Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > Racing/Suspension

Racing/Suspension Drag Racing, AutoX, Road Racing and Suspension.

Old May 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #1
PGT97_Racer

Bolt-on Big brake kit

Mazda6 bolt-on “Big Brake Kit”

If your looking to upgrade your front brakes but don’t want to have to dish out 800$ or more for a kit, there is an easier solution.

The Mazda6 front calipers are a direct bolt-on to the Probe/MX-6/626. That is right, a DIRECT BOLT-ON!! There are no modifications required to install this setup on your vehicle. Just to clarify one little aspect, although you will be running larger rotors, the caliper itself is still a single piston setup, unlike some kits that offer dual pistons (or more). But for the price (more than half) it is worth it.

Every model of Mazda6 front brakes fit our vehicles, if doing this setup; you must be consistent with the year model you are using. So if you by calipers for a specific model, you must buy the matching rotors and pads. Parts are not interchangeable between models. Here are the specifications of the different models and what wheel diameter is required for them to fit:
Disc diameter:
03-05 Mazda 6 => 11.1" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
06-07 Mazda 6 => 11.8" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
06-07 MazdaSpeed 6 => 12.6" => Must have a 17" wheel minimum

Parts you will need in order to complete the swap:
-Front Calipers (make sure it comes with the bracket as some times they are sold without)
-Front Rotors
-Set of Pads

The price for the parts varies on where you buy them, I personally spent around 300$ (including shipping) for my setup. This includes 03-05 Calipers, R1concept Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads.

As for the rear brakes, the rotors are also larger in diameter versus our stock rotors and the rear calipers will bolt-up to the hub as well. The problem is that the E-Brake cable will not reach the bracket on the caliper, so you will not be able to use your E-Brake.

Here is a list of other vehicles that use the same brakes as the Mazda6:
2006-2008 Ford Fusion
2007-2008 Lincoln MKZ
2006-2006 Lincoln Zephyr
2006-2008 Mercury Milan

Here are pictures of a 2006-2007 setup:

Stock:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5340.jpg

Comparaison:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5342.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5343.jpg

Installed:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5347.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5348.jpg

Enjoy your bigger brakes!

Thanks to:
MetalPGT for the specs
94pgt94 for the detail pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PGT97_Racer; June 16th, 2009 at 04:40 AM.
PGT97_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
2ndgengt

thats good to know- only down side is the single piston caliper
Mods -
, Probinator chip, Bomz cai, 2.5
catback, 2.5 custom tp, ACT, Fidanza, ss line, ssac headers, poly inserts, Intrax, illuminas, cusco camber plates
de-t coming soon'ish
zoom-zoom to the max
2ndgengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #3
MonoxideChild
POC Mod

this was mentioned awhile ago actually. someone installed a BBK offered for the mazda6 on the probe, and it bolted right up, no mod's needed.

~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~
MonoxideChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #4
PGT97_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmonoxidechil View Post
this was mentioned awhile ago actually. someone installed a BBK offered for the mazda6 on the probe, and it bolted right up, no mod's needed.
That is quite possible. But i am sure that a larger rim is required, i only have 16" rims. So this is a fairly good upgrade and consideraly cheap to. Total parts came to around 300$ (Calipers, pads, rotors)

KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
gw93pgt
Juiced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT97_Racer View Post
That is quite possible. But i am sure that a larger rim is required, i only have 16" rims. So this is a fairly good upgrade and consideraly cheap to. Total parts came to around 300$ (Calipers, pads, rotors)
So will the set-up you did from the mazda6 fit with 16" rims? Also how many pistons is the protege brake upgrade for the probe? What would be better? Protege or Mazda6?
gw93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #6
MonoxideChild
POC Mod

both are single piston, both might even be the exact same, no one has compared them yet.

and 16's would fit, being that the steelie rims on the 6's are 16's, so they would have to fit. depending on back spacing of course. but thats with any brake kit.

Old May 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Pumpkin King
Donating Member

Quote:
Total parts came to around 300$ (Calipers, pads, rotors)
Is that new or jy price? and did you check about the rear?
95 GT,Gumetal, 96 harness swap w/ kll5 maf swap, UR UDP, MX-3 Fl,Razor hood, ,STS, CM stage 3, Dodge stealth quad lights
93 GT Work in Progress.. black 17's, egay coilovers, rear seat delete, 0g batt relocate, headers, bare bones engine bay, no ac, no cruise, manual steering, HID celica headlights, lambo doors, remote start, suicide hood, g35 dual muffler, sensei kitted..
Pumpkin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #8
MonoxideChild
POC Mod

cityracer is running the rear mazda6 disc's on his mazdaspeed protege calipers.

