No announcement yet.

FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you should enter this one in MOTM when it's current incantation is ready. They are liking your car over there, and I've been trying for two years to get a FORD PROBE as their mazda of the month on their mazda website. lol I think you may be the one to pull it off.
    the car that Chris created 93 base 2.0, bought 9/27/1997 ~ 4-wheels are a happy part of every one of my days
    what's happening now ; what was happening ; old c-west ; photo timeline 97-early 08
    the car=once bought.Custom=easy.RaceCar=respected/Earned~as a developed machine from repeated failures & wins & more time spent broken then driving! They are never done once and right as the myth suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarod7920 View Post
      What kind of welder are you using?

Lincoln SP135 PLUS with gas (.030 wire) - works pretty well, but my technique and jigging could use improvement.
      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Finally done with all the turbo piping. Finished the wastegate dump tube, it's now coming out through the bumper just above the exhaust pipe. I almost burned through a tie-down strap on the dyno once with the wastegate dumping straight down without a tube.

Tomorrow I'll finish the driver side window frame so I never have to worry about fastening the top of the lexan prior to passes - that used to be a PITA, and now I can leave the door open up to the burnout box as it gets quite toasty inside on hot summer days.

It's getting closer, but the bullet list of things to tend to is still longer than a yard...
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
          Lincoln SP135 PLUS with gas (.030 wire) - works pretty well, but my technique and jigging could use improvement.
          Trust me i know that feeling. With the awd conversion i have been doing, i am become a much more skilled welder. I have been able to nearly perfext my technique.

I just wish i had a larger garage and a tig. But my little miller mig is a work horse for sure.
          -J-Rod-
          301whp 293wtq 9.5psi 14 degrees back under the knife (high compression & spray)
          93 PGT-T
          96 PGT Reacquired, Revived, and Resold
          08 Mazdaspeed 3 Allwheel drive 5857..Blah blah blah

Comment

what exactly is a travel stop for the clutch pedal? im guessing it stops the pedal from going down all the way.

Comment

That's exactly what it is - a way to physically limit the travel of the clutch pedal.

Comment

so you make the pedal stop right after it engages and disengages

o and sick build

Comment

Parachute lever is installed, cable routed and trimmed. Ready to deploy now, though I'm not keen on re-packing the thing (takes 2 people to do it comfortably) with the stiff ass spring that launches the pilot chute. Hopefully I won't need to use it as the brakes should be good at 150ish still. Gonna do a few test deploys (stationary) before hitting the track for sure.

Next up, brake line upgrade to SS and system flush.
                  Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 3, 2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

dont you need to use the parachute if you trap over 150

Comment

• It's required on the car as a safety measure if you trap over 150, but you don't have to use it if your brakes are enough. It's there to save your ass if your brakes let go.

Comment

• The build is looking sweet!

What kind of breaks you got on the pgt? Any idea when you can hit the dyno and track?

Comment

• Stock brakes, but I think I'm going to upgrade the pad compound. The rotors are new Brembo blanks.

Dyno? No clue, depends on how quickly things get handled. Maybe 4 weeks, maybe 8, or maybe 28. I don't know for sure now.

Some more work:

Chute release mechanism - nothing to it, simple mechanical system.

Release cable at the chute pack - I still need to fab one more bracket to hold the cable taut about 6-10" from the release point. That way it doesn't flop around in the wind once the chute is deployed.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/851fa1b3.jpg

Proof that Ford knew we would put parachutes on Probes - they 'conveniently' designed the trunk keyhole in the ideal spot to route the release cable through....kinda makes you think a little, don't it? [heavy on the sarcasm here, folks]

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/1c242c21.jpg

And the medusa inside....I'm rebuilding the center dash section where the ECU and switches were, and also tidying up the wires. This ought to take a good weekend or two, but with my trusty label maker, solder gun, and heat gun, things should go relatively painless, even if overly tedious. I need to add a relay for the intercooler water pump, but other than that it's just a matter of re-routing and trimming.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/94b7c6dd.jpg
                          Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 6, 2010, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• it looks slow

Comment

• love the trunk key hole modificaiton haha

Comment

• dam it i wanted to be the 1st one to use the key hole but i should have never that you would think of it. very nice work on the leaver looks nice. i hope by this time next year. i have my roll cage and parachute mount done if you dont mind can you post a photo of how the rear kickers off the roll bar ties into the parachutes mount
                                http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2653387.png

Comment

Working...
                                X