Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > General > Probe Lounge

Probe Lounge Discussion about most everything Non Probe related goes here.

Old March 28th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #1
L|qUiD
Now More Than Ever

Another Earthquake in Indonesia

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_weax.html

Magnitude 8.2 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
L|qUiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #2
f2tlover
Donating User

WOW, cnn.com says this is likely to cause another very destructive Tsunami. Poor indonesians can't get a break, I hope they had more warning this time!!!!
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Courtice6er
PT Semitic God

Thats terrible.

I hope this time they get away from the coast as fast as possible.
Courtice6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #4
noclss2000
POC Mod

wow, 8.7, that's some major shakes.
that country's gonna be wiped out by the time it's done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PhotoPOC
DaddyPOC
1997 Ford Probe GT MTX, 2009 Mazda6i MTX, 2007 Jeep Commander 4x4
noclss2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #5
lakersfan1
Balls Across The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tlover
Poor indonesians can't get a break, I hope they had more warning this time!!!!
They told them last week another big one was going to happen. I'd think that's ample warning. And hopefully, the people have the common sense to run the next time the shoreline gets sucked 150 feet away.

Last edited by lakersfan1; March 28th, 2005 at 02:44 PM.
lakersfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #6
groghscv
PT Demi God

This kind of crap is just going to get more and more repetative. The earth goes through cycles because as a planet starts out its consantly getting closer to sel destruction. The natural causes of the atmosphere deteriorating and all the other bad crap that we do to the planet just makes these national disasster type stuff more likely to happen. The weather gets worse all the time. When I was little I remember it snowing from november all the way thru March and we never saw the grass until spring time. Every year it gets warmer and we have more earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions. Things are changing at a VERY slow rate but its still noticable. Man I sound like a weather nerd, guess I cant hide it heh. Anyway yes its not surprising they had another one since the plates are shifting and moving this often. Anyday now san fran is gonna fall into the ocean hehe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
groghscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #7
lakersfan1
Balls Across The Nose

What the hell just happened? Did we just get our annual speech from our Greenpeace representative? I thought yesterday was Easter, not Arbor Day.
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #8
mazda_0wnz_j00
PT Regular

terrible news.

btw, did anyone elses' eyes go crosseyed from looking at the top banner (blue and red) of that website? jeez.

-1993 Mazda MX6 RS. Daily driver. (ATX = boo...hiss)
mazda_0wnz_j00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #9
Adrag10
PT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by groghscv
This kind of crap is just going to get more and more repetative. The earth goes through cycles because as a planet starts out its consantly getting closer to sel destruction. The natural causes of the atmosphere deteriorating and all the other bad crap that we do to the planet just makes these national disasster type stuff more likely to happen. The weather gets worse all the time. When I was little I remember it snowing from november all the way thru March and we never saw the grass until spring time. Every year it gets warmer and we have more earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions. Things are changing at a VERY slow rate but its still noticable. Man I sound like a weather nerd, guess I cant hide it heh. Anyway yes its not surprising they had another one since the plates are shifting and moving this often. Anyday now san fran is gonna fall into the ocean hehe.
Since we're making completely clueless, wild, assertions, I'm gonna play too. I think it was the Chinese. A secret message went out to the entire population that at a certain time, everybody in the country was to jump up and down at the same time. The effect of over 1 billion people jumping and landing at the same time is what caused the earthquake. They caused the tsunamis also. They were trying to target the US with the quake, but they keep missing. But just wait, their timing will improve. With less than 300 million people, we have no chance of retaliating. Although we have obesity on our side, only half our population is of the proper "jumping age". We're screwed guys, San Fran is soooo falling off into the ocean.

Alin
Adrag10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #10
*FlaProbeSE*
PT Know it All

We didn't have more hurricanes ... we just had more landfalling, catastrophic hurricanes.
Anyway, that's really unfortunate. That's a big quake!
- 2004 Dodge SRT-4
FlaPOC - Honorary NPA!

- MM7's Best Rolling Wreck
*FlaProbeSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #11
pHeLiOs27
PT Master

Wow, the earth really kicks our asses when it wants to.

