Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:16 AM   #1
klzeprobe

How to check cam sensor wiring

It's a 95 pgtze not starting. No spark.

I've got code 03 which the cam sensor. I have a brand new distributor in it. I just want to know how to test the wiring to make sure it's good. Can someone explain that to me? I can't find anything in the search.

Thanks.

93 pgtze the powerplant of my 95 lives on.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94 pgtze-t Work in progress.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 pgtze DD
63 Pontiac Catalina 389cid stock except for MSD
klzeprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:45 PM   #2
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

Okay, so there's 2 things 93-94 used a cam sensor. 95 didn't use the same cam sensor. There may be a Blue and a Green wire on the distributor that gets the crank pos sensor run through it to pick up a pulse from the cam sensor that is in there. If that wire wasn't good you'd have a crank sensor code though? Maybe someone else can explain it better. Worst case I can look at mine tomorrow in the light.

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 09:18 AM   #3
klzeprobe

Is there a way to test the wire for continuity with a basic multimeter? Just trying to figure out if it's the wiring or if I got a faulty reman disty.

95 pgtze DD
Old July 23rd, 2017, 01:38 PM   #4
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

The crank sensor signal goes through those wires, so if you don't have a crank sensor code the wires should be good. You can get it to run on a 94 disty if you have one... with some wire swapping. If it works then you know that's the problem. Run it on the 94 disty til you get the new part.

Old July 29th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #5
klzeprobe

So I have checked the wires. The three plug has a wire with 12v and the 5pin plug has a 5v and a 12v. Disty is brand new reman. Still no spark. What am I missing?

95 pgtze DD
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #6
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

I've gotten bad reman distributors before. I'd say bring it back to the store you got it from and exchange for a new one.

Old July 30th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #7
Whitefinish
Supercharged Member

Check the relay next to your ecu.
Those are faulty sometimes and also cause no spark.

KLZE highcompression, Pippercros Viper intake, kl31cams, MS1 v3, Aasco fly, CM st3 clutch, cai, ss headers, ground wirekit, srd bushings, msd window switches, nitrous
Whitefinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 05:14 AM   #8
klzeprobe

Which relay is that? I didn't know there was a relay by the ecu. I'll check that and if that doesn't work then exchange the disty.

95 pgtze DD
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #9
klzeprobe

So I ran the tests in the THIRD picture down here: https://mazda626.net/topic/45372-ple...lp-95-hei-mod/. PIN number 2 on the small plug failed. No flicker. Am I supposed to leave the plug installed. I did it unplugged for all tests and everything passed except pin 2.

What should I do?

95 pgtze DD

Last edited by klzeprobe; August 5th, 2017 at 12:37 PM.