Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodridge SS Brake Lines - Safety Issue, Please read!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braided brake lines often fail because dirt accumulates inside the braid. Because its trapped inside the braid, this dirt rubs against the actual brake hose eventually wearing it out.

I'm told that braided lines should have a layer of shrink wrap tubing applied over them to keep this dirt out.

Comment

It's plausible, but if that's the case then Goodridge among others should make the protective wrap standard on all their hoses. In any case, they need to do the homework and decide what's appropriate for the safety of the consumer.

Andy
      96PGT Laser red, tan leather, 5spd, 140k+ on the clock and still looks awesome! Fidanza flywheel, CM Stage I, RR SS Clutch Line, RR Poly inserts, KYB GR2s, Eibach, Cross drilled Zinc washed rotors, SS lines, KVR pads. Chrome Plated 17" Enkei RP05s, Dunlop SP Sport A2s, Borla. Daily driver & keeping the 10 second stang out of poor MI weather.

Comment

This is what I was told by an OEM engineer who knows brakes:

SS braided Teflon brake lines were originally intended for use in high temperature areas only, like under the hood. They are not inteneded to be used in any application that flexes the hose.

Normal OEM brake hose is tested for many requirements. One of which is that they must withstand a minimum burst pressure of 7,500 psi. Another is flexibility. Others are expansion/contraction, aging, and water resistance.

Comment

SS braided Teflon brake lines were originally intended for use in high temperature areas only, like under the hood. They are not intended to be used in any application that flexes the hose.

Makes sense to me, but then who's ingenious idea was it to market them in wheel well applications? I can see how constant tugging would fatigue the Teflon hose and I'd expect a bit of this to occur on the front wheels during steering maneuvers. But, we're talking about a wheel that doesn't turn in the rear.

they must withstand a minimum burst pressure of 7,500 psi.

Very interesting...Goodridge claims that there hoses are tested to 3000psi. Maybe there are instances in which the OEM system exceeds 3000psi. This could be the problem.

Normal OEM brake hose is tested for many requirements. One of which is that they must withstand a minimum burst pressure of 7,500 psi. Another is flexibility. Others are expansion/contraction, aging, and water resistance.

FWIW, I'm a cooling system engineer for the blue oval. I also have experience with hydraulic fluid lines (trans lines), but not brake lines. Burst pressure is a key verification test for hoses as are combined pressure-vibration-temperature, impulse, and heat aging (i.e., expansion/contraction). I'd hope that Goodrige would consider all these in the development of their products.
          96PGT Laser red, tan leather, 5spd, 140k+ on the clock and still looks awesome! Fidanza flywheel, CM Stage I, RR SS Clutch Line, RR Poly inserts, KYB GR2s, Eibach, Cross drilled Zinc washed rotors, SS lines, KVR pads. Chrome Plated 17" Enkei RP05s, Dunlop SP Sport A2s, Borla. Daily driver & keeping the 10 second stang out of poor MI weather.

Comment

So it sounds like the problem might be with any SS braided brake line? Anyone have some that work well? What does Rafi sell? Just curious b/c I was thinking about the upgrade with new pads/rotors (Rafi's package). I have the SS clutch line and haven't had any problems so far.
            '95 MX-6 LS, 5-speed, Ram air intake, Pacesetter cat-back, Tokiko Illumina struts/springs, front/rear strut tower bars, CM stage I, SS clutch line, MX3 lightened flywheel, RR Racing motor mounts and shifter bushing, polyurethane CA bushings, UOR pulley, B&M shifter, KVR rotors/pads, PTRASB, I wish I had headers...

Comment

I have had SS Goodridge on my car for about 4 years. I have had no problems with mine so far. I abuse the car autocrossing too. First off glad your ok and thanks for the heads up....I'll be putting new rear struts (Blown Illumina) here in the next week and I'll check mine out real good. I don't think it was an install problem either.....I use wilwood hi temp break fluid.

The heat shrink stuff...you get that from CorkSport? Rather be safe than sorry!

Jake
              Old Prober!!! Woot

Comment

Reading this keeps me from getting the Goodridge for my bike.
                RIP: Electric Blue '95 GT ZE RIP: Black '93 GT
                Currently rollin' 7.3L of TURBO POWA!!!!

Comment

I am not flaming here or trying to start a flame war or argument, but I dont see this as being a big problem with Goodridge.. I mean, what would you have done if this was a stock line that burst? You wouldn't run to Ford to complain.... Now if it was a faulty line do to manufacturing then more power to you and you should receive a new line, but if it was for use, then just go buy some new ones. Just have to find a way to prove it was a faulty line and I see you are on a path trying to.
                  I have run SS brake lines on my offroad vehicles for years without problems with lines bursting. I have ripped a few of from ice chucks and trial debris but never had one burst... There are alot of mfg's out there producing SS lines and you dont hear of many bursting, especially in the Probe community. I think you are the 1st that I have seen, but then again I haven't been looking.

Keep us posted on your findings on whether or not you can prove it was a faulty line. Also, let us know how Goodridge is handling your situation! Good Luck!
                  Mike
                  94 PGT w/mods...

Comment

if you guys would route the rears the right way you wouldn't have these problems !!!

show me some pictures of how you have them routed!
                    2004 EDGE reg cab oxford white

Comment

Originally posted by mark
                      .....show me some pictures of how you have them routed!
                      ditto
                      My car - another fully functioning OBD-II ZE.

What the hell is Lomo?

Comment

Well I just received my Goodridge lines from Rafi and here is some interesting things that the package says:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE
                        The brake lines contained in this package have been designed to fit an unmodified(stock) vehicle exactly matching the description in our application guide. DO NOT Insatll these brake lines to a vehicle that has undergone any modifications in its suspension, brake system or wheel size from its original stock configuration-this will void any written or implied Goodridge warranty and may cause brake line failure."

There is also a piece of paper included in the package that reads (clipped a part out):

"D.O.T. certified brake lines have been pressure tested to 3000psi, and are warrantied against manufacturer defects to the original purchaser. Goodridge(USA) Inc. shall no be held liable for any damage to persons or property resulting from the use or sale of this product."
                        Mike
                        94 PGT w/mods...

Comment

sorry to hear that I've had mine for 4 years now and they are still great I would still rather have 2 good years with goodridge then crapy stock replacement lines. Can you say, "Spongy"?.......

i knew you could

Comment

Working...
                          X