How To: Sleepy Projector Eye MOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Sleepy Projector Eye MOD

Many have asked how I did this mod, so i made a write up.

The Sleepy Projector Eye Mod for the Ford Probe:
    here is what the finished product should look like...
    Headlight Assemblies
    On Car

parts/tools needed:
    - Thicker sheet metal from home depot, aprox. 1x3 ft. (stainless steel would be better for rust issues)
    - 4 self tapping screws, aprox. 1 inch long, thick for more strength and less vibration
    - 2 sets of foglights (4 total), no more than 3 inch diameter with bottom mounts
    (some mount from back of light and that wont work unless mounting plate is modified)

I am going to be changing my lights for better quality. I recomend the actuall Hella Headlights for custom applications, you can find them on ebay for 150 a pair and can be converted to HID lighting through an H9 Bulb.

- drill
    - metal cutting sheers (or anything power would be easier)

Process:
    - Turn lights on so the headlight doors raise and remove fuse for headlight motors, should be a blue relay in the fuse box under the hood.
    - Remove bulbs and housings by unscrewing both adjusters on either side, and removing spring.
    - Cut the the sheet metal in half on the short length and size them up in the headlight slots. Mark and cut the contour of the bumper edge to secure the sheet metal on the inner lip.
    - Mark and drill 2 holes on each sheet metal peice so screws can be threaded into the plastic lip.
    (I also hear riveting the sheet metal to the lip works too, but you would have to drill them out upon removal)
    - Place the drilled sheet metal on the lip and snug the self tapping screws into the plastic.
    (the mounting base should be pretty secure, mine never vibrate when my stock lights did.)
    - Center and offset both foglights with the contour, put them where they would look good, and mark the fog light bracket holes to be drilled
    (THIS ALSO MIGHT BE A GOOD TIME TO PAINT EVERYTHING BLACK)
    - Remove sheet metal peices and drill marked holes then bolt on foglight brackets and mount lights.
    - Before re-attaching complete assembly make sure you have descent wire lengths and that all have male connectors on them. They well be pushed right into the stock wireing harnesses. there are 3 wires;
    black(neg. ground), red w/ black(low beam), and red w/white(high beam) "correct me if i am wrong".
    - Attach wires, mount assembly and then crank doors down to a snug on top of lights. You can also cut away at the plastch housing to lower the doors even more.

ENJOY!!!

Nick.
    SO LONG, GONNA MISS IT - 96 SE Lazer Red, 95+GT rear w/CR, shaved logos, stock spoiler, LED tails + signals, 18in Enkie DM5-Dunlop, header, testpipe, DTM muffler, mtx swap, molded screen in dash, secret subwoofer...can u find it?He He

Been wanting to do this for awhile, thanks for the writeup!
    Can you post some nightime pics?
    My CarDomain Site
    91 Nissan 240sx any psi
    96 Ford Probe SE 7.5psi
    Only bewsted fs in the midwest!

Comment

Awsome awsome awsome. This is what I have been trying to do. This will make it much easier.

Comment

Have you guys figure dout a way yet to not pull the r fuse and keep the headlight up/down functional? Also a way to shorten the lift so they only rise a few inches for the projectors to pop up when using the switch?
        please update your email address

Comment

yeah, id like to be able to that too, except my motors wont work for some reason
          SO LONG, GONNA MISS IT - 96 SE Lazer Red, 95+GT rear w/CR, shaved logos, stock spoiler, LED tails + signals, 18in Enkie DM5-Dunlop, header, testpipe, DTM muffler, mtx swap, molded screen in dash, secret subwoofer...can u find it?He He

Comment

Added to FAQ. Nice write-up
            ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
            No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
            ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

Comment

maybe im confused but isnt there a right up exactely like this already...except...easier...you mount the lights to the actual flip up door part?....

Comment

There are a few ways to do it and multiple how-to's. Learning new ways never hurts.

What im trying to figure out tho is if there is a way to not pull the R fuse so they still function up/down motor wise BUT stop at a set hight so if you turn your headlights on they pop up sleepy with the projectors at the high you set no messing around trying to align your headlights. Anyone have any ideas? I have spare motors/headlight assem's so im gonna go mess around with them sometime tonight
                please update your email address

Comment

you need a switch or something, im pretty sure ive heard it being done before, if you go to radio shack they sell all kinds of switches and such, im sure there is some kind of maybe timing switch or something...let me know if you figure it out exactely.

Comment

Very similar to Steves write-up. I did my set-up the same way.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/207606/4

Nate
                    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/541142

Comment

mcnickin... are one of those your high/low beam, and one your fogs???? or are they both wired to you main headlight, and one is for brights and other for lows???

thanks
                      05 Lotus Elise
                      95 black pgt-ze... sold

facebook

Comment

I used the factory bucket so I could still have full adjustibility of the light

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701181059
                        MMX BEST ROLLIN WERCK
                        1991 accord wagon..20's, ear bleeding system..storm trooper style /08 CRV black/tan sunroof...stock /1965 thunderbird landau/

Comment

All you would need is a 5-5-5 timer to cut the power off to a relay that is connected before the reta fuse.

Then you use a Potentiometer to control the amount of power going through to make them stop at the right height for the lights.

The potentiometer will slow the speed down so u can set it to a speed that will stop at the height u want whent he 5-5-5 timer cuts the power
                          The "PIMP MY PROBE" Project
                          The First Electric Supercharged Probe
                          Project and car is sadly dead

Comment

how will fog lights react to being wired up to the headlight assembly?...

will they burn out quick b/c the wiring is built for stronger lighting or will it be fine?

i know many of you will probably say wtf are you putting fogs instead of headlights... but i think it will light more than enough for safe night driving... my $30 fogs now do a hell of a job while im running sleepy eye...
                            05 Lotus Elise
                            95 black pgt-ze... sold

facebook

Comment

whoops, i thought this thread was dead, but umm...driftwood, the lights are wired up to the stock harness with high and low. I am ordering an HID kit for 200 bux soon for my projectors, ill get pics whenever that happens though. I keep blowing through h3s so ill get something good and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X