Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW TO: Get 90 Degree Lambos From Universal Hinges.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: Get 90 Degree Lambos From Universal Hinges.

I thought I would post my procedure for modding universal lambo hinges to get a full 90 degree lift. Way better than spending a grand on a set.

Tools Needed: Drill.
    3/8 Bit.
    Dremel or bench grinder of some sort.
    Tape measure.
    Allen Wrenches.
    Parts Needed: Universal Hinges (2).
    12" 750lb Shocks (2).
    10 mm Lock Washers (2).
    M10 x 1.5 Bolts 1" Long (2).
    10 mm Flat/Thrust Washers (4).
    M10 x 1.5 Lock Nuts or jambnuts (2).
    (2) 4" to 6" Wire harness extensions (door to sidewall) or some wire/solder and splice them yourself....(cheaper, but time consuming)

Procedure: The standard shock length for these hinges is 7 1/4". You need to get the 12" replacements like i got off Ebay.

These steps are to be done after fitting the hinges onto the cardoors.

Position your hinge flat on your workbench and line both arms in straight parallel.

Remove the shock tower top bracket.

With your tape measure, find the center of the hole to be drilled by measuring from the center of the original hole up 15/16" and down from the center of the cone stop 2 5/16". Drill a hole with a 3/8" bit, make the hole slightly larger by moving the drill in an outward circular motion(the hole must be just big enough for you M10 x 1.5 bolt to fit through).

Take your dremel,or bench grinder and grind the shock tower fitting so its 5/16" - 1/4" thick on both the long and short sides. Note second photo on short side...It MUST be the inside edge thats grinded!!!!

Now loosen the set screw (allen key) for the open swing of the hinge all the way till its almost out. Open your hinge all the way until it stops. Find the point of contact between both arms and grind just enough away off the door arm to let it go a few degrees past 90. (this allows room for shock installation).

Now take one of your M10 x1.5 bolts (1" long) slip a lock washer over it, and run it through the backside of the door arm. Place a flat/thrust washer over the other end of the bolt, then the tower mount. Tighten till snug as shown:

After tightening:

Repeat steps for other hinge.

Heres a finished hinge (off car for detail)

Install FITTED hinges.

Install shocks as follows:

Open your door all the way and insert your shock through a 10mm flat washer, then through the tower, and attach a m10 x 1.5 locknut or jambnut to the top of the shock. NOTE: The best thing to use here is a THIN jambnut if available, otherwise you may have some clearance issues with the inside of the fender at the top when the door is opened!!!!!

Install your wire harness extensions/splices... Adjust hinges for clearance issues. Your all done!

Hope this helps you other probers with universal hinges. Who says you have to spend a grand to get this look?

UPDATE: Heres a pic of the passenger side closed and open...I edited this post with the proper changes that had to be made, as the original fell short on just a couple of things, so be sure to read the thread again! My car needs cleaned SOOOOO bad!!!!

ONE FINAL NOTE......you have to fit these hinges to your car for all proper clearance issues!!! This mod only shows the way to get 90 degress from the hinges, this thread in NO WAY states how to fit the hinges to your car! My advice is this...fit the hinges, then remove them BEFORE you do this mod. It will save you headaches.
    Last edited by bizkit29588; January 8, 2008, 06:17 PM.

How about some installed pics?
    "I come from a very big family, nine parents."

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story"

Comment

Soon to come....hopefully find the time this evening to get at least one on...will def post installed pics

Comment

they honda civic/del sol hinges i got civic lambo higes on my grand am 75 degrees i like the 75 better than 90. but are those from a civic i wanna buy a set for my probe in spring.

Comment

i heard the bolt on arent good from people that have them due to the fact that they tent to fall little by little until it starts to scratch the paint

Comment

Originally posted by xXGTV6Xx
            i heard the bolt on arent good from people that have them due to the fact that they tent to fall little by little until it starts to scratch the paint
            Ive never had a problem, as long as the hinges are properly fitted and adjusted.

Thread has been updated with final installed pics!!!! Excuse the dirty ass car...lol
            Last edited by bizkit29588; December 31, 2007, 12:27 PM.

Comment

the Installed pics look realy good.
              G35 Coupe
              95PGT kinda stock
              12 R6
              14' Optima slow

Comment

Originally posted by blkgagt94
                they honda civic/del sol hinges i got civic lambo higes on my grand am 75 degrees i like the 75 better than 90. but are those from a civic i wanna buy a set for my probe in spring.
                No they arent from a civic. I bought these off here from someone.

Comment

If anyone else uses this guide, be sure to post feedback. I've also added this to the guide.
                  2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
                  2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

Originally posted by c-man
                    If anyone else uses this guide, be sure to post feedback. I've also added this to the guide.

Comment

easy way i thought up is to buy two of them big struts ones that you have on our hatches an drill holes in the hinge. Since they do go 90degress but the struts they coem with dnt go all 90 but if you would get 2 of the hatch struts an drill them in the hinge it will go 90 i might try it but iam not a fan of 90 i like the 75 lol my 2 cents

Comment

if you try the hatch struts your door will fall on you, plain and simple. the doors are heavier than you think.

Comment

iam talking about the big ones 2 on each door hinges or you can even get the van struts way strongier if you got 2 on each door it will shoot right up

iam gonna be usin the rsx hinges an leaving the small strut on it an also gonna be using the van hatch struts 1 on each door so it will hold the door even more ill get pics once i start soon
                          Last edited by blkgagt94; January 14, 2008, 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Comment

why not just get a set of universal 90 degree doors. they arnt that high
                            MMX BEST ROLLIN WERCK
                            1991 accord wagon..20's, ear bleeding system..storm trooper style /08 CRV black/tan sunroof...stock /1965 thunderbird landau/

Comment

didnt think I liked lambo doors, but thoose are pretty cool
                              94 Probe GT. KLZE Nitrous.
                              Don't make me slap you

Comment

Working...
                              X