My cure for the far too common low oil pressure gauge reading problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cure for the far too common low oil pressure gauge reading problem

I tried searching to see if this has ever been posted before but the search function seems to be down.

On both of my 93 PGTs, the oil pressure has always read low. I know it's a common occurance on these cars, but it annyoyed the hell out of me and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do. On my red PGT, the gauge read between the 'A' and the 'L' of 'NORMAL" on the gauge; not too bad but low enough for me to be unconfortable. On my black daily driver PGT, it was extremely low, being only a hair above the red line on the bottom.

I decided to pull off the oil pressure sending unit located to the left of the exhaust manifold (if looking into the engine bay). I took it off and noticed the electrical connector on it was a little corroded. All I did was simply take sandpaper and sanded it clean, installed it back on the car and plugged it back in. I did this on my red PGT first. Went and started the car and the oil pressure read perfecrtly in the middle of 'NORMAL' now. So far it seems to be staying there too. I did the same thing to my black PGT, and it also raised it, moving it from just above that red mark to the 'A' of the 'NORMAL'.

Like I said, I don't know if this was ever posted, but I thought I'd share my little find.
    '93 Electric Red PGT SOLD
    Sponsored By: Dunlop Tires, Acci-Dent, Extreme Parts, Street Graphix, S3 Magazine, Great Lakes Dragaway
    2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

you sir, the probepimp himself, have earned a sticky. i FREAKING DARE someone to make another thread about this in the next week or so

does make perfect sense though, nice find.
    1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
    2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
    2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

It is true!!!
      95 STze MTX Metallic red || 04 9-5 Aero Sport Combi MTX Charcoal Black || 08 Maloo R8 MTX Sky Blue
      "Age is not important unless you're a cheese."
      "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."
      "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience come from bad judgment."
      "... You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try."

Comment

I hope more people go do this if they have oil pressure gauge problems. It worked for me, hopefully it works for others as well.
        Sponsored By: Dunlop Tires, Acci-Dent, Extreme Parts, Street Graphix, S3 Magazine, Great Lakes Dragaway
        2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

Good thought!
          Just went and cleaned it off, it was nice and corroded, but what were they thinking putting it there? No wonder why it gets dirty.
          Waitin for warmer weather to see how well it worked!

Comment

Actually if somebody wanted to eliminate alot of possible electrical problems with a Probe, they should cut all of the black tape off of the harness and solder all of the conections.

There is a connection on the PGT where 3 red wires (1993 PGT MTX) come together right at the "Y" in the wiring harness that goes to the fuel rails and the disty. The 3 red wires are touching each other and there is a large blob of glue holding them together.

~Aaron~
            1993 Silver PGT MTX ~~R.I.P~5/7/14

Comment

well, started the car up today. I get a better reading, its more accurate, but still low. Might also be cuz there 10W30 in the car and its been sitting all winter and its also still -10 outside

Comment

my red probe is around the N
                my black probe is at the M

both 95's. i was just going to replace the sending unit on the red one . thought it was from the Vette filter but no its not. that damn filter dont do shit
                2005 Acura TSX
                2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR

Comment

OK

I was always curious about this....so is the oil pressure itself low, or is it the gauge that just SAYS its low when in fact it is not?

Comment

awesome thanks for the tip. i was always wondering if i had enough pressure or oil in. i was worried but not to worried. I figured it was fine. mine was on L now its on M. I FEEL MUCH BETTER.

Comment

Re: OK

Originally posted by jnoble
                      I was always curious about this....so is the oil pressure itself low, or is it the gauge that just SAYS its low when in fact it is not?
                      It the sending unit that is faulty.
                      94 PGT MTX/Borla Cat-back/Kumho 712s/PIAA 1400XP/PRM CAI/Remote starter/RR-Racing Motor Mount Inserts

http://sirk.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by phalpown
                        awesome thanks for the tip. i was always wondering if i had enough pressure or oil in. i was worried but not to worried. I figured it was fine. mine was on L now its on M. I FEEL MUCH BETTER.
                        Glad to see other people are trying it and seeing it work.
                        2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

Do you have any pics of what it looks like?
                          1993 Electric Blue Probe GT

'V8 Probe ?
                          Shoulda...Woulda...Coulda!?!'

Comment

Originally posted by RoadRashGT
                            Do you have any pics of what it looks like?
                            It kinda looks like an oil filter in a way. Maybe someone else has a pic of it. It's about 2" in diameter or so, and has a single wire atached to the end of it.
                            2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

good idea i will be doing this to my 93PGT tomorow after finals

Comment

Working...
                              X