Clear All

• Cruise Control Install

Thanks to SUpitch15--

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/eduelfer/cruise/cruise.html
    Eric
    96 Miata M
    We're all still learning...

SUpitch15--

I know that with my system, the signal is drawn directly from the tachometer, so there was a setting on the servo that would limit the RPMs. The problem was that the setting was too low and would let me set it above 2,750 RPMs. That problem was easily solved by setting the PPM(pulses per minute) to 8,000 (see site for more info)

The system is designed to make sure that you don't damage your engine by setting the cruise at high RPMs. I am not sure of the limit of my cruise as of right now. I don't need it any higher than about 3,250 (approx. 75MPH) I would imagine that's the same thing that's happening with the stock system.

I hope I haven't confused anyone

Be safe!
    Eric
    96 Miata M

Comment

Wim9516V--

Mmm, your cruise control is limited by your tachometer. Mine only by the VSS sensor, so it only sets the throttle to get up to a certain speed. Minium speed is 40 km/h or about 25 mph.

As I have a manual gearbox, I got set my speed when on the highway, and then push resume when I am in second gear. So what happens is that the car will try to reach let's say 75 mph in second gear. But as you have a rev limiter on the engine, this won't blow up your engine. But I tried it once, and indeed it tries to get up there. But this is really abuse of cc, because otherwise you wouldn't never see this happen.

As you limit on the tachometer, you can't have this, but also this means that you cannot hold the same speed in different gears, because you check the tachometer. Or do you check both. If you have an ATX this also might give some strange behaviour, because it shifts as well, be it automatic.
      Eric
      96 Miata M

Comment

SUpitch15--

With this system, I could have used the VSS or the tachometer. I chose to use the tachometer because of easier access to the wire. However, if I would have used the VSS, it would have used the tach as a limiter.

I have an MTX, so when I'm driving down the highway, the cruise will disengage if I depress the clutch. I could set the cruise at 15 MPH if I really wanted to, because the system is in no way using a signal from the speedometer. It only uses the tach signal, so it will keep it at that RPM no matter what gear I'm in.

If I was at 75 MPH and dropped into second gear(which would kick the cruise off) and pressed the "resume" button, I'm sure mine would try to get there until it reached the limiting level. I'm not sure what it is in my car, because I don't really have a place that I can test it

So, I'm hoping I answered your questions....if not, let me know! Basically, I use only the tach signal, but you can use the VSS signal with this system. The main reason that I didn't is because there are 2 VSS wires, and I wasn't sure which to use. I figured that if the tach signal works just as well I might as well save myself the hassle.
        Eric
        96 Miata M

Comment

Working...
        X