Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paint prep- no longer paint prep! come take a look!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint prep- no longer paint prep! come take a look!

its official, i decided while at work tonight, that tomorrow im going to paint my rims gunmetal. i know this question has been asked a hundred times but no one has really given an answer that i felt was satisfactory. what do i need to do to prep the wheels for the paint? just get a degreeser and clean them with that and thats it? isnt there more to it than that?

I imagine you'd want to primer it first. Im pretty sure the same type of primer used for car paint would work. Abraising the surface with degreaser or abraisive would probably help too of course to clean it off.. or use a SOS pad maybe.
    Jon, 2006 CGM GTO <<MOD LIST>> <<FQUICK>> <<CARDOMAIN>> <<CURRENT XHAUST VID>> <<MORE XHAUST VIDS>>
    The Daily Driver: 2006 Hyundai Sonata...234WhoppingHP
    RIP: 1999 Mustang GT 5-spd GONE: 90 Probe LX

Comment

can anyone else help? i dont really want to scratch up the rim to prep it, because if i decide i dont like the paint i want to be able to remove it and have a nice rim underneath...

Comment

well ive done 1 wheel. so far it looks REALLY GOOD!! i went to kragen to get some gunmetal paint, as i was about to buy it i noticed a paint that was made specifically for painting wheels so i went ahead and got that instead, the color wasnt gunmetal but it was pretty damn close. kris like!

Comment

LOL, I just did this to my car today.

I got a flat the other day, which I got by running over a key yes that's right a regular deadbolt style key that was lying in the road.

Well anyways I took off the tire and had it in the garage so I could plug it. Well I have this problem that when i take off something from my car I just have to mess with it. So I started sanding then priming and then before I new it I was painting my rim. I had this paint lying around and it came out damn close to gunmetal. I though it looked good so this morning I woke up went to the parts store and got some paint, then got home jacked up the car and as of now I have all my rims done the same way.

I like it :smile:
          '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
          '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

send a pic my way please!
            93ProbeSE,custom tails,custom grill,painted interior,rims,clear corners,metallic tint,bonzai exhaust, custom cold air intake,3 ten JL audio 750 rockford fosgate amp.

Comment

yah send me a pic too
              "You hook me up I hook you up we all save some f@U$kin money" HONDAS SUCK

Comment

Working...
              X