X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Change Guage cluster colour

Example #1

Example #2

OK, Due to the insane amounts of PM's I have been getting asking me how I did this I guess I will create a short how to. Unfortunatly I'm doing this after the fact so I don't have any pictures during the process to illustrate.

I had a spare guage cluster that I used for this project as I was going into it kinda blind and I didn't want to butcher my stock cluster if I messed something up, I suggest you have a backup as well.

Supplies Needed

-Spare guage cluster (optional)
    -Coloured theater gels (available from most music stores or e-bay)
    -butter knife, or small flat head screw driver
    -Nail polish remover or something of the like
    -clear packing tape or something similar
    -philips screwdriver for dissasembly
    -Goo gone (optional)

1. First things first, remove the bezel that surrounds the cluster by unscrewing the (3 I think it is) screws along the top of the plastic. You will have to remove the trim that goes around the steering column and the trim around the bottom of the steering column just to make it easier on yourself. I also removed my steering wheel as it was a PITA to get the cluster out with it still attached to the hub, but if you don't have to all the power to ya.

2. Once all the trim peices are removed your left staring at your cluster, now there should be probably 5 or 6 bolts that hold this in (I can't remember exactly) unscrew all of these and you should be able to wiggle it around.

3. Pull out the cluster slightly so that you can get your hand behind it and on the right feel for the wiring harness that plugs into it. IIRC it just slides in, so just gently pull it out. Now swing the right side of the cluster off to the left and look in so you can see the other harness and unplug it as well. I put it in this order becuase this worked the best for me, as I found the wires on the left much shorter than the ones on the right.

4. Go ahead and slide the cluster out, (this is where it helps if you have already removed your wheel) and remove the black plastic trim ring around it. It just clips in so flip the cluster over and you will see the black tabs, just push each one in and it should release.

5. Remove the plastic shield that goes over top of it and you should now be left with the guages with nothing protecting them.

6. Here comes the tricky part, the needles on this cluster are NOT removable....people say they are but I spent the better part of an hour trying to take them off without success. Use a knife, or a small screwdriver ( I used a - what looked to be icing speader or something) and just gently lift up on the black plastic guage face. These come off in 3 sections, so start at your left and just work your way right, be carefull when prying on the face as you don't want to snap a needle. Once the face is free from the assembly lift up on the side that the needles are not on and slide it over the black plastic piece that the needles attach to. (This is when its handy to have a spare cluster, becuase I just snapped all the needles and pulled it straight up) Now aim both needles the same way and slide the guage face that way being carefull not to put too much stress on the needles. Repear 2x for the other two parts.

7. Alright so the hardest part is out of the way, now your looking at the back of the guage face. Before you start your going to need some nail polish remover, or something of the like and a cloth or papertowel. Apply the nailpolish remover and rub off the green colouring wherever you want to change the colour.

8. After your done removing the colouring I suggest you now take the time to widen the holes on the guages so that the guage face slips over the needle base better. To do this I just suggest using a dremel tool, but becarefull not to apply to much pressure as you don't want to widen the holes too much.

9. Now you need to cut out your theater gels to the correct size and attach them somehow to the back of the guage face. I just used clear packing tape as light is not distorted and you can see through it. Just wrap the tape around the edge of guage face, you'll see an edge of the tape when you look at it from the front, but once the trim pieces are put back on and its assembled you won't see it anymore.

10. Your almost ready to put everything back together, but before you do your going to need to remove any left over adhesive from the clear plastic light tunnels that was previously holding on the gauge face (Goo gone works wonders for this). You want to get ALL of this off as you don't want it pushing against the guage face and interrupting the movement of the needles.

11. Once that is all off, your ready to put the guage face back on. Just slip the needles through first and push down on the guage face so that its not pressing on the needles and slip it over. It should align itself pretty much automatically as the face is tabbed to fit.

12. Re-assemble everything in the opposite manner you took it apart, plug your wires in, and your all set.

Enjoy your new different coloured guages!

This is at your own risk, I'm not responsible if you destroy your guage cluster or car in any way shape or form.
    Last edited by Tweaked; September 7, 2005, 07:20 AM.
    ONPOC.ca Administrator
    K-Series.ca Founder

1993 PGTZE, forever under construction...

I did something similar with my 'Cadillac STS' style guages, posted in this forum about a month ago or so. One thing that I found that worked great was instead of using a gel covering.. using a colored bulb (in my case.. LED's) or you could use gelcaps, and just sanding down the back of the guage face with about 400-600 grit sandpaper. This will score the undercoating, leaving it hazed and clear, and dispense the light evenly through the ticks and letters and such. IMO, this becomes an easier and more reliable solution, since there's no tape that can come off, no coloring differences due to gel that's not pressed flush against the guage face, and you won't need to size anything to the back of the guage faces. It's hrd to tell exactly how either of them look without seeing both up close and in person... most cameras can't capture the true look of the lit up guages, so results may vary, do at your own risk, have fun with it and do what works best for you