1997 F-250HD 7.5 (sold)
2010 Nissan ArmaaahhhDaaah 4x4 SE w/ limited slip
1995 Mazda 626 ES 5spd (SOLD). 1999 LEXUS RX300 AWD
pHeLiOs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #12
DJ-Anakin
pantless jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by groghscv
dude. what the hell are you talking about? the earthis no where near self destruction [as long as something doesn't trigger it]. it still has several billion years left. natural cycles? yes. and yes, that is what is causing the planet to warm. sure, we're not helping, but we're certainly not the *main* cause of the planet getting warmer. it's a natural cycle.

one thing i think is funny, is if something like this were to happen in the US, all the crazy raghead extremists would be all praising allah for punishing us for being sinners blah blah blah, but, how do they explain something like this? these 2 huge earthquakes in [correct me if i'm wrong] larely muslim area's. not implying that this has anything to do with it, but they [terrorist assholes] would if it hit the US.
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #13
xTSTONEx
Turbo Member

Who gives a shit about Indonesia??? I don't.
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #14
emdshiznette
Turbo Member

Quote:
originally posted by xTSTONEx
that's nice. well then go and find something you do care about instead of making rude, insensitive comments like that. TONS of people have lost their lives over there, and it's a hundred times worse for the survivors to pull their butts out and get back on their feet than it is for us over here in the U.S. because they're so much less wealthy/fortunate than us.

my prayers go out to those people. if there is a tsunami, hopefully the warning will have been enough for them. i can't stand the thought of another tragedy happening to them in so short a time.
And if I swallow anything evil, put your finger down my throat.
And if I shiver, please give me a blanket; keep me warm, let me wear your coat."
emdshiznette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #15
MossAngel

I can't stand the thought that we're all sitting here comfortably reading about this (or adding our prayers to the tens of millions of prayers already being sent out) when we might be helping these people some other way. If you really want something to be done, don't just pray and rely on God to do it for you, because that's not only lazy, it's putting a hell of a lot of faith into an entity who (if He/She) exists has a lot to answer already.

Go out and volunteer. Send in money or a care package. Donate blood if it's needed. Do something to support the people who need it, don't just ignore their plight by saying "I'll pray for them" or "I'm so sorry this happened." If I could I'd be on a plane over there to help out.

Oh. And why are we focusing on Indonesia again? There are still people in the US who can't afford to fill the three most basic human needs - food, shelter and clothing - in a manner considered "appropriate" to most of us. There are still others who are uncounted (check the US Census bureau's list of people they can't count income for) and some who are living above the government-defined poverty level but may not have what anyone would call a comfortable life.

if we're so worried about helping people we may as well start with our neighbors. I'm sure everyone can think of that one kid in school who got new clothes from the school nurse and didn't have a computer. The one who rode his bike to school because his parents couldn't afford to fix the car... meh.

I'm sorry, you got me started. I'll shut up with the over-righteous hypocritical bullshit. After all, I'm not helping much either.

"Tell all the truth but tell it slant / Success in circuit lies..." ~ Emily Dickinson
MossAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #16
emdshiznette
Turbo Member

^^^ that's ok, Dawn. and don't get me wrong, if i could, i would donate time and money and everything else. as it is, i'm stuck here in school and broke and obviously can't leave the country anytime soon. but something i can do is donate blood, and i really should. i've only done it once, and i'm O+ so i should definitely do it more often.

*makes resolve to do so as soon as possible* even though it means facing my worst fear...needles. *shudders*
And if I swallow anything evil, put your finger down my throat.
And if I shiver, please give me a blanket; keep me warm, let me wear your coat."
emdshiznette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #17
MossAngel

Oh yeah. And I ranted more in my blog about it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossAngel's blog
I looked up the latest population estimates for the US: Approximately 293.4 million people. Using the 2003 poverty rate (12.5%), the number of poor in America is currently around 36.7 million.

That's a lot of people. If you'd like to check my numbers, the US Census Bureau is where all my information came from.
Yep.

EDIT: Oh, and yay for you, Erin... not everyone can face a fear like that ^_^ good luck!

"Tell all the truth but tell it slant / Success in circuit lies..." ~ Emily Dickinson

Last edited by MossAngel; March 29th, 2005 at 01:24 PM.
MossAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #18
lakersfan1
Balls Across The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTSTONEx
Sure, the women are ugly and all ......... but if there was a tsunami, it could hit Thailand, and Thai chicks are worth saving ... mostly.