Ethics in Hiring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics in Hiring...

You have two candiates, both with identical qualifications...one Harvard, One Yale...both willing to work for the same salary.

Only differences:

Candidate 1 is Hot
    Candidate 2 is Ugly

Personally, I would hire the more physically attractive of the two. I am not only hiring an employee, but a face to the company.

What would YOU guys do?

You hire who will help your company most.
    David Coleman #1891 - Fastest of any Gen @ MMIV:
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GSR Special Edition - PINK POWA! - KLZE powered!

The Idiot Post Patrol :
    Fighting ignorance one post at a time [this public service brought to you by Nikki and David]

Comment

Re: Ethics in Hiring...

Originally posted by BigProbe
      Personally, I would hire the more physically attractive of the two. I am not only hiring an employee, but a face to the company.
      Me too. More because I’m sexist rather than concerned about a face for the company.

Comment

Well, according to your scenario, they are equal in every way except physical attractivness. So long as the "lesser" is not handicaped in some way and can file suit, go for the hot one. It's much easier to work with someone that doesn't hurt the eyes.
        If You Can't Learn To Do Something Well,
        Learn To Enjoy Doing It Poorly.

Comment

The hot one, IF she will be seen by perspective clients. If she'll be locked in an office all day on the phone, I'd flip a coin. Or better yet, call them both in my office, explain they're both equally qualified and I don't want to seem like I'm discriminating against the homely, then have them go two out of three in rock-paper-scissors for the job.
          The world is full of thieves. Honor, like chivalry, is dead.

Neither sheep nor shepherd.

Comment

Originally posted by bluehornet
            then have them go two out of three in rock-paper-scissors for the job.
            Arm wrestling would also be an alternative unless the uninviting one was also a behemoth.

Comment

probably the not the hot one. From my experience- people that KNOW they are hot or very good looking tend to be conceeded and stuck up more so than someone who is...lets say challenged in the appearance department.

Comment

Originally posted by Dad

Arm wrestling would also be an alternative unless the uninviting one was also a behemoth.
                Lets say odds are she has greenpeace in tow. One must strive for equality after all, and if her ample corpulence didn't aid in the arm 'rasslin', one of the tree sycophants in the boat would surely harpoon the hottie in the name of free grazing rights.

Comment

The hot one, IF she will be seen by perspective clients. If she'll be locked in an office all day on the phone, I'd flip a coin. Or better yet, call them both in my office, explain they're both equally qualified and I don't want to seem like I'm discriminating against the homely, then have them go two out of three in rock-paper-scissors for the job.
                  Agreed. If potential buyers will be seeing the new employee, I'd probably hire the more attractive one. Otherwise, I'd figure out some other way to fairly give the job.
                  ~SumR
                  I don't own a car anymore and it's weird.

Comment

I never indicated the gender. what if they were both MALE? Would you hire the Brad Pit-looking guy, or the Willim Defoe?

Comment

I never indicated the gender. what if they were both MALE? Would you hire the Brad Pit-looking guy, or the Willim Defoe?
                      They have to be female. You said one of them was hot. Well anyway that is my view. I did mention that I was sexist.

Comment

I wouldn't hire either. :p
                        www.probe-gt.com
                        Minnesota Probe Owners Club
                        15.443@90.44

Comment

Well my bad. I'm straight, so female's are hot to me. Guys are guys. I learned a long time ago I don't have what it takes to tell what makes a guy "hot". Hell, to this day I still find myself looking at a straight couple and silently asking "what the hell does a hot chick like that see in him?"

But back to your point, what I said stands. If it would be a guy that will be dealing with people in person all day, I would most likely consult the advice of some local office females.

Comment

Well my bad. I'm straight, so female's are hot to me. Guys are guys. I learned a long time ago I don't have what it takes to tell what makes a guy "hot". Hell, to this day I still find myself looking at a straight couple and silently asking "what the hell does a hot chick like that see in him?"

But back to your point, what I said stands. If it would be a guy that will be dealing with people in person all day, I would most likely consult the advice of some local office females.
                            Being able to judge a guy as "good looking" or not has nothing to do with homosexuality, and more to do w/ confidence, security, and maturity.

Comment

From a psychological standpoint I would say higher the hot one. Hot people tend to have more self esteem than their ugly counterparts. Therefore, they will be more charasmatic when communicating with other employees and customer. It is that face value that is quite important, you don't want to be staring at someone with a huge scare on their face. You'll be thinking about it the whole time, hmm was it a knife fight? People will be more at ease talking face to face with a better looking employee. Go to cany major corporation, the upper level management tend to be good looking individuals. Sorry, we may not like this reality, but this is the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X