Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Photography, Video, Photoshop > Probe Pic & Video Post

Probe Pic & Video Post Post your PROBE-RELATED pics and Videos here!

Old October 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #1
funzie
Supercharged Member

HOWTO: Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement

Well after running around with a clanking noise every time I run ove a bump, not to mention not being able to align the car and having my steering wheel jerked about at randon. I decided to get some bushings. My passenger side was completely busted. After searching for a bit I found the SuperPro bushings, I only installed the front ones which are part # SPF1843K which are ~$50 plus shipping. They also make rear control arm bushings, but I didn't get those because they were $100 plus shipping. There are 3 models for the rear bushings, regular caster, positive caster, and negative caster. You probably can figure out what is the difference between them.

This is the packaging:

What they look out of the package:

If you are wondering how the hell I got the stock bushings out, well there are two solutions. 1.) Burning them off, but the smell of burn rubber and the risk of damaging something with the torch isn't to appealing to me. 2.) I decided to put my engineering degree to the test and made my own little tool. Its basically a threaded rod, you pass it through the hole on the bushing and put a nut and washer on the end. On the other end slide over a peice of pipe bigger than the bushing. I used a 2.5" diameter, about 6" long pipe, I then got a flat peice of steel and drilled a hole through it and put another not. Now to remove the bushing just turn the nut and after a few minutes you will have witness the birth of a stock control arm bushing. Below is a pic of my tool.... well my tool is bigger than that, let me clarify, the tool I made to remove the control arm bushing.

The tool installed removing the bushing, for another angle:

Stock bushing removed:

New bushings greased and installed:

Installed and bolted on:

Another view

The other side I had to hammer the bushing out because it came apart since it was broken.

Questions...?

Just for shitz and gigglez, me tearing it up at ZoomZoomLive last weekend.

$mycar = driving(FALSE, TRUE);
function driving($filter, $turbo) { if(!$filter && $turbo) { return TRUE; } else { return FALSE; } }

Last edited by funzie; October 21st, 2005 at 07:42 AM.
funzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #2
KM_heisler
Donating Member

I remember last year I had to do that I had my car on my hoist for it's bi-weekly oil change and checked for play and noticed that the front of my wheel moved left and right like a good 1-1.5 inches.... I torched mine out and then I forget what I used to press it in.

90 JDM Fairlady Z , twin turbo lots of stuff done already but not enough space in the sig
KM_heisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #3
funzie
Supercharged Member

To put the front ones in you just push them in with your hands, the rear ones would be trickier.

function driving($filter, $turbo) { if(!$filter && $turbo) { return TRUE; } else { return FALSE; } }
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #4
KM_heisler
Donating Member

I had to press mine in and mine looked pretty different.. then again mine was from mazda (around 20 bucks canadian my cost) so I dont know but I remember when I did it it wasnt a crazy amount of force needed like a c clamp did it with a piece of wood it was pretty simple. It was the first small repair I had to do on the car before that I replaced everything else so I was happy to have a little piece wear out

90 JDM Fairlady Z , twin turbo lots of stuff done already but not enough space in the sig

Last edited by KM_heisler; October 19th, 2005 at 08:58 PM.
KM_heisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #5
funzie
Supercharged Member

Oh, ok, I didn't know you were talking about stock ones, yes those you would need to press in, probably the reverse of how I took mine out.

Old October 19th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #6
knb13
PT Guru

those are poly ones right?
'02 Red/Black Honda CBR 600 F4i... some go fast goodies
knb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #7
funzie
Supercharged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knb13
those are poly ones right?
That is correct.

Old October 20th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #8
baaka
PT Regular

Yo funzie. Where'd you order them from? I found one website, but they're out of stock. Also, has anyone ever resolved the superpro problems that they were having like a year ago? I'm about to buy these, but not if they'll just screw up.
baaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:49 AM   #9
pgt4speed
POC Mod

My control arm bushing was nowhere near one piece when I replaced the control arm.

Nice bushings, I should have done that 2-3 years ago I needed a new balljoint also, so no biggie.

Last edited by pgt4speed; October 21st, 2005 at 06:51 AM.
pgt4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:16 AM   #10
FRCFD6
F/I *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgt4speed
My control arm bushing was nowhere near one piece when I replaced the control arm.

Nice bushings, I should have done that 2-3 years ago I needed a new balljoint also, so no biggie.
when you put a new balljoint in , tack it in place

Pearl '92 Audi //S4 GT3071R, running 27 psi
For PSP Awareness click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FRCFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 11:48 AM   #11
kadamsgt
Search Impaired

Global preformance in Michigan has them listed on thier site. $50 seems to be the going rate.
kadamsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:42 PM   #12
mvaughn1
PT Master

nice writeup and great pictures! Thanks for the contribution and time!

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 14.639 @ 91.54 mph N/A 2.025 60' - 2605 lbs
CS Lip ll Megasquirt ll ZE-IM ll Hotshot Headers ll PRM CAI ll Illuminas/Intrax ll 6 puck/MX3 FW ll RR Shifter ll 19" Giovanna Kobell Black Roof ll Black Leather
93 PGT-ZE - 14.433 @ 96.06mph N/A 2.159 60' - street tires - 2555lbs
ZEX ll Seli Cams ll Walbro ll Fidanza/DXD ll Addco ll PS Headers ll 65mm TB ll PRM CAI ll Blues and GC's ll MX6 Black Leather
mvaughn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #13
sparrow_34

Thanks for the great write up and pics. The 'tool' you gave instructions for making worked bloody well.

Saved me a few bucks.

sparrow_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #14
ouch1011
Donating Member

Hmm, I may have to do this when my car is sitting without an engine.

What solutions do we have for the rear-most front control arm bushing? The one that is in its own housing and bolts to the body and the control arm?

ouch1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #15
funzie
Supercharged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouch1011
What solutions do we have for the rear-most front control arm bushing? The one that is in its own housing and bolts to the body and the control arm?
That would be the caster, they also sell that one. With different types of caster too, +/- and stock.

Old November 28th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #16
ouch1011
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funzie
That would be the caster, they also sell that one. With different types of caster too, +/- and stock.
I am unsure how this bushing would affect the caster...

I will take a picture of the one I'm talking about tomorrow, just so I can make sure we are on the same page.

EDIT: OK, this isn't on the car, but hopefully you can figure it out. This is the REAR bushing on the FRONT control arm...

Last edited by ouch1011; November 28th, 2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old November 28th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #17
funzie
Supercharged Member

Yes, that would be this one:

And according to them, this one increases camber:

And this one decreases it:

Old November 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #18
ouch1011
Donating Member

Gotcha, thanks...

I think I'll add these to the "to buy" list

Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:15 PM   #19
danieldepetro
Five Star Member

Nice thread! I was going to just replace my front lower control arm bushing as I already have the urethane ones awaiting installation, however now I guess I'll order urethane rear LCA bushing as well...

Last edited by danieldepetro; April 22nd, 2006 at 05:40 PM.
danieldepetro is offline   Reply With Quote