Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Install FX Rear Triangles on a 95-97 Rear bumper (step by step w/ pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Install FX Rear Triangles on a 95-97 Rear bumper (step by step w/ pics)

OK...number 2 on the How To series I am working on. FX rears....

A lot of people have pm'd and emailed me on how I got the FX rears to work on the 95 and up bumper. They fit close, but not perfect to begin with because they are made for the 93-94' bumpers. Here is how you can make them work on the 97' bumper.

List of supplies needed to complete the project:
    ~Tools to remove rear bumper
    ~4 nuts and bolts (aprox: 1-1.5" long)
    ~2 very thin nuts and bolts (aprox 4-5" long)
    ~About 1-2 spare hours

Step 1:
    To start out, test fit the best place to mount the FX rears. Move around and hold where they fit the best. Once the best place is selected drill two small holes in the area that would be right behind the rear tire. Place the two small nuts and bolts through the FX rears and the bumper and leave a little loose. This will give you a nice starting point and help free a hand for the next step.
    Once bolts are in place, it will look something like this:

2 holes in FX rear:

Location of two holes in rear bumper:

Putting the two together:
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...35_85_full.jpg

Step 2:
    Once the bolts are in place (but left a little loose), we will go to work on the worst part of the project. Looking where the very rear of the triangles meets the bumper, you will see where they dont quite fit the 97 bumpers that well. The rear just curls up to much to fit correct and it leaves a gap. As seen here:

To take care of that gap you have to file down the back edge of the triangle. For this job I used a hand held drill with a file type bit in it. Just pulled the triangle away from the bumper a little, filed, test fitted, filed, test fitted, etc. until it fit correctly. In this picture you will see where you need to file to get the correct fit:

Step 3:
    Once you have the edges to filed down close to fitting right it might take a little pushing inwards on the triangle to get it to fit flush with the bumper. This is where the longer bolts are needed. I got very thin (like 1/8" wide) nuts and bolts about 4-5" long. I chose the drilling spot by seeing where the pressure was needed to pull the triangle flush with the bumper. Once I saw where it was needed I drilled a very small hole through the triangle and the bumper. After that I drilled a very small counter sink hole in the triangle to cover the head of the bolt (which keep in mind was very small). Here are some pics to show where drilling took place:
    Hole in FX rear:

Hole in bumper:

Showing the two together:

The Bolt going through the triangle and bumer (inner)

The head of the bolt countersunk into the triangle (outter)

Step 4:
    Once bolts are all in place tighten everything and you will have a nice flush mounted FX triangle. Here is an inner shot of the final product:

And then the complete project on both sides:
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...35_73_full.jpg
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...35_21_full.jpg
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...35_20_full.jpg
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...35_22_full.jpg

Thats it....
    Now some would say bondo over the hole in the FX triangle. You can do that just fine, but I wanted to be able to take mine off and on. As you can see they get chipped really bad in the winter. Thats one good reason to be able to take them off and on. Once painted, the screw holes are so far under the car that they arent visible. Also use touch up paint and color match the heads of the bolts to match. Noone will ever know unless they get on their hands and knees to look. Works for me.

Thanks again for looking...let me know if there are any questions.

later
    Wes
    Last edited by probesport_gt; August 21, 2006, 06:35 PM.
    ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
    No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
    ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

once again.....AMAZING!!!
    --MJ--
    --2006 Ford Fusion I4 SE--Tungsten Silver--6 Speed Auto--

Comment

absolutely, positively, without a doubt the best thread EVER on probetalk, haha, thanks a lot wes...that saves me a lot of thinking which causes me to sometimes get dizzy, haha

Anyways, cant wait to see it painted, later.

Matt
      ******GTS Matt******

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (For Sale)
      2001 Audi S4 (Sold)
      2005 GSXR 750 Track Bike (For Sale)

NPA!

