Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Photography, Video, Photoshop > Probe Pic & Video Post

Probe Pic & Video Post Post your PROBE-RELATED pics and Videos here!

Old August 5th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Eric351M

1st Engine Swap on Coral Mist Probe GT

It's been a while since I've been on here and a big part of it had to do with my engine finally giving out mid 2014, just before my wedding. Life happens and I didn't have much time to look at the car.
Towards the end of 2015 I acquired an engine that was sold as a ZE but turned out to be a DE. Not a problem since I got it for free, hopefully it runs. I had prepped the engine and stopped at that.

https://forums.probetalk.com/showthr...p?t=1701317852

It's been almost two years since I prepped the engine and there hasn't been much progress. I feel a big part of it was that it was an intimidating task as I have never replaced an engine before. I know have a bit more time to dedicate towards the project and there is now a deadline as my wife and I are expecting a baby.

I have already taken out the engine and trans and just doing some engine bay cleaning while I get some parts.

Also made a list of things that came to mind that needs to be replaced or just things so I don't forget, I know I'll forget about something.

Right now I'm stuck on a couple of things. The first of which is the new engine does not have the oil cooler and the old one does. Is this something I should move over to the new engine? If so am I going to have to take the timing of to access the coolant line that looks like it's hiding behind the timing cover?

I'm hoping to keep this up updated with my progress or any road blocks I encounter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eric351M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 02:00 AM   #2
stoker100
Donating Member

i dont think the newer blocks have the oil cooler coolant lines so it may not be possible, but subscribed to find out.

Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34
Nitrous oxide. - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. Current
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stoker100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #3
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

I believe the lines should be there. I have always used the oil cooler version -as I believe that every little bit helps. And I have used the cooler on newer blocks as well as the older ones. I believe the lines are capped with rubber plugs when no cooler is present. I can't recall at the moment.

I also wrap the oil cooler lines with some fiberglass tape and then put aluminum tape over that to shield the lines from the exhaust. I believe this also helps cool oil -and also extends the rubber hose life expectancy -when exposed to the exhaust heat.

-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; August 6th, 2017 at 08:59 AM.
KLZE Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #4
j-dogg
/p/hotoPOC

Location: pwning the crap out of supersquid in Unreal Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
I believe the lines should be there. I have always used the oil cooler version -as I believe that every little bit helps. And I have used the cooler on newer blocks as well as the older ones. I believe the lines are capped with rubber plugs when no cooler is present. I can't recall at the moment.

I also wrap the oil cooler lines with some fiberglass tape and then put aluminum tape over that to shield the lines from the exhaust. I believe this also helps cool oil -and also extends the rubber hose life expectancy -when exposed to the exhaust heat.

http://www.xtremethings.com/KLDE-ZE/..._Probe-107.jpg
Fernidad dropping the knowledge again, thanks, I'll be sure to do this on the built motor I'm slapping together, never knew there were two different versions.

Also is that little blade connector on the end the oil pressure sending unit? I need to clean mine to see if that's the source of my low read on my unit or if I actually have a bigger problem

93' PGT 157k stocker current boost project, JVC headunit
2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution 505hp 1800ft.lb., the money maker
j-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #5
Eric351M

So I've been having issues with my daily that have prevented me from working on the probe but found out what the issue was and now I'm good to go.

I was able to get the transmission cleaned up and got the new rack n pinion along with the brake booster and brake master cylinder. The rack n pinion was a mist first as the engine is out of the way and would be much easier to do than with it in the way.

Now after doing some research i found the post that Mr.Jason had where he mentioned the oil cooler lines.

https://forums.probetalk.com/showthr...p?t=1701298118

I would have to take the timing belt off and the front cam to replace the lines. Is this something I should do now as I would regret it down the line?

I am also running into an issue were I have the oulaw engineering intake manifold spacers but my gaskets ripped. I see that their site is down and haven't been able to find suitable replacement gaskets. What would you guys recommend as far as getting gaskets or just ditch the spacers?

I should be getting more done this weekend.

Eric351M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #6
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

Get some copper gasket spray for the IM gaskets.

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote