flywheel ceramic clutch, 355fwhp ** sold
          2003 Escape, slow.

Comment

Good to know. The shop I had a quote from found a spec for that dimension so it sounds like he will do it right. But I could see where if a shop does not know or care what exactly is above the valves, they wouldn't do it.
            96 Rio red GT

Comment

Jon93PGT,

I thought I saw on the dyno thread, that your car had head porting & polishing on its way to 210 hp, but here you say,

"As for port work on the heads, there is always the rule that "every little bit helps" but I cannot justify $1200 for a couple horsepower... Heck, even 10 hp... Not worth it in my book."

So, how much or what kind of headwork have you had done?

Comment

I am interested in the HLA/Lifter issue. I am working on a 'secret' project and am curious about the solid lifters available on the 98+ 626. I did a search on www.importperformanceparts.net and came up with this:

626 KL
                2507cc (153") 1998-02
                24 valve; DOHC V6

Lifter/Lash Adjuster
                Part # - LIFMA15S
                $9 each

The part number for the 1993-97 MX6 (KL) is LIFMA15 and are $19 each

I would assume the S at the end of the part number stands for solid. But that is just my guess. I am worried that the stock lifters (HLAs) will be loud as hell with my setup. This is why I am considering the solid lifters. Do we know that the solid lifters would be ok, or has anyone actually run them. From my understanding I assume that they should drop right in and work fine. I wish I could get some measurements and specs on them to compair them to our normal lifters.

Any ideas?
                2006 Evolution IX - Best ET: 8.92 // Best MPH: 166.85

Comment

There are quite a few people running them, the pain in the ass is that you have to shim them when adjusting lash. It takes quite a long time to go through all 24 of them unless your extremely lucky or aren't that particular and check one and shim them all the same. I wouldn't recommend that though...
                  2003 Escape, slow.

Comment

How are they exactly shimmed? Also does anyone know if the part number I listed above is what I need. I don't have a problem paying $9 a piece for a brand new parts!
                    2006 Evolution IX - Best ET: 8.92 // Best MPH: 166.85

Comment

I'm glad to see streetthismx6 show up in this thread... I didn't know you were still around here.

I thought that solid lifters caused issues with the cams in our motors. It was my understanding that the HLA's made up for imperfections in the cam grind and that solid lifters needed a more gradual ramp to operate correctly.

9 vs 19 is nice though

One question for streetthis, is there a thread somehwere on PT that you know of that would list the mods to your motor at the 196 whp mark?

I'm sure you've been asked a million times but I'm getting to the point where I'd like to know "what else" I can do short of the bottom end.
                      DE/ZE Hybrid 189 WHP 165 WTQ <--- SPUN #6
                      Motor #3 184 WHP 159 WTQ pulled from junkyard... DE PISTONS/HEADS 125,000 miles
                      BACK TO MOTOR #1 REBUILT, NO NUMBERS YET

Comment

Originally posted by jmmdm2
                        I thought that solid lifters caused issues with the cams in our motors. It was my understanding that the HLA's made up for imperfections in the cam grind and that solid lifters needed a more gradual ramp to operate correctly.
                        Yes, you need the cams off that 626 motor too. I don't know that there are any particular advantages to using the solid lifters, but there'll certainly be a disadvantage: periodic shim adjustment. I'm curious what kind of performance engine is built with a concern for operational noise. That wouldn't be much of a consideration for me, personally.

Comment

The reason I had mentioned shimming each lifter individually was for the assumption of using the oem Probe cams. You can use them, but you can't check one and shim the whole head the same as that one bucket. But then again, you really shouldn't do that anyway.

As far as how they are shimmed, its the same as a Honda, Toyota or Motorcycle engine incase you've ever seen one of those shimmed. You install the entire valve train with no shims, measure the clearance of each bucket, do the math to see how much you need to add to find proper lash, then take the cams out and install the shims under each bucket, reinstall it all, check it all again, if it is off a little... repeat process. Its a PITA if you ask me, but atleast its only a V6 But as said above there any benefits to the swap for 98% of us.
                          2003 Escape, slow.

Comment

Wow.. So glad to still see this thread being discussed! I'm sorry I haven't checked it more and been in touch with all of you. I have finished my heads and am now getting into the bottom end. It will be much easier to do the bottom end because a lot of work has already been done, but I plan to use the Wiseco pistons with the Millenia S Rods... I just purchased the rods.. all 6 brand new for $270 shipped from IPP...

Anyway... onto the replies!

mls98373- The 210WHP engine is one that I helped build. Another BAPOC member, Dan [Sac], and I built the engine for our drag car. It has head porting and polishing on KL03 heads. I chose to use KLZE heads and NOT do any porting, to save on cost.

As for the solid lifter debate, I too think they are nice considering the cost, but as Skelly mentioned, the periodic lash adjustment and need for a different cam is not all that attractive to me. The HLA is there to reduce noise, and also make up for any imperfections or differences in machining of the cam surfaces. Then you have to use the 626 cam... I'd rather use stock HLAs and then a cam of my choice.

Also, as rurockn said, there really isn't any advantage for 98% of us..

Good luck!
                            2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

Comment

First time reading through this entire post, Nice job putting it together JON. How are the CZT Retainers I sold you working out? I finally finished my car (again) and went with a set of CZT Ti retainers & chromoly locks and Interprep performance valve springs. I wanted the CZT springs, however I got tired of waiting on CZT, G-Force and searching for a "new set" from a private owner. Not to mention I got ripped purchasing one set already! Anyways the CZT / Interprep set-up look like quality pieces and the cost was about $600.00. Was it worth it? Probably not, but at least I have it and I dont have to worry about that part of it again.

The CZT Ti retainers look an awful lot like the Ferra pieces... Too bad Ferra's will only work with other Ferra components. They should be made to standard DE retainer specs....

Hope to see some fellow ProbeTalk'ers this year! Even though I live like 3+ hours from the closest one
                              Last edited by danieldepetro; May 6, 2005, 11:01 AM.
                              1969-1/2 Dodge Super Bee (A12, M-code, 440 Six Pack, 4-speed , Dana 60 rear w/4.10 gears)
                              1973 Plymouth Duster (225 Super Six, aluminum 4-speed O/D, 8.25" rear w/3.55 gears)
                              1974 Dodge Dart Sport (406 big block, aluminum 4-speed, 8.75" rear w/3.91 gears)

Comment

Yo Daniel-

Thanks again for the CZT goodies... I still haven't finished the bottom end, so the heads are just sitting in my storage unit along with hundreds of other parts... I will get it all put together soon, very soon, but for now I'm still working on the bottom end...

Anyway, I will of course be posting a lot more on everything when the rebuild actually starts happening...

Comment

Working...
                                X