i think he said the calipers on the 6 might be the same ones. but im not 100% sure on that last part. u would have to ask him

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #9
David Halbleib
POC Mod

Question

Anyone know what it would take to moddify these to fit a 1st gen? <hint> Pat </hint>
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #10
MonoxideChild
POC Mod

eric (mazdameister) bolted up a set of hy-dra-cyl 2nd gen BBK onto his 1st gen mx6gt. so he would be the person to ask about anything he had to modify. but if i remember right, it was a bolt on affair.

personally, ive never tried it. im looking at oem 4 pot mazda fc calipers to mod up on my 626gt

Old May 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #11
David Halbleib
POC Mod

Excellent! I hope to see him this weekend at BAMM, I'll ask him.

I totally forgot about the hy-dra-cyl fitment. D'oh!
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #12
PGT97_Racer

The 6 calipers do fit in the rear, but you'll loose the e-brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
Is that new or jy price? and did you check about the rear?
Calipers are used (got them for 80$) from a mazda forum and the rest is new.

Last edited by PGT97_Racer; May 15th, 2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #13
Staats
Supercharged Member

Do you have a pic of the new set up? I'd like to see how much more rotor size you gain.

- Installed: CAI, VIS CF Invader hood, OBX headers, Res. T.P., Borla Catback, Civic STS, Brembo X-drilled/slotted disks w/PBR ceramic, '01 626 rear sway bar, MX3 Flywheel, Enkei TBS11s w/Kumho Ecsta SPT's, F & R strut ties, 96+ Tails.

MMX Winner: Best in Class Show Room
Staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #14
Dima
BATN, but also known as:
TheDimon

wow this is awesome, i'm so doing this
Dima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #15
PGT97_Racer

I'll have pics tomorrow, i don't have before pics to compare though.

Old May 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #16
bocajwest05
Donating Member

so i looked the parts up on napa online and iwonder is this for the i or s model and also do you need to modify the brak lines at all or the rotors do they fit over the hub with out having to bore them out at all like with the 12.1 VR4 rotors

03 SVT Focus
bocajwest05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #17
blackpgt1994
North North American Mod

Quote:
I'll have pics tomorrow, i don't have before pics to compare though.
Would this be with your FD's on?
Cause i'm very interested in this. Nice work

93 Black probe (K-sporting)

blackpgt1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #18
PGT97_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocajwest05 View Post
so i looked the parts up on napa online and iwonder is this for the i or s model and also do you need to modify the brak lines at all or the rotors do they fit over the hub with out having to bore them out at all like with the 12.1 VR4 rotors
The Calipers between '03 to '05 are the same regardless of the model. As for the rest, like I mentionned above, this is a BOLT-ON kit, NO MODIFICATIONS are needed for them to work. No cutting, no brackets to be fabed-up, no boring of the hub, no change in brake lines, no nothing!!

Old May 16th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #19
driftwood
Donating Member

Quote:
I just finished putting on a big brake kit from another car that is a direct bolt-on to the Probes. Slighty larger front calipers and an 11.1" rotor. The caliper itself is still a single piston however. I should be able to test the new system later today or tomorrow.

I am sure you are wondering what did I use. The setup came from a 2003-2005 Mazda6. There is absolutely NO MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED.
how much larger is 11.1" compared to stock pgt size?

cant wait to see pics!

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #20
David Halbleib
POC Mod

I believe stock front rotor diameter for 1st gens are 10.6" and it's 10.4" for 2nd gens.

So 11.1" would definitely be a noticeable difference.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #21
PGT97_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpgt1994 View Post
Would this be with your FD's on?
Cause i'm very interested in this. Nice work
Yes this is with the FD's and there aren't any clearance issues.

Old May 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #22
bocajwest05
Donating Member

awesome, i have a new project for the summer then

03 SVT Focus
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #23
MonoxideChild
POC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocajwest05 View Post
so i looked the parts up on napa online and iwonder is this for the i or s model
there is no difference. just like there is no difference with the probes if you have a 4 cyl, or v6 or turbo (unless you have crappy drums in the rear of course)

Last edited by MonoxideChild; May 16th, 2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #24
bocajwest05
Donating Member

sweet i wasnt sure. because i went to napaonline and they asked me to specify there so i want sure but i see you have a six so i trust that and this will definately be a summer project for me to compliment the sus. upgrades

03 SVT Focus
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #25
gw93pgt
Juiced Member

So would it be logical to do the mazda 6 rotors, calipers, pads on the front and then go to the 99-03 protege calipers, rotors and pads on the back to keep the e-brake?
gw93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote