Rack and pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack and pinion

Hey guys so I just had to put a new rack in and it's not center is ther any way to fix that with out taking it out

meaning the steering wheel isnt straight?

The steering wheel doesnt have a master spline to the column, you can attempt to straighten it that way, otherwise alignment needed.
    94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

Ya but I can turn to the right more then the left by a lot

Comment

Where did you get the rack from? Seems to me it was assembled wrong.

Comment

no no, simply put when the person attatched the steering column to the racks splined gear, the rack was not centered. On my night-time quick getaway racecar I have it purposely more to the left then to the right. It's so that I can make the most bitchen U-turns better then a RWD car.

YOu need to do a lot of centering now that it could be anywhere.

YOu need to do these things very carefully or rather your mechanic does:
          1. disconnect steering column from rack at the firewall
          2. center the rack by going fully clockwise then count the turns to the left
          3. and then go clockwise 1/2 of those turns
          4. at this point it's best to remove steering wheel and clockspring, center the clockspring in the same manner as the rack and re-install it.
          5. re-install steering wheel as strait as possible
          6. Now get the car aligned at the same time or you shouldn't be doing any of this
          1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
          1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
          2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
          2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
          1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

This all confuses me,
            I cant see why he couldnt just center the rack using the steering wheel, and then take off the wheel and center it as close as possible (of course being sure not to damage the clock spring) and then have an alignment done.

The only way I see being able to make it so you can turn farther one way then to the other is so move the outer tierod ends.

Comment

Originally posted by short4stuff View Post
              This all confuses me,
              I cant see why he couldnt just center the rack using the steering wheel, and then take off the wheel and center it as close as possible (of course being sure not to damage the clock spring) and then have an alignment done.

The only way I see being able to make it so you can turn farther one way then to the other is so move the outer tierod ends.

Your right so I will make it simpler:

-Remove steering wheel
              -remove clock spring
              -re-install steering wheel and turn all the way to left and then right while counting the turns
              -find the middle & once again remove steering wheel
              -install clock spring After finding it's center aswell & and then install wheel for the last time
              -get the tie rods aligned as now the wheels will be way off

In order to make bitchin u-turns is to have the rack itself ~1/2 turn(of steering wheel) to the right & then re-install clockspring and wheel & then get the tie rods aligned. Now you will have more turn to the left then the right.
              Last edited by mac1; February 9, 2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

i put a rack in my girlfriends car from advance auto parts. had the wheel straight made sure it was installed the rack. went to drive it and i can turn the wheels almost straight across to the left and when i turn it right i barely can turn it much. had it aigned the mechanic said the rack was effed up inside when it was rebuilt. this is like the 4th rack ive gotten from advance between my 2 cars and its getting to be a pain the ass replacing them all the time. just my .02

Comment

I know for a fact rebuilt racks can be defective as much as a KL disty. Been there myself, now I only trust good used ones.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Originally posted by Bergz0 View Post
                  i put a rack in my girlfriends car from advance auto parts. had the wheel straight made sure it was installed the rack. went to drive it and i can turn the wheels almost straight across to the left and when i turn it right i barely can turn it much. had it aigned the mechanic said the rack was effed up inside when it was rebuilt. this is like the 4th rack ive gotten from advance between my 2 cars and its getting to be a pain the ass replacing them all the time. just my .02
                  did you center the rack itself while freshly out of the box before ever getting it mounted?

Comment

I bought a rack from rock auto, mine was NOT centered, so is likely the culprit here...I had to center it all up before I connected everything...luckily I had the engine out when I did it, and that's how I noticed...

Comment

Oh gosh. rock auto. can someone please tell me that they bought something from them that wasn't defective or break 2 days later?

Comment

well they do always offer a value brand product kinda like "valuecraft" from Autozone with the no warranty.

Comment

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
                          Originally posted by matt89glturbo View Post
                          I bought a rack from rock auto, mine was NOT centered, so is likely the culprit here...I had to center it all up before I connected everything...luckily I had the engine out when I did it, and that's how I noticed...
                          Did you get new bushings with the rack you ordered from Rock Auto?
                          1994 PGT-ZE Rio Red MTX. Grey Leather. Intake, Header, HFC, 2.5" Cat-back, Mazda 6 BBK, RR Mounts, HEI, 1997 Taillights, XTD Stage 3, STS, Exedy Clutch M/C. Fully Loaded Daily Driver with A/C.

Comment

Working...
                          X