Comment

Looks good, thats about how I installed my triangles. The only differences was I made a tab to give it a mounting point on the inside of the triangle and instead of drilling a hole directly through the triangle I glued a stud on the inside of the triangle and attached it with a nut on the other side to close the gap. But other than that great install, it can be done either way.

Robert
        ///M-POC
        SENSLES 448whp at 24psi Built by Me, Tuned by SHAODOME

Flyrtle 6 - Best 2nd Gen Probe
        MMX - PRD BEST of Show and 1st Place Unlimited Class
        MM8 - PRD BEST of Show

Comment

Re: How To: Install FX Rear Triangles on a 95-97 Rear bumper (step by step w/ pics)

Step 5:

Get car painted.
          Why dont you sticky these in the apperence section?
          Noah
          2000 Audi S4 Stage II+
          95 PGT Sprayed, Turbo'd, Parted, Sold

Comment

FYI: I installed mine the same way and when I accidently backed into a curb, the stock rear bumper mounts broke before the fx triangles screws did.
            2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
            2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

I honestly never knew you were this much of a bodyman.

Comment

very nice!
                Lee Hubanks

As a political discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler or the Nazis approaches 1.

http://members.cardomain.com/ntruder95

Comment

Originally posted by lilpavel
                  The only differences was I made a tab to give it a mounting point on the inside of the triangle and instead of drilling a hole directly through the triangle I glued a stud on the inside of the triangle and attached it with a nut on the other side to close the gap.
                  Actually I thought of that after I did this. Might be a better option as well. Just never crossed my mind until after the fact. Just fiberglass or glue a stud on the inner side of the triangle and still bolt through the bumper. Will cure the same problem and probably look a little better. I might do that the next time I get these painted.

Originally posted by BeatJunkie08
                  I honestly never knew you were this much of a bodyman.
                  Well...this is nothing compared to fitting CW front. I might do a How To on that if I can gather all my pics together and scan them. That was NOT fun. Also full sinsei kit instal with molded rear ground effects added to it. I have actually done quite a bit....Thanks though!

Originally posted by KidGT

Step 5:
                  Get car painted.
                  Why dont you sticky these in the apperence section?
                  Working on both....

Thanks for the replys guys!

later
                  Wes
                  ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
                  No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
                  ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

Comment

Very useful info.

>>>>>>>>>>>
                    1997 Probe GT-S w/T04E,1993 Rx-7, StreetPort, BNR Stage 2 turbos, Apexi PFC,1993 240sx Fully Built SR20det w/T70 monster,1990 300zx 378whp bpu, stock turbos, Jim Wolf ecu,12 second all motor-spray CRX LS-VTEC

Comment

Very productive and helpful member. Thanks for everything Wes
                      95 GT-ZE MTX Arrow Silver -- Debadged -- Tinted -- H4s -- HS GenIV CAI -- PRD Wires -- Aluminum Painted IM -- Red Painted VCs -- Eibach ProKit -- Tokico Illuminas -- 17x7 Silver Konig“X” 5 Spokes -- Falken Ziex 225/45/17 -- Bendix Pads -- CM Stage 1 -- ebay headers -- RT Hi-Flow Cat -- BORLA Cat-Back -- OE Phenolic Spacers -- All Premier System
                      http://photos.imageevent.com/rscummi...y/COMP-web.jpg

Comment

Impressive Mr. Fenton... Very impressive

NOMADGAMER
                        458hp/368tq Sorry its not a KL Series

Comment

You da man!
                          Mezmerize--finally juicin'
                          8-Ball

Comment

I want mine! I'm surprised that FX hasn't made a 95-97 version. Either way, nice post!

-Mike
                            CARS || Maxima SV Sport | Project A-Series
                            BIKES || CBR F2 - Wrecked | R6 - Sold | 600RR
                            SOLD || Probe GT | Jeep TSi | Mustang GT | Subaru Holy Grail

Comment

how did u drill the counter sink hole?
                              97 Probe GT MTX

Comment

Working...
                              X