disty fixes here they are!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disty fixes here they are!

there are a couple different options for a permanent fix...ive done a lot of research on the disty problem so i know what im talking about..least expensive (brand new module only) is on ebay.. item number: 8011505764. Cost is $75..its listed as a Probe crank angle sensor but this is indeed the internal distributor module for a 93-94 2.0 and 2.5 Probe..the 2.0 ATX Probe disty module has a number stamped on the top of the module (J881).this is a brand new OEM module..the 2.5 ignition module is probably J885... the internal module includes three separate components (embedded into the module)..an ignition transistor that fires the coil (ICM), a CID sensor and last a CKP sensor..the two sensors are both hall effect sensors..the CKP sensor sends a signal to the computer: 4 to 6 evenly spaced pulses for each distributor rotor 360 degree rotation..6 pulses for the 2.5 motor, four pulses for the 2.0 (every 360 degree rotation of the rotor).....the CID sensor sends one signal to the PCM (computer) when piston #1 is at TDC...one CID pulse every 360 degree rotation of the distributor rotor...last is the ignition transistor that fires the coil (commonly called the igniter or the ICM)..it is actually easier to replace the module than to replace the WHOLE distributor (my opinion only). for a newbie its actually better to remove the distributor and then replace the module so you dont drop any screws down into the distributor..the part that always fails is the module so you dont have to buy a whole distributor. the ignition coil is also inside the distributor (underneath the module on the very bottom)..if you replace the module there are two Ford TSBs that show a parts blow up of all components of the distributor: bulletin 00-17-1 issued in august 2000 for the 93ATX 2.0 and bulletin 98-7-1 issued in April 1998 for the 93-94 2.5 motor..all TSBs are listed in their entirety in the Mitchells manual for your year Probe (your local public library should have a complete set of Mitchells manuals)..if you dont want to replace just the module search for a new distributor on Ebay (Distributor King) or get a rebuilt distributor from any Mazda dealer (nobody else)..the reason for this is because Mazda redesigned the module (actually Mitsubishi did). the ignition coil and module are both replaced with new revised components (when bought thru a Mazda dealer)..the new revised module can withstand higher engine compartment temperatures than the OEM module (about 50 degrees F. higher: 300 degrees F. rating)...the Ford p/n for a revised module for a 93ATX 2.0 is F32Z-12A112-AA. (its very hard to find the new revised module by itself thru Ford and it costs as much as a rebuilt disty from Mazda)... Mazda does use the new revised modules in their rebuilt distributors)........there is one more option: a DIY mod that uses a GM HEI module in place of the OEM module. the OEM module has to be bypassed by removing an internal grounding strap (93ATX 2.0 and 93-94 2.5). then the hei module is wired and spliced into the module harness..this would be the cheapest route and it dioes work just fine if you have a failing igniter or ICM...i just wanted to add if you have a header installed its a good idea to wrap it with exhaust insulating wrap to keep down the engine heat....Note: if you decide to buy a Probe crank angle sensor from Ebay it is UP TO YOU TO VERIFY THE MODULE NUMBER (PRINTED ON THE TOP OF THE MODULE INSIDE THE DISTY)....to verify a bad ignition module on a 93 2.0 ATX wiggle the 6 pin connector at the disty with the engine idling..if the engine dies the module is failing...the two diagnostic codes that indicate a module failure for 93 is a code 3 or a code 4
    Last edited by neilh2o; March 1, 2008, 12:44 PM.

hei mod

I just did the HEI mod and it works beautifully. 4 wires and it fired right up. $15 over a $300 distributor works for me.

Comment

Cool ... when I get time, I'll format your post and archive it.
      1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX
      Kitted. Lambos. Slammed. 18s. T3/04E. LSD. MSII. Zoom-Zoom-Psst.

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX
      Lowered. 18s. P5 FSDE. MP3 PCM.

Cardomain - Needs updating.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMetal1
        Cool ... when I get time, I'll format your post and archive it.
        Yes please...

As good as the post is, walls of text are just never pretty.
        Last edited by Maus; July 26, 2007, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Hey neilh2o , if I replace the internal module on my 93 probe disty with one of those 75.00 dollar crank angle sensors, will this take care of my distributor problem permantly, or is it just a quick fix ? Would it be better just to get a new distributor from mazda ? Thanks, Stoke

Comment

A New Disty Is Pretty Pricey Tak It From Me If U Can Find A Better Way Do It

Comment

Mazda wants around $275 with the core (Trussville Mazda online)..the advantage is that you get the new revised higher temp rated module...even a brand new original oem module has a very high failure rate..the newer modules can withstand the heat better...i dont know what module Distributor King uses but they claim to have a revised module in their distributors (Ebay)

Comment

Helpful

Thanks all useful stuff

Comment

Is there a "fix" for the distibutor in a 95 se 2.0 with auto trans?
                  95 Probe SE: Reverse indiglo gauges, sleepy eye mod, custom exhaust

Soon: bigger rear sway bar, front & rear strut tower bars

Comment

Originally posted by CASHMONEYSPEED
                    Is there a "fix" for the distibutor in a 95 se 2.0 with auto trans?
                    Replace it ... unless it's not a US/Canada model, it doesn't have an ignitor inside the disty on 95s.
                    1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX

Comment

You say that the 2.0 and 2.5 6 pin cam sensor/ ignitor interchange. They do not. The 2.5 has a taller neck on it, and they will not swap between housings.
                      94 MX3 V6 - 403 whp 412 ft lbs 15 psi pump gas. RIP
                      98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
                      04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

i read over what i wrote .. i never said they were for sure the same ..the revised ignitor modules have two different Ford p/ns. F32Z-12A112-AA for 2.0 and and F32Z-12A112-BA for the 2.5.. the new revised modules alone are hard to find and obsolete.. a Mazda rebuilt disty has new components inside: coil and module..the CKP and CID sensors and the ICM are embedded in the module..other auto parts stores that sell rebuilt distys usually DO NOT use new components.. they typically get distys from a boneyard, clean them up and sell them at a higher price.
                        Last edited by neilh2o; December 10, 2007, 02:06 PM.

Comment

You did say: "item number: 8011505764. Cost is $75..its listed as a Probe crank angle sensor but this is indeed the internal distributor module for a 93-94 2.0 and 2.5 Probe"

Implying the 6 pin part is the same for both 2.5 and 2.0, which it is not.
                          94 MX3 V6 - 403 whp 412 ft lbs 15 psi pump gas. RIP
                          98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
                          04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMetal1
                            Replace it ... unless it's not a US/Canada model, it doesn't have an ignitor inside the disty on 95s.
                            So where is the ignitor on my 95 se with auto trans? I ask because the car won't start right now due to it not having any spark after the ignition coil. Is this particular distributor also a common cause of a no start/no spark condition?

Also, is the crank angle sensor imbedded in the distributor on my car?
                            Last edited by CASHMONEYSPEED; December 11, 2007, 12:37 AM.
                            95 Probe SE: Reverse indiglo gauges, sleepy eye mod, custom exhaust

Soon: bigger rear sway bar, front & rear strut tower bars

Comment

Originally posted by CASHMONEYSPEED
                              So where is the ignitor on my 95 se with auto trans? I ask because the car won't start right now due to it not having any spark after the ignition coil. Is this particular distributor also a common cause of a no start/no spark condition?

Also, is the crank angle sensor imbedded in the distributor on my car?

You don't have an ignitor.
                              You have a coil instead.

Test that and your ICM.
                              1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX

Comment

Working...
                              X