In any case, good job, looks great
    Black '93 MX-6 LS - Black Exterior - Tan Leather Interior
    Mods : KL-ZE, eBay CAI, SS Headers, JJ Resonated TP, Paceseter Cat-back, CM Stage 0 'R', Custom STS, JSPECS, Vertex Racing Black Tails, JDM Converted Foglights, Polished PGT 5 Stars
    Soon to Come : Strut Support Bars, Phelonic Spacers, La-Z-Boy Massagers, MX-3 Flywheel, Mr. Speed Clutch, Mr. Speed Supercharger, MegaSquirt'n'Spark-Extra, Full Digital Dash
    Best Run : 15.2 with CEL and leaking tranny

Comment

I wrote this up a long time ago. Everyone was, like, what the **** are Gels?! Some people on here just didn't get it. Anyway, here's my writeup. It includes a writeup for the HVAC controls too.

CLICK HERE
      1994 Aspen Silver Metallic Probe GT

Probes NorthWest Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ProbeGTC
        I wrote this up a long time ago. Everyone was, like, what the **** are Gels?! Some people on here just didn't get it. Anyway, here's my writeup. It includes a writeup for the HVAC controls too.

CLICK HERE

Thank you, I was looking for the post with the info for the wright up for a while now, ever since I started getting 10 PM's daily asking me how I did it....lol

And for the people who don't know what theater gels are, do a search on google. I had no clue at first either, but it's amazing what a good search engine will tell you
        ONPOC.ca Administrator
        K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

Tweaked, I bet everyone was asking you how you did that after you posted the pics on the probe pic thread. Ive seen it and I was wondering but I didnt want to help rape you with the questions lol. Thanks for the write up (make it a sticky thread?)

Comment

yeah and recently when I posted an example of the needles for someone...lol...its ok I don't mind. Its actually kind of flattering I guess. But I wanted to save some time so I figured I'll just post it and if anyone asks me I can say SEARCH!!!! haha
            ONPOC.ca Administrator
            K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

Originally posted by Tweaked
              yeah and recently when I posted an example of the needles for someone...lol...its ok I don't mind. Its actually kind of flattering I guess. But I wanted to save some time so I figured I'll just post it and if anyone asks me I can say SEARCH!!!! haha
              haha, hopeful the search engine will be working soon!

Comment

Ya know, you can use a red sharpie for the needles. I know it sounds ghetto, but it really does work perfect and definetelly adds to the effect. Of course they have blue, green, and yellow sharpies too. You have colored needles during the day and they light up beautifully at night. It looks

BTW, none of my pics show the needles sharpied. So, they used to be that ugly white. Now, everything matches perfectly.
                1994 Aspen Silver Metallic Probe GT

Probes NorthWest Rocks!

Comment

ProbeGTC, I noticed you had Red LED's in the center console buttons as well, did you do that your self or what?
                  J.D.

Hit me up on FaceBook OR FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER BITCHES!!

Comment

awesome, bro... might have to try this, as the gauge overlay I have is starting to piss me off...

Comment

No, problem. Feel free to add it to the how-to section of Probe Enthusiast as well.
                      ONPOC.ca Administrator
                      K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

Just finished this up. Didnt go all red. Red and blue looks good. Instead of the theater gels(colored len's) since they are still being shipped (screw the internet) I bought overhead transparent sheets and using photoshop made a 8 1/2x 11" colored box to the colors I wanted and printed that on the sheet. This way I can make any color I want and still have it be transparent.
                        please update your email address

Comment

ok I broke all of the needles, how can the face clear the needles, the holes on teh faces are smaller than the circles of the needles, I'm confused, i'm going to run out of extra clusters soon
                          Kevin Heisler

90 JDM Fairlady Z , twin turbo lots of stuff done already but not enough space in the sig

Comment

lol...I can't beleive so many ppl are actually doing this. Kevin, if you have exta clusters just break the black plastic peice that holds the needles on and then use another cluster to attach these to. Thats why I really highly reccomeded having 2 clusters.

Oh, do you have an extra one by any chance? I could use another one for something I'm planning.
                            ONPOC.ca Administrator
                            K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

I had an extra cluster already apart due to bordem. I was looking at the green film and figured it wouldnt be too hard just never actually tried to remove it and recolor it untill you posted yours.

Im ordering el film (found in after martet lighted door sils, m3 mirrors, etc) to cut and fit in the guage cluster to "black out" the cluster. As seen on STI's and other cars. No power = black cluster power= lit up and readable cluster.
                              please update your email address

Comment

Working...
                              X