FD Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD Rims

Ok, I was talking to a guy who said there a different generations or versions of FD rims and what not. I think he said that the 93 FD rims were prone to cracking? Is this true or not and is there a way to find out what year mine are?

the wheels in question were sold in 93 but have 92 stamped on most of them (year of manufacturing) and some have 93 that were still built the same way as the 92's.

This photo explains it more and is exactly what you need to identify them (must be able to turn the wheel to its back side however)
    Attached Files
    -Kyle
    93 Black probe (K-sporting) My Cardomain

Mazdaspeed SVO 2.Slow turbo build teaser thread**

Comment

They are only prone to cracking under hard driving, I don't believe the Probe would put enough force on the wheels to worry about it. But yes, the 94-95 are reinforced.

I thought the 93 FD's were 13lbs each and the 94-95 were 16lb each. Guess the article says different.

Comment

Originally posted by KrAsH View Post
        They are only prone to cracking under hard driving, I don't believe the Probe would put enough force on the wheels to worry about it. But yes, the 94-95 are reinforced.

I thought the 93 FD's were 13lbs each and the 94-95 were 16lb each. Guess the article says different.
        most 1993 rx-7 have "92" FD rims, if they don't have 92 on rim AFAIK then there the 15.3 lb FD rims. The best way to check is through visual inspection tho.

Cracking was a result of structural design deficiencies, and not dependent on how much power the car made.
        -Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by blackpgt1994 View Post
          the wheels in question were sold in 93 but have 92 stamped on most of them (year of manufacturing) and some have 93 that were still built the same way as the 92's.

This photo explains it more and is exactly what you need to identify them (must be able to turn the wheel to its back side however)
          The words are cut off but I'm assuming the one on the right is the stronger one?

most 1993 rx-7 have "92" FD rims, if they don't have 92 on rim AFAIK then there the 15.3 lb FD rims. The best way to check is through visual inspection tho.

Cracking was a result of structural design deficiencies, and not dependent on how much power the car made.
          So if I have the 92 FD rims they are pretty much gaurenteed to crack?
          Last edited by gw93pgt; May 6, 2008, 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by gw93pgt
            The words are cut off but I'm assuming the one on the right is the stronger one?
            Correct
            So if I have the 92 FD rims they are pretty much gaurenteed to crack?
            I've had my 92 FD rim's on two different probe over the last 7 years. Just don't hit any potholes at 120 km/h and you'll be fine.

As a sidenote who in Ontario told you were the 13.8lb's were so weak?
            Last edited by blackpgt1994; May 6, 2008, 03:04 PM.
            -Kyle

Comment

Correct

I've had my 92 FD rim's on two different probe over the last 7 years. Just don't hit any potholes at 120 km/h and you'll be fine.

As a sidenote who in Ontario told you were the 13.8lb's were so weak?
              Some guy that wanted to buy them lol.

Also London Ontario isn't doing to good this year for potholes. It's horrible here. The pot holes are like craters lol.

Comment

Working...
              X