Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old July 21st, 2014, 06:57 AM   #1
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

94 gt maf swapped map sensor

ecu i am told is a 97 millie
car has a hard time starting, everytime i have to give it gas to start and then hold an idle
my buddy came over with this super expensive snap on obd 2 scanner, hooked it up
He said i need the map sensor, the ecu thinks it is below seal level and thats why she is starting like that
something about the start up f/a mixture is wrong and car cant adjust it without map sensor
he siad the ecu must have come from somewhere below sea level to be stuck like that
Anybody heard of this, is it even possible?? it does sound possible.
if i swap back to vaf and stock ecu, she starts right up, no problems, no gas pedal needed
ALso does anyone have a part # for the map sensor. Rock auto dont show one and napa dont see it in there system???
DougieFBabY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:19 PM   #2
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

Anybody? Has anyone ever encountered same problem wit their Maf swapped probe? Could
Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:09 PM   #3
godfrey96
Slow Learner

Jea7.. Also used on ford aspire
godfrey96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:35 PM   #4
SBPGT
Five Star Member

Maybe you have the MAF wires hooked up wrong?

I think someone pasted the MAF swap write-up was showing the wiring from the connector not the MAF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Mazda 626 ES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SBPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:17 AM   #5
MikaNL

Is there even a manifold absolute pressure sensor? I thought these ecu's do all the calculations by using mass airflow combined with temperature?

Anyhow, resetting the ECU should remove any previous settings. If there's still something wrong then yes, sensor replacement time (or wire check time as SBPGT suggested)
MikaNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:18 AM   #6
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

It is wired up properly. Car drives fine, pulls past four grand. Is there another way to reset it?, besides disconnecting the battery.

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

From what I know the map sensor is on the Milenias so when you Maf swap a probe you don't have the map unless you install it

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

Yes there is a map sensor it is a three wire sensor that has a vacum line that has to be hooked up to a vacuum on the manifold, my buddy found it on rock auto, I was looking under wrong section. It is under air slash fuel on rockauto
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:49 AM   #7
dammitcam
Donating User

someone needs to talk to skippy
1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck
, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come

Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp
dammitcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:50 AM   #8
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

Dammitcam ?????? Skippy what, who, when, where, and how!?!?!?
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:36 PM   #9
MonoxideChild
POC Mod

It throws a MAP code as the Milly uses a 4 wire i believe compared to our car which has a 3 wire. But it still runs just fine without any issues just running our stock one. It just tosses a code. But thats not your issue. Well unless your original stock Map might be faulty. Im betting your wiring is wrong, or you have a vac leak.

~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~
MonoxideChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #10
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

tha car is a 94 obd 1, i do not think it has a map sensor, or it is part of the vaf???(i thought) but vaf does not matter as she is maf swapped, and the maf system does not include the map sensor, it is a seperate of maf stuff.
wiring is correct, i have tripled checked, car runs fines besides the start up issue, and revs past four grand
and there are no vacuum lines, all are deleted and sensors capped off
only codes i am throwing are for the auto trans
if i swap back to stock ecu and vaf car starts no problems

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

i have also tried reseting the ecu, every single way possible:
brake pedal method, undo battery ground, undo battery positive, undo both,unplug ecu from harness, even tried sweet talking and dirty talking and life threating, tried smashing stuff while i had the ecu out of car watching me(LOL), none has helped
i have ordered a map sensor
from my research a 97 mazda millie uses a three wire map sensor,
i will wire this in and see what happens and let you guys know

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

heres my thoughts right.
if map sensor helps wit fuel air mixture at start up,
my boy says it is flooding the car wit fuel,
if the ecu came from a place below sea level, then reseting the ecu will just reset it back to below sea level, NO!!!????
without the map sensor to tell it to adjust, then it will always start up and say ,
"oh im below sea level"
right or no???!!??
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #11
MikaNL

No... ECU's are configured using settings so they can function in a wide variety of environments with a wide variety of possible fuel types. When something is off or when the ECU is first started after clearing all learned settings it will default to a safe map and will start learning from there what the optimal settings are. I've never ever heard of altitude being an issue after clearing ECU settings.

What does influence fuel air mixture at startup is your fuel pressure solenoid. However that one should throw a code if it's faulty. You could try bypassing it. Also check if your idle air screw and TPS sensor are setup correctly. However I'm betting on incorrect wiring being the issue after all.

Mind you this link is FS only but I can't imagine the principle being much different from the KL:
http://mazda626.net/topic/41670-meet...lator-control/

Last edited by MikaNL; July 24th, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #12
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

fuel pressure solenoid is good, no code. tried by passing, same thing happens. idle screw and tps are set perfectly, i have recheck those so many times i have nightmares about it LOL
also for the thrid time in this post WIRING IS CORRECT
car rides fine besides the start up, and revs past four grand
i also have nightmares about this wiring because i have checked it 9000 times LOL
again if i swap back to xtreme things ecu or stock ecu wit vaf, she fires right up
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #13
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

when i switch back to vaf and she fires right up, its amking me think problem is the ecu or in the adpater harness, if it was in the car side of the harness, problem would always be there
this problem only occurs wit maf swap
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #14
gudziunas
Donating Member

could you please open up the milly ecu and take a good quality close up photo of the inside content, then i'll be able to tell if you have a BARO sensor

- done & rolling

- SOLD
gudziunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #15
pile_of_rd1

Did you purchase your kit from me? If need be, you can send me your components of the MAF swap kit and I can test it all for you and let you know what the deal is on my test car.

BTW Im the Skippy that Cam is talkin about lol

Scott
pile_of_rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #16
MikaNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougieFBabY View Post
when i switch back to vaf and she fires right up, its amking me think problem is the ecu or in the adpater harness, if it was in the car side of the harness, problem would always be there
this problem only occurs wit maf swap
Adapter harness is also wiring which you kept stating is good because you checked and doublechecked it.........
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #17
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

I never checked adapter harness because she ran fine for months. This started happening out of the blue!! Now to make matters worse I can't even time the car from disty. Wit Maf installed and I put car in diag mode to try and set timing. Idle jumps from 700 to a 1000 then back down to 700 then back up. Car is def in diag mode cause I can do tps fan trick. In diag mode timing just does what it wants. I don't get it !!!! Lol

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

If I set timing wit stock ecu car rides perfect but then when I swap back timing has changed and car bucks and I can feel timing like catch and go then buck and like catch itself

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Pile of road yes I got adapter harness from you but I got ecu from my boy Cody and it turns out he got the ecu from you lol
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #18
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

Pile of road can u pm me address please I would like to send back so you can look at it please sir. It's got me so heated. Car ran amazing besides the start up issue. And Maf is def. quicker then stock setup.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

I also checked timing on the belt and she is dead on. I have been over the whole motor wit starting fluid, no leaks , and i checked at all different rpm ranges,disty and crank sensor are brand new out of the box, no vac leaks, there is only one vac line from manifold to fuel regulator, line is good

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

This is driving crazy car rode awesome then I took motor out and did converted rack to Manual, put motor back in and boom now these problems lol
Old July 27th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #19
branscoset
Donating User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougieFBabY View Post
This is driving crazy car rode awesome then I took motor out and did converted rack to Manual, put motor back in and boom now these problems lol
I doubt the harness is the problem, if it worked until you pulled the motor and put it back in. Sounds like something is either not connected or a broken wire. Possibly a grounding issue.

Would be interesting to see if the Maf swap and adapter an all work on another probe, or do the same thing. That would be the easiest way for me to test it. Then if that works, you aren't wasting Pile or your time sending it back and having him look it over.

Jus my 2cents.
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #20
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

Another problem is that I do not know anyone wit a 94 probe or a 93. Everyone I know has a 96 or 97
Old July 28th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #21
Bergz0
Supercharged Member

i has a 95
Bergz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #22
DougieFBabY
PT Regular

you live far away my dude lol, but at this point i might have to make a trip up there on the weekend and fiddle wit the car, so someone else can see this crap and reassure me that its,
"not just me"
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #23
Bergz0
Supercharged Member

Yea man. Only an hour and a half give or take
Bergz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #24
94blckpgt

That swap was awesome when I had it.. one day ill get another.. just gotta get this damn car started first. .
97 gt rio red gt...full kl31 ZE swap...2.5" mandrel bent exhaust...SSAC headers...sts...CAI...pheno spacers. ..SS clutch and brake lines...aeromotive fpr...AEM wideband...mx3 flywheel...ACT 6 puck clutch...tokico illuminas...eibach ground control coilovers........
94blckpgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #25
Pieterprobe
Search Impaired

Sorry for bumping an old thread but did you ever figure out what your issue was?